Craptastic news and I need some help. I'm in a pickle!

I'm so sorry to hear about what you're going through! Cancer does indeed suck!

I'm doing a solo trip the 8th-12th and would LOVE to meet up with someone.

On the 9th I'm doing MK in AM and AK after hours in evening, looking like 10th will be HS, 11th Epcot, and the 12 doing HS early early before my flight.

I'm here. There's been lots of tears. Everyone has been amazing and I am grateful. I've no idea what I'm going to do for plans. Was too tired to go get my park tickets last night. I hope to meet up with some people, too. Thanks for the love.
One day at a time...

I am sorry to hear of your recent events. It does bring up a lot of issues I am sure. I have been going to WDW for several years alone, (nieces & nephews have outgrown Disney :sad: ) and prefer the beach so I have done at least 5 trips alone (also a 20 day stay with aunt who left after 10 - and a 15 day stay after a friend left after 7). one of the best things to do on your own is a backstage trip. people are very friendly on the tour and one trip (epcot world showcase tour- when it was new) and met couple. it was just the 3 of us and a tour guide. we had lunch at Marrakesh (not our choice -included in tour price). we had a blast and we have been facebook friends since (1994). I am going back in June and we have already made plans to meet up for a park day and a lunch day. Twice I went to the Harmony Barber shop for a haircut. Had fun talking to the people who were also waiting for their appointment. I take my IPAD with me, and for a break or lite lunch, I sit in a quiet place and ready a while from my book, or check wait lines and make new ressies while taking a break. Now, as a single traveler, I am sure to sign up for the Memory Maker plan so I have tons of pix to share when I get home. Hope you are able to make a guilt-free decision. GOOD LUCK

Our DVC points are going to be stuck in a holding account and we won't have an opportunity to use them.

What difficult decisions to make! Are you sure the DVC points will go into holding? Supervisors have been known to make special exceptions (i.e., my m-i-l diagnosed with cancer) and return points to the account or allow banking past the date. Best wishes to you and DH.

We got our news late Thursday from the oncologist that under no circumstances could my husband travel. We were still holding out for a miracle. It didn't happen. On Friday, I tried all day and night to call Disney about cancelling and getting points back since a hurricane policy took effect and they were making amazing exceptions from what I read, but kept getting 'all circuits are busy' or when I did get through, the call would disconnect. Since I had to leave the next day to travel 8 hours for my flight, I had no choice but to go alone. I'm here now. Looks like this week will be a bust as far as parks go. So much for 7 day hoppers. This just sucks all around. I went to bed at midnight last night and woke up for the day at 3:30 am. Ugh

I haven't had to face what you are facing, LuvvsMickey, but I can relate to not liking crowds or unknown situations (Uber) and I can relate to thinking I am fine then some unexpected trigger hits juuuuust right. I hope you are able to meet with some wonderful people and enjoy the resort and some park time. The parks are only expecting to close a bit early tomorrow and otherwise normal operations, so parks needn't be a bust. In fact, I prefer the parks in weather bad enough to keep some others away. Here's hoping you can get a good night's sleep and are refreshed to enjoy the parks at your own pace. pixiedust:

All I can add is that I use Instacart all the time at home and I've never had a problem with them. Best wishes to you and I hope this becomes an amusing story you and your husband can share for years to come

I haven't had to face what you are facing, LuvvsMickey, but I can relate to not liking crowds or unknown situations (Uber) and I can relate to thinking I am fine then some unexpected trigger hits juuuuust right. I hope you are able to meet with some wonderful people and enjoy the resort and some park time. The parks are only expecting to close a bit early tomorrow and otherwise normal operations, so parks needn't be a bust. In fact, I prefer the parks in weather bad enough to keep some others away. Here's hoping you can get a good night's sleep and are refreshed to enjoy the parks at your own pace. pixiedust:
I used instacart. Won't be doing that again. Half of my stuff was substituted when I asked them not to and the driver was rude. I wandered to MK for a few hours this morning and basically walked onto every ride. It was a ghost town. Then the rain started and I came back to my room and crashed for four hours and missed all my fast passes at Epcot. :rotfl2:So, I went for two hours this evening and basically walked on to everything I wanted. Craziness going on here! Animal Kingdom is open from 7-2 tomorrow and that's where my fast passes are. We'll see if I can get out of bed. The winds are picking up. The bamboo is creaking like crazy outside the longhouse.The calm before the storm. Wait and see is all we can do. Everyone has been wonderful here. You're right about the triggers. I have my birthday pin on and of course everyone wishes you a happy birthday and then asks how fantastic your day is... uhm, well...kinda hard to fake fabulous when the tears start to well up in your eyes. :sad2: It will be okay. Thank you for your message. :)

All I can add is that I use Instacart all the time at home and I've never had a problem with them. Best wishes to you and I hope this becomes an amusing story you and your husband can share for years to come
Instacart was not a good experience, but that's ok. I have food, just a lot of substitutions I did not agree to. No worries! Life goes on. Thank you for your well wishes. :flower:

I wish I was in Florida now, and I'd join you and invite you to my place for coffee. You are strong, but it's ok to lose it now and then. A big hug to you, and sending all of my good vibes for a good outcome for your husband.

I wish I was in Florida now, and I'd join you and invite you to my place for coffee. You are strong, but it's ok to lose it now and then. A big hug to you, and sending all of my good vibes for a good outcome for your husband.
:hug: And I would love that. Thank you. Every time I get a hug from a cast member, I lose it. So.many.tears! Everyone has simply been amazing here. I'll never forget their kindness. Blown away. It does take the edge off a bit. Blessed. :cloud9:

Last December - DVC refunded all my points back to their original pre-booked state - including borrowed points - no holding at all - when I had to cancel our trip due to my husband dislocating his shoulder. I just called them and explained and they took care of everything. This was just a week or so before our trip dates...

I am so very very sorry @LuvvsMickey.

I am going to concentrate on adding some suggestions, knowing you are there at the Polynesian already.

With all my notes please know I am not ignoring what a difficult time this is for you and your husband.

And you might know all of this already ----

*for such a trip you at least have picked the best resort. Easy access to other resorts - relaxing vegetation - great staff - time at Oasis pool even if you don't swim. And if the monorail goes out and the small boats are cramped don't forget the TTC/MK boat is practically at the DVC side of the Polynesian

*Twilight Feast can be ordered through room service. If you still have an appetite with you it is the 'Ohana meal right in your room. Any room service is exquisitely prepared at that resort. And this one will give you a ton of leftovers - for times you simply want to hang out in your room. Honestly every morning I would splurge on room service for breakfast. Relaxing and exquisitely prepared.

*If you would like wine/beer/cocktail room service at the Polynesian will deliver a drinks only order to your room

*the walk to the Grand Floridian is peaceful and beautiful. The second Poly beach closest to the GF is great for fireworks (unless you are already in a LV unit).

* And the QS outside seating area at the GF, when the storm passes, is so lovely.

*Get your hair done at the GF or WL. I have never done this and even if you aren't that kind of person might be nice for you to pass time. Do some spa time - nails etc. I am smiling as I type cause this part is so out of my wheelhouse but why not!?!?!

*Being alone any active/distracting type of meal might be best - ie. a show. I don't have children unfortunately, but I often book the step-sisters' dinner at 1900 Park Fare regardless - every couple of vacations. It is so entertaining to watch everyone. Their darling mother is the best! I love the hilarity of the intensely sarcastic. Might be a nice brain break for you. And so much goes right over the heads of the wee ones.

*There is a lovely terrace in the GF. South side. Second floor. Looking out to the pool and VGF. It was a smoking terrace but there is rarely anyone sitting there.

*The Boardwalk porch gives that same feeling

*When the weather breaks consider a MNSSHP ticket. A place just to blend in. If you have never been that parade is worth it. If you have been that parade seen over and over is still worth it!! And I have no love for parades. But that parade - love me a villian. EDIT: Whoops! I believe I read something blasphemous like not liking Halloween. My apologies.

*The Boardwalk gives a feel of not feeling alone or looking alone (not anything wrong with that it is just nice to blend in some days)

*Tour the DVC BW rooms if they are still there

*When the weather improves the SAB pool bar is accessible without staying there

Epcot - outdoor QS patio of the steps in Japan is gorgeous. Morocco's Spice Road table might be a nice spot alone

*If you have zero interest in something like HDDR alone be there outside when the performers go in. Years ago I saw the entrance by accident (after the diners have all gone in) and it truly was a mini-show. I also love me a drink and a Fort Wilderness rocking chair!

*Don't forget there are tours at WL and AKL. AKL - I believe there are some free culinary tours. And cultural tours as well

*WL so much to do and see.

*Tour the new Riviera models and give your husband a nice distraction for his day.

*many lounges at WDW.

*Don't forget bar dinner seating with no reservations a la 50s Prime Time - California Grill - Homecomin' etc

*outside terrace when the weather improves at Brown Derby

*check out the new areas at Coronado. So busy with single convention goers another great place to blend in

*movie theatre at Downtown Disney

*F & W is a plus for being solo

*I find both of the QS at Port Orleans relaxing - especially sitting outside. Lovely boat ride to DD. Eat at Port Orleans Riverside and walk the river and have dessert at French Quarter or vice versa.

*Oh! When the storm passes take every boat you can.

*park tickets - don't know if you have picked them up or started them yet. But last vacation I clearly saw when I arrived that I needed a different kind of vacation, ie. quieter time - resort time. GS worked with me. I stored my tickets and switched them into a future AP and did a MVMCP and After Hours instead. EDIT whoops part deux - just realized you've already started your passes.

*Try Southwest when you get home re: your husband's voucher. They are a great company

In general just greet each day there as it comes. Whatever the vacation there will be, it will be. I think the worse is trying to force things. You might see things at WDW alone that you might never taken in with your husband. Obviously the best is being there with him but just do whatever each day brings - even if that means simply hanging out at the resort.

I hope you are doing "okay". Love sent to you.

Lisa

Last edited:
:hug: And I would love that. Thank you. Every time I get a hug from a cast member, I lose it. So.many.tears! Everyone has simply been amazing here. I'll never forget their kindness. Blown away. It does take the edge off a bit. Blessed. :cloud9:

How are you today? Holding up with the shorter hours, and quieter times? We're here for you, even though it's "only" the internet. I want you to know that you are not alone, and we are thinking of you and praying for all to be ok for you.

I am so very very sorry @LuvvsMickey.

I am going to concentrate on adding some suggestions, knowing you are there at the Polynesian already.

With all my notes please know I am not ignoring what a difficult time this is for you and your husband.

And you might know all of this already ----

*for such a trip you at least have picked the best resort. Easy access to other resorts - relaxing vegetation - great staff - time at Oasis pool even if you don't swim. And if the monorail goes out and the small boats are cramped don't forget the TTC/MK boat is practically at the DVC side of the Polynesian

*Twilight Feast can be ordered through room service. If you still have an appetite with you it is the 'Ohana meal right in your room. Any room service is exquisitely prepared at that resort. And this one will give you a ton of leftovers - for times you simply want to hang out in your room. Honestly every morning I would splurge on room service for breakfast. Relaxing and exquisitely prepared.

*If you would like wine/beer/cocktail room service at the Polynesian will deliver a drinks only order to your room

*the walk to the Grand Floridian is peaceful and beautiful. The second Poly beach closest to the GF is great for fireworks (unless you are already in a LV unit).

* And the QS outside seating area at the GF, when the storm passes, is so lovely.

*Get your hair done at the GF or WL. I have never done this and even if you aren't that kind of person might be nice for you to pass time. Do some spa time - nails etc. I am smiling as I type cause this part is so out of my wheelhouse but why not!?!?!

*Being alone any active/distracting type of meal might be best - ie. a show. I don't have children unfortunately, but I often book the step-sisters' dinner at 1900 Park Fare regardless - every couple of vacations. It is so entertaining to watch everyone. Their darling mother is the best! I love the hilarity of the intensely sarcastic. Might be a nice brain break for you. And so much goes right over the heads of the wee ones.

*There is a lovely terrace in the GF. South side. Second floor. Looking out to the pool and VGF. It was a smoking terrace but there is rarely anyone sitting there.

*The Boardwalk porch gives that same feeling

*When the weather breaks consider a MNSSHP ticket. A place just to blend in. If you have never been that parade is worth it. If you have been that parade seen over and over is still worth it!! And I have no love for parades. But that parade - love me a villian. EDIT: Whoops! I believe I read something blasphemous like not liking Halloween. My apologies.

*The Boardwalk gives a feel of not feeling alone or looking alone (not anything wrong with that it is just nice to blend in some days)

*Tour the DVC BW rooms if they are still there

*When the weather improves the SAB pool bar is accessible without staying there

Epcot - outdoor QS patio of the steps in Japan is gorgeous. Morocco's Spice Road table might be a nice spot alone

*If you have zero interest in something like HDDR alone be there outside when the performers go in. Years ago I saw the entrance by accident (after the diners have all gone in) and it truly was a mini-show. I also love me a drink and a Fort Wilderness rocking chair!

*Don't forget there are tours at WL and AKL. AKL - I believe there are some free culinary tours. And cultural tours as well

*WL so much to do and see.

*Tour the new Riviera models and give your husband a nice distraction for his day.

*many lounges at WDW.

*Don't forget bar dinner seating with no reservations a la 50s Prime Time - California Grill - Homecomin' etc

*outside terrace when the weather improves at Brown Derby

*check out the new areas at Coronado. So busy with single convention goers another great place to blend in

*movie theatre at Downtown Disney

*F & W is a plus for being solo

*I find both of the QS at Port Orleans relaxing - especially sitting outside. Lovely boat ride to DD. Eat at Port Orleans Riverside and walk the river and have dessert at French Quarter or vice versa.

*Oh! When the storm passes take every boat you can.

*park tickets - don't know if you have picked them up or started them yet. But last vacation I clearly saw when I arrived that I needed a different kind of vacation, ie. quieter time - resort time. GS worked with me. I stored my tickets and switched them into a future AP and did a MVMCP and After Hours instead. EDIT whoops part deux - just realized you've already started your passes.

*Try Southwest when you get home re: your husband's voucher. They are a great company

In general just greet each day there as it comes. Whatever the vacation there will be, it will be. I think the worse is trying to force things. You might see things at WDW alone that you might never taken in with your husband. Obviously the best is being there with him but just do whatever each day brings - even if that means simply hanging out at the resort.

I hope you are doing "okay". Love sent to you.

Lisa
Wow! Thank you so much for taking the time to write all of that. We've done most of the things that you have listed. The only thing I would not do alone is a sit down meal, attend a dinner show/movie by myself, or go to the spa. (insane prices even with discount) I'm Canadian so add 37 cents to every dollar. :scared1:

I'm dealing with shinsplints right now so today is an in room day watching movies. My lord, they hurt. I haven't had them in years. I guess I was huffing it through the parks when I should have just took time to smell the roses. Don't know why I was in such a hurry to go nowhere. :confused3 Long legs, so habit, I guess. lol I got caught in so many downpours and ripped my poncho that when I rolled in yesterday afternoon, I said "screw it". The rest of the day was going to be a bad one. So, I watched movies for 8 hours and listened to very inconsiderate people in the studio beside me on their patio until midnight. Right now I'm listening to a couple scream at each other, slam doors and their kid screaming her lungs out on the other side while the other kid plays "drums" on the patio. Serenity now!!

I have called Southwest and they are refunding my husband's ticket. I'm extremely grateful about that.

Thank you for the love. I'm being well taken care of. The staff have been wonderful.

How are you today? Holding up with the shorter hours, and quieter times? We're here for you, even though it's "only" the internet. I want you to know that you are not alone, and we are thinking of you and praying for all to be ok for you.
I'm holding my own. Had a meltdown this morning when my safe wouldn't open and then housekeeping came in to do my day four cleaning and wished me a happy birthday... then came the waterworks. Bless her heart. She gave me a big hug.

I'm going to take it easy today as I have shinsplints than will not go away. I might go find some soaking salts at Basin and take a hot bath and have some of that wine that was gifted to me. Who knows. Might crawl in bed right now for the night. Tried to eat a flatbread and it went in the garbage after three bites. I should know better. When I'm wound up like a top, I don't eat, sleep or do anything that resembles human life form.

I appreciate the prayers. Hugs. :hug:

:cake:

:grouphug:

You take care of yourself.

Few sips of wine, close your eyes and just sit in a nice warm tub.
I'd say some sleep is probably what you need, but I know the top-spinner mind. No matter what you try to do, the mind will not shut down and let you relax. So, let it spin until it unwinds on its own. Chase those 'what-if's' until you corner them and they vanish.

I hear you on the prices. I live on this side of the border, and they're bad enough without the exchange rate.
If you don't feel like braving a big dining room, I'd suggest a lounge, or, as @lisaviolet mentioned, room service - never had it, but I hear the Twilight Feast is very good - basically your own private 'ohana. Quick service at the Floridian is quite good, and there is (or was) a bench at the end of the path that leads to the edge of the lagoon. Pretty private, nicely quiet and a decent view (if the weather improves). 🌴

) I'm Canadian so add 37 cents to every dollar. :scared1:

Me too. I just added three one time use points to a reservation, which was no big deal. Opened my VISA and sighed - even small amounts balloon with that exchange.
So much fun, isn't it?!?! :laughing::sad2:

I have never been to any of the spas or salons in all these years. Nor would I do any dinner show alone. Listing possibilities for solo time was my selfish way to not feel completely useless to what you are going through and facing.

So, I watched movies for 8 hours

Good for you. :hug:

I have called Southwest and they are refunding my husband's ticket. I'm extremely grateful about that.

Wonderful to hear.

They are such a great company. Every six months to a year I phone them simply to thank them for their policies and service.

---------------------

Been thinking of you. :grouphug:

. Quick service at the Floridian is quite good, and there is (or was) a bench at the end of the path that leads to the edge of the lagoon. Pretty private, nicely quiet and a decent view (if the weather improves). 🌴

So true. The outside section of the Gasparilla is very peaceful.

I have never forgiven them for taking the shrimp stir fry off their menu though! :laughing:;)

--------------

LuvvsMickey :grouphug:

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter