CPCP machines

NancyinCt

Earning My Ears
Hi,

We will be traveling to Disney World on the 14th of this mo. There has been some discussion about the TSA and CPAP machines, has anyone been thru Orlando International lately that had a problem with the machine not being accepted thru x-ray? We are traveling from Bradley in CT, if anyone has had any experience going thru Bradley with their CPAP machine and been refused acceptance to take it aboard.

Really am worried that I'll get to the airport and find they will not let me take it on board either in CT or Fla. I have read that some people have problems and some don't if anyone has been thru these to airports lately w/i the last mo. I would really appreciate how it worked out for you. The information I get from the web site doesn't mention CPAP as a medicial device. I beg to differ, my Dr. says it's important that I use it.

Thanks in advance

I would be interested as well. We will have two family members that will be traveling with CPAPs. It was five years ago the last time they flew with them. They did not have any trouble then.

Do you have information on what types of problems people have had?
There have been people on this board who have not had any problems with getting CPAP machines thru. They would be respiratory-related equipment and would fall under this page of the TSA information (even though most of the page has to do with oxygen):
http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1568.xml

This site may also be helpful:
http://www.sleepapnea.org/news/travel.html
It has some fact sheets you can print out.

Just for good measure, a letter from the doctor, identifying that you require the CPAP machine wouldn't hurt. Also, an instruction booklet or something that identifies/explains what it is - with pictures.
If you have any problems, ask to speak to a supervisor and also there is an 800 phone number for air travel problems in one of the sticky threads near the top of this board.

DH takes his with all the time and we've had no problem, but we are not from your area. I know when he first got the machine, he checked with the different airlines each time we flew with them and they had no issue with it. He usually carries it onboard since he cannot sleep without it and doesn't want to chance it being lost or delayed.

Maybe check with your airline ahead of time? We've not been giving any trouble by the TSA people.

Sorry-meant to say we haven't flown to/from Bradley but had no problems at MCO!

I went through OIA in September and October with my CPAP with no problem whatsoever.

I fly all over the world - I got home about 90 minutes ago - and have never had a problem with my CPAP.

What I've actually found the most useful is a print out of the relevant TSA regs regarding the device/med/etc. This was recommended to me after a supervisor intervened when an over-zealous screener refused to let my Mom's wheelchair tools through screening. (The tools are clearly allowed via regs.) The supervisor gave me a printed copy of the relevant regs which I have used on one other occasion. Very helpful to have and saves a lot of hassle on the rare occasions you need it!

CPAP machines are not an issue with most airlines it is Oxygen tanks that they are giving people a hard time about. I am not sure if they are still really strict about it but last year they were making people rent oxygen tanks to take on as cary on for safety reasons. CPAP's are just possitive air preasure which is less of a safety risk but oxygen can store dangerous gasses that is why the airlines were making a big deal. Just call ahead of time. They have laxed up on a lot of things lately so it may not even me a issue anymore. Good lucky!!!
JenJen!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter