Cross Country trip to DLR?

Our 2 Princesses

DIS Veteran
Our family has never been to DLR and that is one of our dream trips. :) So, I was thinking the other day how wonderful it would be to take our oldest dd (plus our younger dd) for her graduation trip in a couple years. We would also love to do a cross-country trip to California, ending at DLR. I was thinking it would be nice to rent a car here and fly home from L.A. We would love to stay in Yellowstone for a few days, etc. My question is... has anyone from the East coast or Mid-West done this type of trip? What are your tips, where did you stay and what did you see along the way, etc? Also, if you know of anyone trip reports of families that have done this, I would love to read them. (We would have to do this as inexpensively as possible too.) Thank you!! :goodvibes

I've done a lot of far and wide road trips.

Being from O Hi O, it would be easy to start or end on a north route to take in Yellowstone.

Do you camp? That can save a lot of money. You can get a National Parks Pass and visit a lot more parks than Yellowstone.

I would suggest I 40 one way to visit the Grand Canyon, maybe looping up to Vegas if you don't see it going the other way.

Using 90 the other direction. Badlands NP, Custer SP, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons. Then either down I 15 to Zion and Bryce to Vegas. Or 15 to I 80. Lake Tahoe, San Francisco, Highway 1.

There are a lot of options to see along the way and many experiences, it mostly depends on how much time you can commit.

For DLR, I would suggest visiting during the middle or summer. From July 15th to August 19th. Midweek is optimal because weekwends area lot more crowded. If you could be there soon after graduation meaning early June it could be better or a messy. Carsland will be opening at a so far unknown date and it could bring a lot of crowds in early June.

For DLR planning please read the DLR Guide for WDW vets.

I've done a lot of far and wide road trips.

Being from O Hi O, it would be easy to start or end on a north route to take in Yellowstone.

Do you camp? That can save a lot of money. You can get a National Parks Pass and visit a lot more parks than Yellowstone.

I would suggest I 40 one way to visit the Grand Canyon, maybe looping up to Vegas if you don't see it going the other way.

Using 90 the other direction. Badlands NP, Custer SP, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons. Then either down I 15 to Zion and Bryce to Vegas. Or 15 to I 80. Lake Tahoe, San Francisco, Highway 1.

There are a lot of options to see along the way and many experiences, it mostly depends on how much time you can commit.

For DLR, I would suggest visiting during the middle or summer. From July 15th to August 19th. Midweek is optimal because weekwends area lot more crowded. If you could be there soon after graduation meaning early June it could be better or a messy. Carsland will be opening at a so far unknown date and it could bring a lot of crowds in early June.

For DLR planning please read the DLR Guide for WDW vets.

Thank you so much for all of your suggestions. I appreciate it very much!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter