Crowded Fort this August?

bgula

DIS Veteran
Wanted to book our usual Full Hookup site for the last 2 weeks of August, but was waiting for my CC to roll over. Had been tracking the Summer offer of ~15% off a site and no problem getting what I wanted, but when I finally went to book it a week or so ago, no Full Hookups available! What!
I've been checking for the past couple of weeks and every day it tells me there's nothing available - tent sites included. Even called on the phone and they told me the same thing.
Now, I've been coming to the Fort over the summer for at least a decade, if not 15 years and during those last 2 weeks of August, the Fort is practically a ghost town, so I don't get it as to why it's showing nothing available for Tent or Full Hookup. I ended up booking a Premium site to get the discount, but I'd rather have our usual FH for a couple hundred dollars less.
Any ideas as to why the Fort is showing as so full?

Not sure why, but keep trying something may open up in another category.

Yeah I see discounted rates for Premium and Preferred for in Sunday 8/17 and out Friday 8/31 (to avoid the Labor Day weekend crowd). No Full sites available.

There are available sites at all levels and discounts from Sunday 8/17 through Sunday 8/26 but if you show a checkout day later than the 26th the Tent and Full sites show no availability.

I don't know what the driver is. Free Dining? earlier Not So Scary Nights? I know those are starting in August this year (if you can believe it).

Otherwise, Dunno. :confused3

Bama Ed

PS - have you booked that time of year just two months out in the past like you are trying to do now?

Yeah I see discounted rates for Premium and Preferred for in Sunday 8/17 and out Friday 8/31 (to avoid the Labor Day weekend crowd). No Full sites available.

There are available sites at all levels and discounts from Sunday 8/17 through Sunday 8/26 but if you show a checkout day later than the 26th the Tent and Full sites show no availability.

I don't know what the driver is. Free Dining? earlier Not So Scary Nights? I know those are starting in August this year (if you can believe it).

Bama Ed

PS - have you booked that time of year just two months out in the past like you are trying to do now?

Yeah, just about every year. Like I said, we always stay in FH and especially the last week of August, the Fort is a ghost town, so I don't get it that there's nothing available. I think it's because of 1 or 2 days in that last week, but not sure what would make them fill up for just a couple of days when in the past there's only a few trailers in each loop. Like I said, I've got a premium right now, but I'd rather save the money and just do a FH. I'll keep checking every day I guess.

If it's a slow period maybe they are doing some renovations to some loops ???

If it's a slow period maybe they are doing some renovations to some loops ???
I'll bet you're right. Ugh. I finally settled on the last week in August at the Fort after changing my mind umpteen times and I was hoping it would be quiet.

I wondered if it was to get the bennefits of being on site and using it as a throw away room? Which would explain why there are more expensive sites open?

Hmm. I might be part of your problem. :rolleyes1
DW and I usually stay at PoR 3rd week of Aug, but we got a TT last Jan so we decided to do the Fort instead. Aug 18-26.

So new campers like us, may be taking up spots. Previously if we were at the Fort in was in a cabin.

That would have been strange to not be able to get a site. Thanks to your question and the responses, I called back and was able to get a discount, this a refund, on the preferred site for Aug. 11-25, so clearly there were openings throughout the Fort. Thanks for the great question and have so much fun!

Bama Ed

Yeah, we are coming down with a Checkin date of 8/12. DW and I were surprised that we are able to do the NSSHP. DW is excited about that. I just don't see Halloween in August, but I will be glad that the DW will get to enjoy it. Hopefully the crowds won't be too bad. I didn't even check any crowd calendars. Throwing caution to the wind this year.... :D

August 12, you may be ok with the crowds. Schools are already starting to go back by then.

j

August 12, you may be ok with the crowds. Schools are already starting to go back by then.

j

Yep, my school system starts back on Wednesday August 8 here in Alabama which is pretty typical for school systems in the South. So starting in mid-August WDW may see a bit of a drop in attendance (offset I'm sure by staffing levels and hours of service).

Bama Ed

PS - BTW we start that soon (it seems ridiculous at first) so that we can be out in the spring by Memorial Day weekend or there abouts.

It does seem early to go back the first week of August, since here in the northeast it's after Labor Day. Then again, we don't get out till mid to late June. It's a trade off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!