Credit card fraud question

gmar1210

Mouseketeer
So around Christmas someone got a hold of my credit card info and ordered a very expensive laptop ($2500). I immediately disputed the charges and they were reversed in about a week. Today I noticed a refund from the company where the computer was purchased in the same amount so now I have a negative balance of $2500. Is this normal?

If you never actualy paid for the computer, you can’t take the refund, seems to me the perpetrator brought back the computer hoping to get a cash refund but that didn’t happen. The credit card company will handle it.
That is what I thought about receiving cash as a refund but this was an online purchase so there is no way they paid cash.

i would call the credit card company NOW-their 24/7 customer service. whenever one of mine has been defrauded they put a freeze on it. if i dispute a purchase say on a return i made but the merchant didn't credit back or an overcharge they will leave it operable (b/c i was involved in the purchase so it's known not to be fraud or identity theft), but not me making the purchase-freeze, freeze, freeze.

i would be afraid the fraudster is hoping to use that credit sitting there for another purchase or a cash advance. also could be scoping out a mailbox looking for a refund check (if they've hacked the card and changed the contact info. they could be receiving emails or even put in a temporary new mailing address).

i would be afraid the fraudster is hoping to use that credit sitting there for another purchase or a cash advance. also could be scoping out a mailbox looking for a refund check (if they've hacked the card and changed the contact info. they could be receiving emails or even put in a temporary new mailing address).
I've had several fraudulent charges, and once I reported it they've always cancelled the card and a sent a new one.

And some were doozies. One was a series of point-of-sale gas pump charges from West Virginia to Pennsylvania. One time someone charged some sort of hobby supplies. But I figure every time a credit card is handed out or used there's a chance of someone copying the information or using a skimmer. The newer card readers are far more secure.

i would call the credit card company NOW-their 24/7 customer service. whenever one of mine has been defrauded they put a freeze on it. if i dispute a purchase say on a return i made but the merchant didn't credit back or an overcharge they will leave it operable (b/c i was involved in the purchase so it's known not to be fraud or identity theft), but not me making the purchase-freeze, freeze, freeze.

We were issued new cards so I don’t think they can get a cash advance or anything like that. Also my mail is locked in a box so they cannot access it. I am guessing there was some miscommunication at the pc company and they accidentally refunded the pc since they were notified it was a fraud purchase. It’s very weird

Definitely call, but don't just talk to the rep who answers the phone - specifically ask for the fraud department.

I would not notify anyone posthaste, er, forthwith, er, immediately about the extra credit from the merchant. You do not want additional second guessing by the merchant and by the credit card company, crossing in the mails, etc. to result in both credits being withdrawn leaving you 2500 dollars in the hole.

Just don't spend that $2500. Do not consider that second $2500. as counting towards your next minimum payment or your next month's balance. Instead make regular payments ignoring the existence of that "extra" $2500. in your account. If you (and I hope you) pay off your full balance every month, pay off all of the purchsses etc. showing on the bill so as to leave a final balacne of a credit $2500.

Wait for the next statement to arrive. If this shows a balance (not necessarily a credit balance depending on how much more stuff you bought on your creidt card) that the extra $2500. credit is still there, then write a dispute letter pointing out the fraud reimbursement plus the merchant reimbursement and that y ou were only supoosed to get one of them. Still, make payments ignorming the existence of the extra credit.

Also by waiting awhile you have time to decide what to say in your letter. Do not be hasty writing the letter just to get the letter out more quickly. You do not want to forget to say sometg yu want ed to say or say something you did not want to say. onhi

Yes you need to notify the credit card company quickly about a stolen card or about unauthorized use as quickly as possible, but you already did that an, as you said, d the credit card company already responded to that by closing your account and issuing new cards.

Last edited:
I would not notify anyone posthaste, er, forthwith, er, immediately about the extra credit from the merchant. You do not want additional second guessing by the merchant and by the credit card company, crossing in the mails, etc. to result in both credits being withdrawn leaving you 2500 dollars in the hole.

Just don't spend that $2500. Do not consider that second $2500. as counting towards your next minimum payment or your next month's balance. Instead make regular payments ignoring the existence of that "extra" $2500. in your account. If you (and I hope you) pay off your full balance every month, pay off all of the purchsses etc. showing on the bill so as to leave a final balacne of a credit $2500.

Wait for the next statement to arrive. If this shows a balance (not necessarily a credit balance depending on how much more stuff you bought on your creidt card) that the extra $2500. credit is still there, then write a dispute letter pointing out the fraud reimbursement plus the merchant reimbursement and that y ou were only supoosed to get one of them. Still, make payments ignorming the existence of the extra credit.

Also by waiting awhile you have time to decide what to say in your letter. Do not be hasty writing the letter just to get the letter out more quickly. You do not want to forget to say sometg yu want ed to say or say something you did not want to say. onhi
Does anyone actually get paper statements anymore, when you can log into your credit card app and get almost everything you need on the app?

OP, call your credit card company immediately and request the fraud department. They deal with this all the time and will handle it.

That is what I thought about receiving cash as a refund but this was an online purchase so there is no way they paid cash.
That happened to me too. My theory is that the credit card company reached out to the computer company & told them it was fraudulent & they refunded it. In my case, the person likely never got the item b/c I noticed the charge before they could have had time to ship them item. But, the card company worked it out themselves.

I have alerts set up on my credit cards that any time a charge is made, I'm notified via text. That way, I know every charge that is made on the card and whether I authorized it.

The initial $2500 credit the CC company gave you was an interim credit pending resolution of the dispute. When they close the dispute they will see that the charge was refunded and will reverse the $2500 credit. You don’t need to call anyone but as others have said, don’t treat it as a windfall to spend.

The initial $2500 credit the CC company gave you was an interim credit pending resolution of the dispute. When they close the dispute they will see that the charge was refunded and will reverse the $2500 credit. You don’t need to call anyone but as others have said, don’t treat it as a windfall to spend.
The dispute was settled/closed at end of December and charges were reversed which brought my balance back to zero. This card is only used for gas/Costco. Everything was fine until yesterday I noticed the $2500 refund from the actual pc company. I have had fraud happen before (someone purchased several thousand $$ from revzilla who sells motorcycle parts). Charges were reversed but never received a credit from where the fraud took place.

The dispute was settled/closed at end of December and charges were reversed which brought my balance back to zero. This card is only used for gas/Costco. Everything was fine until yesterday I noticed the $2500 refund from the actual pc company. I have had fraud happen before (someone purchased several thousand $$ from revzilla who sells motorcycle parts). Charges were reversed but never received a credit from where the fraud took place.
What did the fraud department say when you called them?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter