Credit card fraud after use at Disney World resort restaurants

DVC Kathy

DIS Veteran
We just received a phone call from our credit card company. Someone managed to change our address, and tried to use the card for a substantial purchase.

I used the card during a recent trip to Disney World due to a rewards promotion.

May 3rd was for breakfast at Fresh and dinner at 1900 Park Fare.

May 4th was brunch at Olivia's.

May 5th was breakfast at Boma.

Just wanted to share in case this wasn't an isolated incident.

Kathy

I usually need to get a new credit card number after every Disney vacation. Fortunately I only use my Disney visa at Disney World so it’s not a huge hassle.

We just received a phone call from our credit card company. Someone managed to change our address, and tried to use the card for a substantial purchase.
Yikes! If Disney was the only placed you used the card that's very concerning. I really hesitate to ever hand my card off to any employee anymore. I appreciate the restaurants that let me pay at the host station or bring the device to me. I personally detest the table ones you find at places like Red Robin an Outback. A couple of our cards allow two step verification when we login, and set up notices for charges. Since most scammers will try a very small charge like $1 I set mine to notify my of all purchases. With that I was able to help the police and our bank get on a scammer right away, they were dumb enough to use it within minutes for an online transaction and I hadn't used that card in a couple months so we knew what was up. The employee was arrested the next day :)

Thank u for sharing. More of a reason to pay with gift cards on upcoming trip!
Yes but if you caught the other thread here a woman had her purse stolen along with all of her gift cards. Purse was found, but not gift cards. At least with your Credit Card you have protection.

Thanks for sharing. I get immediate notification when I charge or anything changes. I will see if the txt also.

I usually need to get a new credit card number after every Disney vacation.
That is sad but thanks for replying.

I really hesitate to ever hand my card off to any employee anymore. I appreciate the restaurants that let me pay at the host station or bring the device to me. I personally detest the table ones you find at places like Red Robin an Outback.

Shouldn’t the table ones make you happy, since you like not handing it off?

Shouldn’t the table ones make you happy, since you like not handing it off?
You would think that, but my first experience was at Red Robin (burger joint) aka Dead Robin to me. Instead of just being used to pay they seated me and we ordered our drinks then asked for an appetizer, i was told to use the gizmo. I told the waitress that you're standing right here can you just take the order, begrudgingly agreed. She pulled the same thing with Desert. What further annoys me is they leave the blasted thing on the table taking up a lot of space the whole time. I've been to other places that bring a tablet out, swipe your card on the spot and hand it right back to me, I'm totally good with that. But the others not so much.

I have experienced fraudulent activity on my credit cards after visiting the Orlando area every single time, so it's not just at Disney Resorts. Not only that, I will receive a barrage of robot calls soliciting me for timeshare presentation offers.

Happened to me 3 years ago at Fulton's crab house. I had not used my debit card the whole trip for anything...a full week. On our last day, had lunch at Fulton's, paid with debit as we'd already checked out. Got the tragical express to airport, by the time I got home that night, someone had attempted 2 different purchases at a target near Chicago (I live in NJ) for $1,250 each. Couldn't be anywhere but Fulton's. The first charge went through, the second was denied. I will never use my cards at Disney stores/restaurants again. I charge everything to my room, even if that means I have to pay off each night with gift cards.

Plus, if you have an Enhanced Drivers License don't forget to put your EDL in an RFID sleeve too.

I’m at the point where I NEVER use a credit card in a restaurant unless I can pay at a counter; it’s always cash otherwise. Had to get new cards too many times. I never give my credit card to anyone if they have to take it to another location to run it.

Well? Just us.... a good 30 WDW trips, 8 days a trip. And we have NEVER had any CC fraud at WDW.
Now having said that? We check our CC DAILY - and use GREAT providers with really solid Websites :).

We HAVE had to change out CC's... but never because of WDW :). I think this has just become a fact of life :(. And yes - every card we carry is in an RFID sleeve :).

Interested to hear all your experiences. I’ve never had a card number stolen st Disney but have had bad experiences from online purchases. I’ve lost cards at Disney restaurant, called after I got home and they wouldn’t return it but tore it up. I trusted them and never had a problem. I just had the card replaced. I’ve also dropped a card at a restaurant in Taos and didht realize it until we got back to Santa Fe. I called and spoke to manager. He returned it fed ex to my home outside Chicago so it was there when I got home. I tried to pay for fed ex and he wouldn’t hear of it. We’ve been to Europe several times and never had a number stolen. Guess we’ve been lucky.

Unfortunately you don't even need to use your credit card to have the info stolen. Buy RFID sleeves for your cards.

When my debit card was compromised, the person I spoke with at Fifth Third said that often your card is never compromised - the hackers just run numbers until they find one that works. She told me not to stress out at all about trying to figure out where the compromise happened.

Recently, I had to give my CC# over the phone( gasp, I know) to make and set up reoccurring medical bill payments and a down payment for my dog's kennel stay. I then went on a long flight across the country. I used my CC 4 times there, Grocery store, State Monument park, ATM bank, store. On the 6th day I saw a +$1200 charge on my card. I called, fortunately it did not go thru and I had my card#stopped. They were trying to buy Stub Hub Playoff basketball tickets. I get my new card once I'm home and guess what, I call to set up mail order prescriptions and I had to give my CC# over the phone. It is inevitable FRAUD will occur to anyone anytime. BTW, this was my 4th fraudulent attempt. I've had many CC#'s changed. :(

I keep my cards in RFID except when I'm making a purchase.

I would not be surprised if there are groups who watch and RFID skim cards at places like restaurants, especially in Orlando. Orlando is a hot bed for cc fraud. WDW helped break up a cc scammer ring at Pop not too long ago, where they had like thousands of blank cards and they'd skim, then print basically on demand.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter