Critters Around The Cabins

CHEMISTSP

Unapologetic Disney Nerd
Hello! So I am vacationing in late August with my family and staying in a Cabin in Fort Wilderness. Given that this a more natural setting then a traditional resort, I was wondering how common it is to see critters such as poisonous snakes and gators around the camp grounds? Also, how are the insects in August? We have some resort days planned and just want to be as prepared as possible.

Thanks in advance for your answers! I truly appreciate this community.

Welcome ChemistP I am sure you and your family will love the Cabins. On the subject of insects Disney does spray for them on a daily basis and in my experience with the majority of my trips being in the Oct/Nov time frame not a problem. We found the same in our Sept. trip.
We have stayed in Ft Wilderness since 1987 and I have yet to see a poisonous snake. I have seen a few alligators in Bay Lake but the majority of them while on a guided fishing tour far away from populated areas. Keep in mind Ft W is located in and surrounded by undeveloped forest/swampland. Any existing body of water in the state Disney included has the POTENTIAL to contain a hidden Alligator and steer clear of areas that offer limited visibility and are on the swampy side
Fort Wilderness does offer the opportunity to see a wide variety of wildlife. Turkeys, deer, armadillos (Opossum on the half shell), rabbits, squirrels ( You'll learn how dangerous they are in time ) and the ever present tree lizards. Remember they are in fact WILD animals and you should be fine

Hello! So I am vacationing in late August with my family and staying in a Cabin in Fort Wilderness. Given that this a more natural setting then a traditional resort, I was wondering how common it is to see critters such as poisonous snakes and gators around the camp grounds? Also, how are the insects in August? We have some resort days planned and just want to be as prepared as possible.

Thanks in advance for your answers! I truly appreciate this community.
Right by our cabin, there seem to always be squirrels and the little lizards. We loved seeing the turkeys one early morning on the sand by the boat dock.

We’ve been going since 1991. About ten years ago the gators were more common to be seen in the campground. Especially in the canal near the group camping. However about three years ago Disney started a relocation program for the benefit of all. Our last three trips we have not seen one. But as the previous writer stated it is their habitat so they are there, just not in the numbers they once were. Although we have seen snakes there were none that seemed to be poisonous. If your diligent in your obeservatiins of your area you’ll be fine. Have a great time we’ve been there over 20 times and would go nowhere else

Be very careful with leaving any food out on the counters at the cabins. We had a cake that was boxed, and the ants came for it in less than half a day. Luckily we noticed before they actually made it inside the box, but we had to put it in the fridge for the rest of the trip.

ChemistP a word of caution about the small tree climbing gators. While they really wont want to eat you they are not very edible. Our Katie last Oct ate one while we were in Tampa and she spent that night getting sick like 4 times

We’ve been going since 1991. About ten years ago the gators were more common to be seen in the campground. Especially in the canal near the group camping. However about three years ago Disney started a relocation program for the benefit of all. Our last three trips we have not seen one. But as the previous writer stated it is their habitat so they are there, just not in the numbers they once were. Although we have seen snakes there were none that seemed to be poisonous. If your diligent in your obeservatiins of your area you’ll be fine. Have a great time we’ve been there over 20 times and would go nowhere else

Attachments

• CB9E71EE-945E-4099-BF5C-DD52A103BB43.jpeg
    CB9E71EE-945E-4099-BF5C-DD52A103BB43.jpeg
    120.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 6CE4ED1B-665C-4C26-8C0B-567CC4DA8B51.jpeg
    6CE4ED1B-665C-4C26-8C0B-567CC4DA8B51.jpeg
    185.3 KB · Views: 27
  • DDB6CE35-A28B-45D1-B0E1-5DD9BA0FA7EC.jpeg
    DDB6CE35-A28B-45D1-B0E1-5DD9BA0FA7EC.jpeg
    164.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 4B44FC44-72CF-44FA-8F6E-6E8222C23B79.jpeg
    4B44FC44-72CF-44FA-8F6E-6E8222C23B79.jpeg
    216.9 KB · Views: 25

Littlejoe Great pics. Are the gators in the canal area behind the 2300 loop we were there a few years back and got a heads up about 1 there Never saw it but did hear it a few times

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter