Crockpot Questions

4merlurkerchris

Mouseketeer
What type of crockpot do you have and also what size is it? For example, what quart size would you need for a 4-6 pound roast? Thanks!
Chris:)

I didn't even know they came in sizes. LOL I have a standard size large round one. I can fit a pretty good size roast into it. I would think that most recipes for crock pots would fit in most crock pots.

I have a 5.5 qt round corningware. I love it because the crock can go on the stove in the overn or in the microwave. It does seem to cook a little faster than the older ones but a wed site I read once said all the new ones reach a hight temp. for cooking sfty. I bought a "standard size" rival crock pot first took in home and started making my pot roast. By the time I added all the ingredients it was completely full. I emptied it out. cookled my roast on top of the stove, cleaned up the crockpot and took it back ot the store. The corningware one is larger around and shoallower than the old kind. Makes stirring a lot easier. I have been looking for a smaller corningware one to cook smaller recipes.

Now I really have to go see the size of my crock pot and find out if there is a larger one. Sometimes when I am using mine I find that I am filling it to the brim too. Maybe a bigger one would be a good idea.

Beth..I think the "standard" crock pots are 3 qt. but they can be as small as 1 or as big as 6 from what I have seen

I have the 5 qt size with the removable crock. I don't use it oftne because I forget to defrost my roast and don't have the time to wait hours for t to cook. The 6 qt is nice and come in an oval shape, nice for oblong shaped roasts. The 3 qt is too small if you have a family to feed, nice for smaller portions, and does not have the removable insert.

I've always had the removable stone crock type.

When we were first married (26 yrs ago!) the 3qt was big enough for the size roast we bought at the time - being broke & just the 2 of us. After the kids came along, we needed more potatoes & carrots & upgraded to the 5qt. (Same size roast - still broke) A couple of years ago we upgraded again. DS started requiring "slabs of meat" at about age 15. This time we got the biggest we could find (not sure, 6qt??) but it is oval. when you buy a rump roast or top round & put it in frozen, the round crocks don't quite fit the size we need now. This may be what you need for a 4-6lb roast - especially if you forget to get things out of the freezer like I do!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter