Cranberry Sauce

Julie's Haircut

DIS Veteran
This is the ONLY acceptable cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving dinner. Jellied with lines or ridges. Ocean Spray is fine, but I prefer store brand.

Cranberry-Sauce-Facts-Trivia-i146781418-600x319.jpeg

No canned whole berry, and certainly no fancy homemade crap.

About 20 years ago my cousin's fiancee brought a bowl of homemade cranberry sauce to Thanksgiving dinner. Some were aghast, and a few even asked where is the good canned stuff. Most were polite enough to take a small bit, but the bulk of it went uneaten. I'm surprised my cousin didn't call off the engagement after this serious breech of etiquette.

The fiancee realized that we were all uncultured swine and never made the same mistake again.

I like both canned and homemade cranberry sauce, chunky or smooth. What I don't like is what tends to be called "cranberry relish." It has all sorts of chopped up stuff in it and often is combined with oranges. Yuck!

I do make cranberry/apple sauce sometimes in the winter (not for traditional Thanksgiving) and call it what it is. I love that, but please do not put celery, nuts, oranges, etc. in something and call it cranberry sauce!

Last edited:

Blech. Homemade all the way. It's honestly the easiest recipe ever. I have no clue why it has a reputation for being "fancy," lol.
It’s so easy, cranberries, sugar, oj, cranberry juice, cook about 20 minutes. My extended family was all converted the first year I made it (but my homemade sweet potato purée was met with distaste and sweet potatoes made with frozen sweet potatoes covered in mini marshmallows was back).

I make a really tasty homemade cranberry sauce - cranberries w/ sugar & orange marmalade & a little bit of orange juice.

However, I have the canned stuff on the table for people too. And I slide it out of the can, so it comes out w/ the ridges & lay it like that on a serving dish.

I don't know what it is about the jellied out of the can w/ the ridges, but, whatever... it's on my Thanksgiving table right beside my homemade cranberry sauce.

I make my own, but find some whole berry canned stuff acceptable.

I don't eat the stuff personally but the canned, lines and ridges variety seems to be a hit with my family. I see it every year but only see it at Thanksgiving.

I never liked cranberry sauce growing up, but once I learned how easy it is to make at home (and how much better it is), I began to love it.

I like both. My sister makes one with cranberries and frozen sweet cherries—came up with it accidentally when she had a bad bag of cranberries. It is really good. My dad prefers the can. My late FIL did too.

I like both. My sister makes one with cranberries and frozen sweet cherries—came up with it accidentally when she had a bad bag of cranberries. It is really good. My dad prefers the can. My late FIL did too.
That’s what I forgot, I also add dried cherries! My sister likes to put it on vanilla ice cream.

This is the ONLY acceptable cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving dinner. Jellied with lines or ridges. Ocean Spray is fine, but I prefer store brand.

Cranberry-Sauce-Facts-Trivia-i146781418-600x319.jpeg

No canned whole berry, and certainly no fancy homemade crap.

About 20 years ago my cousin's fiancee brought a bowl of homemade cranberry sauce to Thanksgiving dinner. Some were aghast, and a few even asked where is the good canned stuff. Most were polite enough to take a small bit, but the bulk of it went uneaten. I'm surprised my cousin didn't call off the engagement after this serious breech of etiquette.

The fiancee realized that we were all uncultured swine and never made the same mistake again.

All that work for a nice dinner and you buy CANNED? Go to your room. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter