Cross Post-DCL Wedding- What would you do?

What would you choose?

• Cozumel

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Grand Cayman

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • On Board

Votes: 16 55.2%
  • Falmouth

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please tell me)

Votes: 4 13.8%

• Total voters
I am super confused by something. You mentioned you realize DCL does the legal ceremony in port before embarkation but I don't think that is something they will arrange for you if you aren't having a wedding through them.

You need blood tests to apply for a marriage licence in Mexico and I think those have to be performed like 3 days before the wedding but I could be wrong g about that. I don't know what the marriage licence requirements are in Jamaica but I can't imagine that is something you could take care of day of.

Are you maybe thinking of doing the legalities at home before you leave?

Just be aware, if they have to skip your port, all this planning could be moot. Be sure to clarify what happens if the ship doesn't port.
or even if they don't skip your port, the weather might not cooperate

One question on the wedding dress- is it an obvious wedding dress or could it be a normal formal dress? Like the parks Disney has a policy that you can’t wear your wedding dress on board if you don’t have a Disney wedding. We have actually seen them tell someone taking pictures in their dress that they could not be in the public areas. (It’s their whole thing about ensuring there’s only 1 bride and brides aren’t running into each other, and part of how they just the wedding up sale).

If it can be considered a “formal” you’d be fine, but if the only thing holding you back from Cozumel is not wearing your dress that might not be an issue for you.

This is a BIG THING!

If you want to wear your wedding dress around on the ship, you HAVE to have a Disney wedding.

OP--Elope. Have a party when you get home. It's your and your future husband's wedding and all this destination-wedding stuff sounds overly complex and fraught with difficulties to me.

I'm wondering if all the people who've invited themselves have any idea how much a DCL cruise would cost them, assuming you're not paying--and do all these people really want to go on a cruise anyway?

I would do the onboard wedding, it's your only 100% safe option. Ports are always subject to cancellation or changes. My wedding is not something I would gamble on.

Note - I got married on a Princess Cruise during a port day in St. Thomas....but I was young and uninformed and we never knew that ports could be cancelled :scared: . It worked out, but if I had known that at the time I would have been a nervous wreck right up until the moment. I guess ignorance is bliss lol.

or even if they don't skip your port, the weather might not cooperate

This is an excellent point! Your beautiful location shoots on the wild side of the island won't be so great during a monsoon lol.

If you wanted to elope, elope. Destination weddings were already complicated before Covid 19, there’s the high costs for attending guests, the question of who does and does not get invited (a relative of mine invited me without my spouse. If it had been a local wedding, I would have been annoyed but would have attended. But no way was I paying $$$$ to fly to the middle of nowhere alone). You seem like you don’t care who comes but you will be paying for a reception of some kind and that can get expensive. And I think you will drive yourself crazy trying to pick the perfect day that pleases everyone. For all the reasons listed by PP, I think an onboard wedding is your safest bet, especially given all the unknown circumstances. But I think you should just elope if that would make you happiest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!