Critique My Reservations!

Twitterpated!

Mouseketeer
After long planning and reserving and canceling and reserving some more, I think I have finally set my reservations in stone. It's me, my DH and my DD6, staying at the Pop Century. Important things to note: 1.) We are huge foodies (did the V&A Chef's Table the last time we visited in 2007) DH recently graduated from culinary school and we have been known to drop a pretty penny on a good meal. We are also very adventurous eaters, but can also appreciate good old fashioned comfort food. 2.) My husband LOVES a good breakfast and is always in a better mood if he starts his day with something good to eat. 3.) My DD LOVES any and every character. (She even loves that scary Chuck E Cheese rat!) SO, we are doing the Deluxe Dining Plan, and a lot of our reservations are either signature meals or character meals. Wherever you do not see a meal planned we intend on using the remainder of our TS credits on counter service/and or having snacks. How does this sound:

Day One Arrival and MK
11:00 am : Counter service breakfast (either at Pop or MK)
6:30 pm : Cinderella's Royal Table

Day Two AK and Boardwalk
8:05 am : Donald's Safari Breakfast at Tusker House
7:15 pm : Flying Fish Cafe

Day 3 Epcot
8:05 am : Princess Storybook Breakfast at Akershus Royal Banquet Hall
1:30 pm : Les Chefs de France
7:30 pm : Restaurant Marrakesh

Day 4 Free Day
9:15 am : Whispering Canyon Cafe
7:15 pm : Jiko

Day 5 Free Day Mk evening
9:15 am : Grand Floridian Cafe
5:45 pm : Cinderella's Happily Ever After Dinner at 1900 Park Fare
9:00 pm Spectromagic!

Day 6 Hollywood Studios & Ft. Wilderness Campground
12:30 pm : Sci-Fi Dine In Theater
7:15 Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue

Day 7 Epcot and Hollywood Studios
8:35 am : Goofy's Beach Club Breakfast at Cape May Cafe
6:00 pm : 50's Prime Time Cafe
9:00 pm : Fantasmic! (Should I make the Prime Time reservation earlier?)

Day 8 MK
8:10 am : The Crystal Palace
5:45 pm : California Grill

Day 9 Last Day (Late flight home)
8:00 am : Kona Cafe
2:00 pm : Biergarten Restaurant

Okay, hit me with your best shot!

After long planning and reserving and canceling and reserving some more, I think I have finally set my reservations in stone. It's me, my DH and my DD6, staying at the Pop Century. Important things to note: 1.) We are huge foodies (did the V&A Chef's Table the last time we visited in 2007) DH recently graduated from culinary school and we have been known to drop a pretty penny on a good meal. We are also very adventurous eaters, but can also appreciate good old fashioned comfort food. 2.) My husband LOVES a good breakfast and is always in a better mood if he starts his day with something good to eat. 3.) My DD LOVES any and every character. (She even loves that scary Chuck E Cheese rat!) SO, we are doing the Deluxe Dining Plan, and a lot of our reservations are either signature meals or character meals. Wherever you do not see a meal planned we intend on using the remainder of our TS credits on counter service/and or having snacks. How does this sound:

Day One Arrival and MK
6:30 pm : Cinderella's Royal Tablenever done

Day Two AK and Boardwalk
8:05 am : Donald's Safari Breakfast at Tusker Housenever done
7:15 pm : Flying Fish Cafenever done but have read rave reviews and it is on the list for our next trip

Day 3 Epcot
8:05 am : Princess Storybook Breakfast at Akershus Royal Banquet Hallwe've never done (we did do lunch and didn't care for, but I understand breakfast is much better)
1:30 pm : Les Chefs de Francenever done
7:30 pm : Restaurant Marrakeshnever done

Day 4 Free Day
9:15 am : Whispering Canyon Cafehope breakfast is better than dinner -- yuk
7:15 pm : Jiko never done

9:15 am : Grand Floridian Cafenever done
5:45 pm : Cinderella's Happily Ever After Dinner at 1900 Park Farenever done -- although I've read better reviews for breakfast than dinner

12:30 pm : Sci-Fi Dine In TheaterLOVE! Be sure to get the onion rings
7:15 Hoop-Dee-Doo Revuenever done

8:35 am : Goofy's Beach Club Breakfast at Cape May Cafesecond favorite after Crystal Palace for breakfast as far as character breakfasts
6:00 pm : 50's Prime Time Cafehaven't been in over ten years but always enjoyed. You will NOT be able to get 6:00 for dinner with the Fantasmic Package. I believe the latest reservation given out is 5:00 or 5:15

Day 8 MK
8:10 am : The Crystal Palaceour favorite...a must do every trip
5:45 pm : California Grillnever done a signature

8:00 am : Kona Cafenever done
2:00 pm : Biergarten Restaurantlove this restaurant--always a good meal

Well, I'm not much help (comments in red) as we've not gone to a lot of your places, but I commented on the ones we have done

I don't have a Fantasmic package. 50's Prime Time doesn't offer one. I made my reservation for 6pm and planned to wait in line for Fantasmic after. But if it takes awhile to get seated at Prime Time, I'm not sure if I will be able to get into Fantasmic. I'm thinking I should make the reservation earlier.

I think you have some decent choices. My only comments would be:

Cinderella's Royal Table: You're not going to get a great meal. You're paying a premium to eat inside the castle and see characters. If you can deal with most character meals being more about charactes and less about food, your expectations won't be too high. (Like any generalization, there are always exceptions. People consistently rate the food higher at Crystal Palace.)

You picked some of my favorite non-character meals. Jiko, Flying Fish, California Grill. Flatbreads and sushi are terrific at CA Grill. Just sayin'. ;)

I thought Hoop De Doo is a heckuva lot of fun, and the homestyle chicken dinner was fairly decent. Basic comfort food.

Sci Fi Lunch: Your best bet for lunch would be burgers. I've seen too many inconsistent reviews of anything else ordered there. I might have missed it, but I haven't seen anyone have a bad burger there. I can't say the same for the other menu options.

Kona Cafe. If you want a great appetizer, get the crab cakes. I ordered them at the sushi bar area and thought they were fantastic. And the pomegranate BBQ pork chop, if it's still consistently good, would be the item I'd order. I'd stick with that, the teriyaki steak or even the chicken dish. I don't think much of their fish dishes. Best part: Soft, sweet loaf of Hawaiian bread with macadamia nut butter. They WILL bring more, but you might not have room for dessert. :laughing: It's Kona Cafe crack. ;)

I went to WDW in October for the food and wine festival, and in December for meeting up with Disney fans/friends. My most memorable meal outside of Vicki and Al's Diner ( :laughing: ) was at Sanaa for dinner. I'm not a fan of curry, but I chose my entree wisely. It was the sustainable fish. Arctic char with shrimp and scallops, sitting on top of a veggie bed with a light broth sauce under it. I would return to Sanaa just for that dish.

I don't have a Fantasmic package. 50's Prime Time doesn't offer one. I made my reservation for 6pm and planned to wait in line for Fantasmic after. But if it takes awhile to get seated at Prime Time, I'm not sure if I will be able to get into Fantasmic. I'm thinking I should make the reservation earlier.

You are right....I saw the time and associated with the package. I think I'd try for 5:30 just to be safe.

Too many Princess character meals.

Also, you might want to try a earlier time for Prime Time if you want to make it to Fantasmic!

Also, we don't care for 1900 Park Fare or Crystal Palace. Loved Akershus lunch (although the princesses are creepy). Sci-Fi is great for lunch!

KatMark ~ I switched my Prime Time reservation to 5:35. There is also a 5:20 available if you think I should go with that.

BriarRosie ~ Yes, I have read that the food is not all that at the castle. We are paying for the locale. My DD really wants to be able to go inside the castle. I picked dinner so that at least we sort of get our money's worth, having to use 2 TS credits. It looks like we have very similar tastes in food! Thanks for the Sci-fi tip. We don't plan on eating too much there. Just going for the atmosphere. We want to save room for the Hoop-de-doo, which I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed! You are making me really wish I had booked Kona for dinner! We have a breakfast reservation! And Sanaa sounds sooooooo good! Oh well, I guess we just have to save them for our next trip, whenever that may be. "Vicki & Al's Diner"!!! :lmao: I love it!!!

FlightlessDuck ~ Yes, I know we have a plethora of princess. I have my reasons. 1. My DD6 is a girlygirl, through and through, and she loves the princesses. 2. We are not sure when we will be getting back to the world and how much older she will be then, so we want her to experience it all now. 3. We chose the castle because, well, it's the CASTLE. 4. We chose Akershus because we were spending the day at Epcot anyway and my DH has to have breakfast, and that's the only TS breakfast there. Plus Mulan is there and my DD loves her. 5. The 1900 Park Fare meal may seem like overkill, but my DD really wants to meet Prince Charming, and I REALLY want to see the stepsisters in action! I am an actor myself (studied acting in college and dabbled in NY theater for awhile) and I really want to see them! I wish it was at a different restaurant, because I have not read much that is favorable about 1900 dinner. Oh well. At least these meals will save us time in MK that we do not have to wait on line for the princesses and instead can go visit the fairies!

Day One Arrival and MK
6:30 pm : Cinderella's Royal Table

Day Two AK and Boardwalk
8:05 am : Donald's Safari Breakfast at Tusker House - Very Fun. A must if you have a Donald Fan

Day 3 Epcot
8:05 am : Princess Storybook Breakfast at Akershus Royal Banquet Hall
1:30 pm : Les Chefs de France - Had a Great Meal Here
7:30 pm : Restaurant Marrakesh - Really liked this one as well
Just as a note...this is a ton of food for one day! I can't imagine eating that much. Plus, it is a lot of time of your day spent on food.
Day 4 Free Day
9:15 am : Whispering Canyon Cafe - Never had the breakfast.

9:15 am : Grand Floridian Cafe - Never had the breakfast, but have had several lunches and dinners. Generally a good meal.

12:30 pm : Sci-Fi Dine In Theater - Okay for lunch. Not great.
7:15 Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue

8:35 am : Goofy's Beach Club Breakfast at Cape May Cafe - Fab breakfast
6:00 pm : 50's Prime Time Cafe - Fun atmosphere. Very good fried chicken...from someone who doesn't eat fried food.

Day 8 MK
8:10 am : The Crystal Palace - Wonderful breakfast.
5:45 pm : California Grill - Have never been disappointed.

8:00 am : Kona Cafe - Yum
2:00 pm : Biergarten Restaurant - A good buffet. Atmosphere and entertainment is way better than the food. However, are you really going to be ready for a huge buffet after having breakfast 3.5 hours earlier?

My Comments in Red. We love to have a good meal, but this just seems to be a ton of food and a lot of vacation time spend eating.

Have fun.

My Comments in Red. We love to have a good meal, but this just seems to be a ton of food and a lot of vacation time spend eating.

Have fun.

Yes, I worry about that, but I have seen dining itineraries much more filled than mine. I tried to make most of my breakfasts early and as many of our meals as possible be "an experience", something unique, whether it be a character meal, or themed dining or signature. We really do appreciate a good meal, and the regular dining plan just did not cut it for us. I chose a lot of meals at deluxe resorts as well because DH and I would really like to visit them (our last trip in 2007 we were only able to visit GF) The epcot day is the only one with three full meals. It's an evening emh day, so I want us to pace ourselves well, and I figured a leisurely lunch would help. I think you may have misread my final day. Breakfast at Kona is at 8am and lunch at Biergarten is at 2pm. We have an 8pm flight, so I wanted to get a good meal in before we leave the world.

Thank you for your input! I am very happy to see that you enjoyed the food at a lot of my choices!

:scared1: No dinner at 'Ohana's??? :scared1:

The steak skewers are hands down the BEST red meat that I have EVER eaten! Marinated and cooked to perfection and can easily be cut with a fork. Oh, and the banana foster bread pudding is eye rolling good and I HATE banana's!! Oh and the dressing on the salad :love:!! And the chicken wings, oh my!

This will be our 12th trip to WDW and we eat there 2 times each trip but this year we are eating dinner at 'Ohana's 3 times :rolleyes1!

Your daughter would have so much fun doing the coconut races and hula lessons!

Ok, I've calmed down a little.

:scared1: No dinner at 'Ohana's??? :scared1:

The steak skewers are hands down the BEST red meat that I have EVER eaten! Marinated and cooked to perfection and can easily be cut with a fork. Oh, and the banana foster bread pudding is eye rolling good and I HATE banana's!! Oh and the dressing on the salad :love:!! And the chicken wings, oh my!

This will be our 12th trip to WDW and we eat there 2 times each trip but this year we are eating dinner at 'Ohana's 3 times :rolleyes1!

Your daughter would have so much fun doing the coconut races and hula lessons!

Ok, I've calmed down a little.

Oh Bummer! :sad1: The more I read about it, the more wonderful it seems. But what to cancel? Especially without losing even more park time? I don't want to lose the signatures (I know, selfish mommy and daddy, but it is our vacation too. :confused3 )

We are going to the world for a short trip in August (4 nights) for my daughter's 5th Birthday. The whole reason we are going is because she is Obsessed with the princesses right now and every time she sees a WDW commercial, she asks to go for her birthday. My vision for her actual birthday is day at the
Magic Kingdom and either breakfast or Dinner at the castle. We are doing the dining plan and plan to pay for this one out of pocket so we don't waste two credits on one meal. Reading your thread gave me some good ideas. We have not made our ressies yet. What is the Cinderella's Happily Ever Dinner at 1900 Park Fare? Is this at the MK? Which is better for my daughter's special birthday meal? Help! We would really like to do a Fantasmic Show this trip. Missed it last time and would like the dinner with reserved seats. Where do they do this and what do you suggest for our family, 10 year old DD and 5 year old DD? What is Ohana's and where is it? Sounds good. Same for the Hoop-De Doo Revue, what and where? We are doing the regular dining plan for our 4 days there. What should our 4 sit down TS meals be? Tell me your Favorite 4......What about CS? Any must visit CS out there? Thanks!

We are going to the world for a short trip in August (4 nights) for my daughter's 5th Birthday. The whole reason we are going is because she is Obsessed with the princesses right now and every time she sees a WDW commercial, she asks to go for her birthday. My vision for her actual birthday is day at the
Magic Kingdom and either breakfast or Dinner at the castle. We are doing the dining plan and plan to pay for this one out of pocket so we don't waste two credits on one meal. Reading your thread gave me some good ideas. We have not made our ressies yet. What is the Cinderella's Happily Ever Dinner at 1900 Park Fare? Is this at the MK? Which is better for my daughter's special birthday meal? Help! We would really like to do a Fantasmic Show this trip. Missed it last time and would like the dinner with reserved seats. Where do they do this and what do you suggest for our family, 10 year old DD and 5 year old DD? What is Ohana's and where is it? Sounds good. Same for the Hoop-De Doo Revue, what and where? We are doing the regular dining plan for our 4 days there. What should our 4 sit down TS meals be? Tell me your Favorite 4......What about CS? Any must visit CS out there? Thanks!

1. What is the Cinderella's Happily Ever Dinner at 1900 Park Fare?

It's a buffet dinner at one of the restaurants at the Grand Floridian Resort and Spa, on the monorail loop from the MK. It features Cinderella, Prince Charming, the Stepmother and the two stepsisters. For several reasons, this may not be the best meal for you to reserve. It does not feature all of the princesses, and it is not in one of the parks. Also, I heard it is not one of the better dinners. Since you are only doing 4 nights, I think your time and money would be much better spent elsewhere.

2. Which is better for my daughter's special birthday meal?

For the reasons stated above and because breakfast or dinner at the castle would be much more memorable, I would stick with your original plan. Last time we were there we did breakfast at the castle and I thought the princess interaction was great, although the photo op with Cinderella was a little bit rushed. If you can score 8am reservations, that will get you into the park before it opens, optimizing your time there. OR, if you do dinner there, you can do a birthday cake and the waitstaff is much more likely to make a big fuss over her over at the castle than at the buffet dinner at 1900. There is also the Princess Character Meal over at Epcot in the Norway Pavilion. Princess Storybook Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner. There you can get a professional photo with Belle in her yellow gown. (At the castle she wears her blue dress) Right now there is another thread on the Disney Restaurants page comparing both of these meals.

3. We would really like to do a Fantasmic Show this trip. Missed it last time and would like the dinner with reserved seats. Where do they do this and what do you suggest for our family, 10 year old DD and 5 year old DD?

I've never done the package, but I know it is offered with reservations to either Hollywood & Vine (buffet, which I have heard horror stories about), Mama Melrose (pizza/Italian place with mixed reviews) and The Brown Derby (supposedly a very good restaurant, but charges 2 TS credits) Of the three I guess I would choose Mama Melrose. Keep in mind that to do the Fantasmic package they usually make you do your dinner reservation super early, like 4 pm. It might be worth it for you though, since it is a short trip. My favorite restaurant at the DHS is the 50's Prime Time Cafe, but unfortunately it is not offered with the Fantasmic package.

4. What is Ohana's and where is it? Sounds good.

It is a restaurant at the Polynesian Resort, on the monorail loop from the MK. It's on the dining plan, and I have heard wonderful things about it and how much fun it is for kids.

5. Same for the Hoop-De Doo Revue, what and where?

The HDDR is a Country Western Vaudeville style dinner show at the Ft. Wilderness Campground, a boat ride away from the MK. It is all you can eat ribs and chicken and beans (good comfort food) as well as beer and wine included. It's on the dining plan, but it is 2 TS credits. Never been to it yet, but my Aunt and her family rave about it, and go to it on every trip.

6. What should our 4 sit down TS meals be? Tell me your Favorite 4......?

I'm afraid I have not been to enough of the restaurants to really make an informed decision. On our last trip we ate mostly in the theme parks, and our favorites geared toward the kids was 50's Prime Time Cafe dinner (DHS), The Crystal Palace breakfast (Winnie the Pooh characters, MK), Princess Storybook Breakfast at Akershus Banquet Hall (Epcot Norway Pavilion) and Donald's Safari Breakfast at Tusker House (AK).

7. What about CS? Any must visit CS out there?

My suggestion to you would be to check out the menus at allearsnet.com, as well as the ratings and reviews people have given. We really liked the counter service at the Morocco Pavilion at Epcot, as well as the one in the France Pavilion. The Tusker House counter service at AK was really good as well. Did not like Casey's at MK or ABC at DHS at all!

Good luck with your choices!

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions! You gave a lot of great info. We will definately do CRT for my daughters birthday meal. I am leaning towards dinner. I would like to do a cake for her birthday. Everything else is still up in the air but you helped narrow it down. Thanks a lot!

from what i heard from a cm cape may cafe has some of the best character interactions for a character meal.

We have several of the same reservations planned for our trip, so I really hope that you do a trip report on the food!

Day One Arrival and MK
6:30 pm : Cinderella's Royal Table The castle is a must do for us every trip! Love being at the castle and the food IMO is the best I've had at Disney!

Day Two AK and Boardwalk
8:05 am : Donald's Safari Breakfast at Tusker HouseTring this for the first time our next trip:)

Day 3 Epcot
8:05 am : Princess Storybook Breakfast at Akershus Royal Banquet HallDid lunch. Good character interaction, but didn't like lunch/heard bf is better. ;)
1:30 pm : Les Chefs de FranceTring this for the first time on our upcoming trip;)

Day 4 Free Day
9:15 am : Whispering Canyon Cafe
7:15 pm : Jiko Good had it in 2005 when I stayed AKL

5:45 pm : Cinderella's Happily Ever After Dinner at 1900 Park FarePretty good food/great character interaction

12:30 pm : Sci-Fi Dine In TheaterLove it! Going again in September!
7:15 Hoop-Dee-Doo RevueFun! DD7 loved it. Food is pretty good too.

8:35 am : Goofy's Beach Club Breakfast at Cape May Cafe
6:00 pm : 50's Prime Time CafeOne of my favorites. Love the pot roast!

Day 8 MK
8:10 am : The Crystal PalaceGood! Returning in September

8:00 am : Kona CafeI thought it was pretty good, but I expected it to be better from the responses I've heard on here:confused3
2:00 pm : Biergarten Restaurant

Hope you have a great trip!

Day One Arrival and MK
11:00 am : Counter service breakfast (either at Pop or MK) Maybe you can get a CM ressie and then just hop on monorail over to MK...start your day with the mouse! ;)
6:30 pm : Cinderella's Royal Table I know what you mean- you really go here more for the atmosphere than for the food (although I know some people that love the food here). I need to make our CRT ressie more for the fact that DD wants to meet the princesses- and then we won't need to stand in line later to see them at the parks, right? LOL!

Day Two AK and Boardwalk
8:05 am : Donald's Safari Breakfast at Tusker House Great choice and great time slot

Day 3 Epcot
8:05 am : Princess Storybook Breakfast at Akershus Royal Banquet Hall Do you really want another princess meal? So many other awesome choices at Epcot...
1:30 pm : Les Chefs de France

Day 4 Free Day
9:15 am : Whispering Canyon Cafe Never been for breakfast- I thought dinner was so-so. My DH liked the skillet, but I had the pasta. Ummm, definitely not a good pasta place! Bottomless milkshakes were a hit with my kids, but since you are having breakfast I don't think that would be good for you ;) WL is a beautiful resort, though...

12:30 pm : Sci-Fi Dine In Theater
7:15 Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue Loved HDD!!! Keep in mind the transportation time between Sci-Fi and FW...
Day 7 Epcot and Hollywood Studios- don't see anytime for you to be in Epcot..
8:35 am : Goofy's Beach Club Breakfast at Cape May Cafe- if you get a Hollywood and Vine breakfast you will be in the park and ready to hit TSMM after breakfast. Plus there are characters for HV breakfast- although DD may be a bit too old for the Playhouse Disney Character ;)
6:00 pm : 50's Prime Time Cafe
9:00 pm : Fantasmic! (Should I make the Prime Time reservation earlier?) I would try for earlier time if it were me...try for around 4:30 so you can have the F!DP and since your breakfast ADR is so early in the day. You'll be starving by 6pm...
Day 8 MK
8:10 am : The Crystal Palace

8:00 am : Kona Cafe Ohana's will have Lilo and Stitch...just saying...:hippie:
2:00 pm : Biergarten Restaurant be sure the band isn't schedule for a break around this time...they are make Biergarten fun IMO

I left my 2 cents worth in red... but it looks like you have a very yummy list...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter