Crazy heartburn after going gluten-free, anyone else?

AliceandAriel

part of your world!
After trying to deny that I've been gluten sensitive for about two years now, I finally bit the bullet and have been doing the gluten-free transition for two weeks now. So far, I've been well with finding safe foods and probably eating a little better since I have to carefully think out what snacks to take to work versus just grabbing something on the go.

But three days ago, I started getting this killer heartburn and acid reflux, GERD-like symptoms. Burning in the chest like there's a fireball lodged in there, acid in the throat, bad taste in the mouth, the works. Tums 750mg chewables aren't doing anything, even in high doses. I took 6 total today and it's barely taken the edge off of the acid. Other than that, I'm fine, I just don't get why I'm having this heartburn so severe so suddenly!

I did start a food diary, and can recall back to what I ate the last few days, and I can say that it probably was a little higher on the carb end, which I read can cause heartburn, too. I just don't know if this is a wheat withdrawal symptom, or because I botched my eating habits a bit by going carb crazy. Anyone else who went GF experience something like this?

i had crazy heartburn before, in fact that was my main symptom which is what through off doctors. i am wondering if maybe your body has been over producing acids in an attempt to break down gluten and now have nothing tough to digest? i was on proton pump inhibitors for a while. they work better than tums but are not good for long term and after a while i had a hard time eating anything too fatty.

i was trying to stop hearburn for a long time, so i gave up soda for a few years, watered down oj, watched how much tomato sauce i had etc and it really does help if you follow those tips.

keep in mind you are only 2 weeks in, it will take your body a while to heal and adjust so hang in there. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!