Credit Card Category for DVC Purchases?

For what it's worth, in 2015 I bought my points direct from DVC on a Visa Card. They coded as Travel - Lodging.

Your mileage may vary because this was a couple of years ago.

As long as you plan to pay it off immediately, I'd probably open up a few new credit cards to get the huge sign up bonuses. When I bought blt direct I opened up two southwest credit cards that gave me 50,000 points each after I spent $2k. I split my payment to each card and netted 100,000 points plus another 20,000 from the purchase. It also gave me enough points to qualify for the companion pass. I'd look to whatever airline you like to fly or something like a chase sapphire that pots can be used multiple ways.

This advice comes with the disclaimer that everyone needs to understand their credit score and financial situation before opening up tens of thousands in new credit. But if done properly, a dvc purchase can equate to 10% back or more in cc rewards.

As long as you plan to pay it off immediately, I'd probably open up a few new credit cards to get the huge sign up bonuses. When I bought blt direct I opened up two southwest credit cards that gave me 50,000 points each after I spent $2k. I split my payment to each card and netted 100,000 points plus another 20,000 from the purchase. It also gave me enough points to qualify for the companion pass. I'd look to whatever airline you like to fly or something like a chase sapphire that pots can be used multiple ways.

This advice comes with the disclaimer that everyone needs to understand their credit score and financial situation before opening up tens of thousands in new credit. But if done properly, a dvc purchase can equate to 10% back or more in cc rewards.

Okay, you've peaked my curiosity. What bank were your SWA cards issued through that permitted duplicate cards under the same person? I just recently applied for the Business JetBlue card and Barclay's response was akin to "You already have the maximum credit line we allow on your other cards." (Mind you those accounts are empty. I just wanted more bonus points and I think they called my bluff.)

Okay, you've peaked my curiosity. What bank were your SWA cards issued through that permitted duplicate cards under the same person? I just recently applied for the Business JetBlue card and Barclay's response was akin to "You already have the maximum credit line we allow on your other cards." (Mind you those accounts are empty. I just wanted more bonus points and I think they called my bluff.)
Chase issues all the SW cards. It's been a while but I believe I got one biz card and one personal. Chase, and several other banks, have tightened up their approval standards to try and slow the revolving door of people who "churn" cards the the points. Chase will auto decline you if you've been approved for 5+ cards across all banks in the past 24 months (with a few exceptions). Amex will only give a sign up bonus once now over the lifetime of the cardholder. For example, if you sign up for the Amex Platinum card got the bonus, you can't cancel the card and get the sign up bonus in 5 years.

All banks are pretty strick on issuing multiple cards the same day. So it pays to Google the specific bank one might be considering to see the proper plan of attack on opening multiple cards.

For what it's worth, in 2015 I bought my points direct from DVC on a Visa Card. They coded as Travel - Lodging.

Your mileage may vary because this was a couple of years ago.

I just paid off my loan with my Citi Costco card and it was not coded as travel.

There are entire messages boards devoted to this hobby- I suggest flyertalk and reading the stickied posts

r/churning on reddit is a good source of information as well

Barclay is one of the strictest (I can't even get Barclays cards in Iowa)- amex is the least strict in my experience- chase is easy as long as you've opened fewer than 5 new credit cards in the last two years and they have the best cards anyway

It's a great way to travel for cheap and it doesn't hurt your credit as long as you are responsible

Thanks so much for all of your input. The result-12% interest Disney loan paid off with credit cards! I recommended that my daughter get a new SW card, I put enough of the Disney loan payment on her card so that she earned 60,000 points (FYI, we used my SW rewards in January- my husband, daughter, her boyfriend, and I flew roundtrip from BWI to MCO for a grand total of @ 29,000 points!). I put the bulk of the loan on my new 0% for 21 months Citicard (ordered the card specifically for Disney loan payoff purposes). Paid off the small remainder of the loan with my Disney VISA. All card transactions were listed as "purchases", not as transfers-so no transfer fees. I had to really study this crazy transaction, none of this would've made sense if I burdened myself with a ton of credit card debt. After all of the card wrangling, my family ended up with @7-8 free SW round trip flights to Disney, Disney VISA rewards, and zero interest for nearly two years, on top of becoming DVC members. Truly magical! Full disclosure, we bought a small, affordable number of points, we paid off the SW and Disney cards with savings, and will nearly pay off the Citicard balance in 21 months (with some extremely frugal living!), the remainder will be paid with a new, low interest home equity line.
This was a little complicated, but it worked out well for us. I would've paid with the cards at the time of purchase, but I was unaware of that option. Live and learn. And now I'll say what everyone says-I really wish we would have become members a long time ago!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter