Cross-country driving to Disneyland 2016

Sandi S

Sew Crazy for Disney!
I have just booked 4 days at Disneyland for next July as part of a cross-country driving trip with my 4 kids. I am so excited! We are driving from North Carolina to California with lots of stops on both directions.

Is anyone else on here planning a coast-to-coast adventure for 2016?

Possibly - I've been thinking about driving from Orlando to DL for one of my vacations next year. I know it would be faster to fly, but also more expensive since I can book hotels on loyalty points so the only travel expense is the gas to get there. I figure I can drive it in about 2 1/2 days each way and have five days to spend at the parks. I just haven't made up my mind if I'm up to that long a road trip solo . . . .

Hi OP! We have been planning to do this after my son is in college (just my husband and I). We live in Oregon and are planning to drive through the SW to Florida in July (for WDW and to visit friends) and then up to Holden Beach, NC for our standard August vacation! I LOVE the NC islands! We will have an RV, but it will still be a very long trip..... Have fun!

You are a better person than I am. I read your post and all I could think of National Lampoon's Vacation (the original, not the recent remake), and pictured you and yours loading up the Family Truckster with Holiday Road playing in the background. Thanks for making me smile.

Actually, we recently finished a 7000 mile 44 day cross country RV trip from our home in Calif to WDW and ending up at the DLR. It was FABULOUS!!

We took I40 east, cut south from Dallas hitting the gulf in Mobile, then east to FL. Spent a week at Ft Wilderness (our first trip to WDW) then headed north via I95 to Great Smoky Mtn Natl Park for 8 days, what a beautiful place! Crossed back west via I70 to Denver for a few days, then on to DLR for 6 days for the Diamond Anniv 24 hr party kickoff. Then we headed north for home via 395.

Road Trips are the BEST! I know you'll have a great time.

You are a better person than I am. I read your post and all I could think of National Lampoon's Vacation (the original, not the recent remake), and pictured you and yours loading up the Family Truckster with Holiday Road playing in the background. Thanks for making me smile.
LOL - I love Vacation...

I actually drive cross country with my herd when they were 2,4,7, and 8. That was interesting. I think this one will be easier.

Not cross country but we are planning on driving from Colorado to California and going back to Disneyland in late June 2016. My son is interested in UNLV so we are going to stop in Vegas, see the Hoover Dam, stay there for a couple of days and head to Anaheim!

That's awesome! I drove with friends from ct about 12 years ago and had a blast. We stayed at some shady places along the way :)

I've never driven cross country, but have traveled by car from northern Utah to Southern Cali numerous times, as well as all over Nevada and Arizona. I LOVE road trips. We have plans to drive to Florida and many other places in the Eastern US when our kids are a bit older.

Not driving straight to Disneyland, but I will be moving cross country from NYC to Portland, OR in November of this year...all my worldly belongings made to fit in my Cube, my best friend in the passenger seat keeping me company before flying back home to New York, 1 day in Chicago just because we can, pulling in just in time (fingers crossed) for Thanksgiving dinner at my mom's house! Then we are celebrating my return to the West Coast after 15 years with a trip to Disneyland a week later :-) Hoping for good weather heading through the mid-west and no early snow storms!! Last time I did this trip was when I moved from Portland to NJ in July of 2001...a different world then, that's for sure.

Not coast to coast since we live near Memphis, but in 2012 we did the Southwestern route through Texas, NM and Arizona to San Diego and LA. We hit Vegas, Hoover Dam, the Grand Canyon and so on on the way back. Last year we drove to SF and up through Portland and Seattle and then back to Memphis.

Not coast to coast, but from Texas to Disneyland in January. Excited about going west, the last two years we've gone from Texas to Walt Disney World. I love a good road trip!

From the Gulf Coast to the West Coast.
Also planning a July 2016 trip to Disneyland. It will be a trip, a reunion, and the first time that I've been there in 20 years.

Just looked into this myself June 30th thru July 10th...Leaving from MS. Looking like we may just do it.

We did a coast to coast train trip last summer, Emeryville, CA to Boston, MA. Amazing trip!
Enjoy your trip this summer!

I think your enjoyment will depend on how much time you have.

The best trip I've ever taken was Miami, Atlanta, St. Louis, Rocky Mt NP, Ft. Laramie, Grand Teton NP, Yellowstone, Glacier NP, Custer Battlefield, Devil's Tower NM, Rapid City SD (Mt. Rushmore, Badlands NP, Wall Drug, Custer State Park, Black Hills), and then home via Iowa, Kentucky etc. 8500 miles, 5 weeks, mostly camping in a pop-up with two kids.

I certainly wouldn't want to do a 2 week coast to coast and back trip, though!

We did the opposite in 2012...CA to WDW. It was great! My family loves road trips, too. We plan on seeing all 50 states...we are half way there. However, I am starting to feel the time crunch as my oldest is already 15. :( I see you are not far behind with your 14 yr old...enjoy those limited summers with your babies! It sure goes fast, doesn't it?

We were thinking about a cross country drive this September from Pittsburgh, but I could only get 20 days off from work. So we decided to fly into Vegas. Some of the things on our itinerary are, the Hoover Dam, Bryce Canyon, Horseshoe Bend/Antelope Canyon, Monument Valley, 4 Corners, Arches, Grand Teton, Yellowstone, Mt. Rushmore, family in Denver, Focus on the Family(Colorado Springs), family in NM, Carlsbad Caverns, Tombstone, family in AZ, Corona del Mar, Huntington Beach and we'll cap it off with 4 full days at DL Resort. I think we'll log well over 4,000 miles.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!