Crazy question about pools

Lisa D

Mouseketeer
We have our first ever cruise (Wonder) this coming October - however, my friend and her family leave on their first cruise in about three weeks. She told me a friend of hers from work told her that the swimming pools on cruise ships are filled with salt (ocean) water as opposed to fresh, chlorinated water (such as at the Disney resorts). As neither of us had cruised before we are both setting out to find the answer - I'm sure all you experienced DIS Cruisers can help me be the first with the answer !

9/89 Carribean Beach Resort
5/94 OKW
11/98 BWV
11/99 BWV
4/01 BWV & Vero Beach
10/02 BWV

upcoming:
10/03 BWV and Disney Wonder

Lisa D

I could be wrong but I thought I read somewhere that Disney is one of the few cruise ships with water that is not salt water in their pools . I'm sure others can confirm or deny this . You should get a few more replies.

Most cruise lines fill their pools with salt water but DCL does not - they are freshwater pools.

I believe the pool water in DCL starts as salt water but is desalinated (sp) before they fill the pools.

MJ

HAS antbody Done this, for the real little ones
my, friend took his family on RCL they also brought along a little blow up pool for the infant child to swim in since was not allowed in the other pool could still swim and splash and not worry about the potty thing in the pool

peter

How crowded are the pools? Is it 'I can't find my kid' crowded? Will I be able to find a chair by the pools to watch my kids or will I have to actually go in the pool with them?

Originally posted by Hygiene99
my friend took his family on RCL they also brought along a little blow up pool for the infant child to swim in since was not allowed in the other pool could still swim and splash and not worry about the potty thing in the pool
Ummm, where did they set it up and where did they dump the water?
I don't know where there would be enough deck space near a drain and water source. Maybe spray bottles and toys like that would work. My son had a 'fireman' toy when he was a toddler that went on his back like a backpack and had a pump water hose that came over his shoulder. He could spray his older sister pretty darn good with that. It even had spray or stream settings. I wonder if toys like that would be allowed as long as the only target allowed was the wet area and his own family members.
The 'secret verandah' is often empty, maybe your family could take the little one there for a good ol' water fight.

was not huge was only 2x3 a small pool would take up less room than a chair and for the dumping of the water i dont know
but im sure floor around pool areas have drains and it was probably only a couple of gallons of water
peter

Originally posted by Hygiene99
was not huge was only 2x3 a small pool would take up less room than a chair
That sounds great. As long as it was dumped in a drain, I can't see why there would be any objection to that. Great idea.

Caroline, it can get pretty busy. You'll definatelly be fast at recognising your kids' swimsuit colors. If they are big enough to hold their own, grab a chair and relax. If you worry about trampling, stay near the edge. Some parts of the day are slower than others too. One tip I read was to pack the kids' suits in your carry-on so they can change in the restroom and swim right when you board. The water is fresh and it won't be crowded, as the other kids are waiting for the luggage to be delivered. Just grab lunch and eat it at a table beside the pool. We tried it, but the pools were still being cleaned. Others have had success with this plan however, so it's worth a try. Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter