Crowd Level predicitions 12/17-12/24

pjhootch

DIS Veteran
I just got an update from Touring Plans that made me cringe, even though I was expecting high crowds for these dates. The TP predictions seemed low, compared to the FP+ availability (or lack of availability) that I am seeing for the 17-23rd. I guess my fears were correct, and it looks to be more crowded than originally hoped. It looks like the weather may be great that week too, which is not going to help any. Maybe I should hope for rain? Or for snow? ha ha. It will all work out fine in the end no matter what- but I will definitely be rope dropping and leaving early many days.

Oh my, I saw the same thing and was like WHAT?! This is our first time going at/near Christmas. We usually go before Thanksgiving and the crowds are pretty low/manageable till that week of Thanksgiving, but then we are usually heading out. We went once during spring break where there were crowd 10 levels and MK closed....it was miserable. I told myself and family that we would never go back over spring break. Now I've got 3 level 10s for the parks that we are visiting?!! Oh my nerves, lol!!

I got a similar update for 12/25-1/2. Almost every park is projected to be a 10 every day. :crowded:

I got the same e-mail and at first I was a little miffed, but, honestly, I planned these days soooooo long ago to make sure I lined everything up (AK day later in the trip for FoP, earlier MVMCP, etc.) there's nothing I can do about it now. We have reservations and FP+ for everything we want to do and everything else is always gravy to us anyway. It is what it is and yes, the weather looks AWESOME!!!!!

They just updated crowd levels for 12/31-1/5 as well. To be honest the update doesn't concern me. All along I have just assumed that it would be crazy, super, ridiculously busy no matter what number the crowd level number was. I think with great touring strategies we will all be fine! :thumbsup2

We got one for our next three trips through next March. Wasn't miffed at all. Would prefer to have more accurate information and change plans where possible. We check the crowd calendar on a regular basis, though, to see what was predicted and what the actual level was. We were assuming a +1/2 across the board based on what has been happening the last couple of months- and that turned out to be a pretty accurate estimate.

I guess my fears were correct, and it looks to be more crowded than originally hoped.
You're not really surprised though, are you?
It looks like the weather may be great that week too, which is not going to help any.
I would disregard any weather forecast, good or bad, this far out.

I'm getting as far away from WDW as I can, Atlanta area here I come.

We've been here since 12/6. Whatever your projected crowd level is just go ahead and add +3 to it, because that's what it has ended up being for us so far. It is CROWDED. Advanced planning has been a life saver. Every sit down restaurant we have been to has been denying all walk-ins. Touring plans had originally said our entire stay was supposed to be only level 3 or 4 crowds, but it is so much more than that.

They predicted a 3-4 (whatever that actually means) crowd level during the Christmas holiday season?

This week isn't bad historically- nor was last week/the week before when we were there. DAK was very slow, same at EP until late afternoon. MK was empty at RD on a party day. Crowds don't start 'surging' in numbers until the week before the actual holiday. At that point crowd level predictions don't matter, as you said it will be packed :P

Wait...what? They predicted a 3-4 (whatever that actually means) crowd level during the Christmas holiday season? :lmao::lmao:
I went this week 2 years ago and it was very low crowds. Never waited more than 10-15 minutes for anything. Historically, last week and this week should be a very low crowd time. But we all know historical data doesn't really mean a whole lot.

I honestly thought they were lowball predictions to begin with. :confused3

I expect massive crowds and am prepared for it. Anything lower than that is just an early Christmas present.

Wait...what? They predicted a 3-4 (whatever that actually means) crowd level during the Christmas holiday season? :lmao::lmao:

This is our family's first time during this time of year, we normally go in May. So yeah, all we had to go on was the crowd predictions. No need to be snarky about it. :/

but I will definitely be rope dropping and leaving early many days.

Yup, that's what you have to do. The earlier the better. It is too far out to predict the weather but be prepared just in case it is a bit chilly as you are waiting for that rope to drop. It was a sunny but brisk 37 here this morning.

This is our family's first time during this time of year, we normally go in May. So yeah, all we had to go on was the crowd predictions. No need to be snarky about it. :/

Just wanted to send some love your way. Klayfish is always super helpful on the boards. My guess is the laugh was at the miscalculation of Touring Plans and not directed at you. I hope you had a magical trip despite the crowd level!

Dec 27-Jan 3rd will be our first visit during the busiest season. What impact (if any) will there be for our table service reservations and FPs? Will it just be longer thru security to get into the park and walking slower as the park is more crowded? Or will there also be longer waits for all transportation all week or something else I can't think of. Obviously waiting in lines without FP will be drastically longer than we are used to.

I got an update for our trip at the end of January too. Sure, it's jarring at first, but it just goes to show that even during times that have been traditionally "slow" (like the end of January) are starting to get more and more crowded. You have to go to WDW expecting crowds -- at least you'll be mentally prepared!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter