Cozumel - what to see and do

We just did the Eagle Ray excursion this past June. We had an awesome time.

We linked a ressie with our tablemates. We were the only ones on the boat. They do NOT take you to the same place that the 3 large catamarans go. We went earlier that our ressie was for and we left right away.

They are great, depending on when your cruise is, Chellie-from the states, will greet you and get you set with masks and fins.

We did the 2 reef snorkel. They are very helpful with beginners. They will tell you that you do not need life vests, with your young kids, you will probably want them to have them.

When you get to the 1st stop, the guide goes in the water with you (at all times), you are in a current that will allow you to just float. It was cool because we really didn't need to kick-swim. Our family had snorkeled quite a few times and we felt very comfortable without vests. The guide takes a life ring in the water for anyone who needs to rest.

We did get to do a bonus reef since they didn't have any one else scheduled. Don't forget to tip them. I tipped the guide and the boat captain-Captain Zorro each $10 for the 3 of us. I probably over tipped, but we had a great time.

Just remember, this is a small family type business. Do not be surprised at the condition of the small fishing boats. They are pretty old, although I did hear they had 1 new one.

If you have any ?, ask away!

Another vote for Eagle Ray - fantastic experience. We did the 3-reef snorkel and there were just 12 of us on the boat - all from the Magic. After the end of each reef trip you are allowed to climb onto the roof of the boat and jump into the water.

I think the kids had more fun doing that than the snorkeling.

It is really cool to do the "drift" snorkel - no heavy swimming needed like at Castaway Cay.

For the person who asked about Chankanaab, I've heard that the only parts that are back open are the dolphin swim and the snorkeling. The park was heavily damaged during Hurricane Wilma. Be sure to make note of the date when you read reviews about it - before and after the hurricane.

For those of you who haven't already visited www.cruisecritic.com , it has a wealth of info about shore excursions.

We were in cozumel on the 3/24 Western and loved it. We went to Chankanaab, and they have opened a lot of it back up. Its new and clean and we had a blast. we did the dolphin swim, but before hand we snorkeled, had lunch and swam in the new pool. highly recommended.

We did the Royal Swim at Dolphion Discovery (not available through Disney). This included being pulled by the dolphins on their dorsal fins, and a foot push where two dolphins come up behind you and push your feet fast enough where you are actually able to stand up. They had good pictures and a DVD available ($$$).
We then went to the beach at Chankanaab, which was pretty empty. I had read that snorkeling was not too good since the hurricane, but the water was incredibly clear. I thought snorkeling was awesome, although we did not see a ton of sea life.
To get to Chankanaab (where DD is located), it is about a 10 minute taxi ride ($10). Since we booked direct with Dolphin Discovery, admission to the park was included, although grandma and grandpa had to pay $16 each to get into the park.
We then went back to town and shopped a bit, buying some tequila, vanilla, and jewelry.
We all really enjoyed Cozumel!:thumbsup2

I thought they were both good. More fish the day we were in Grand Cayman, but definitely clearer water in Cozumel.

Hi colorado mom (I'm in lakewood). I also thought the sea life was more abundant in grand Cayman, but the day we were there was pretty windy, so there were some currents to fight. Chankanaab was calmer and very, very clear. Enough fish to make it good snorkeling, but no giant sting rays swimming along! I'm with skibum, if you can afford the royal dolphin swim, do it. It is the coolest thing ever!

Doing the royal Dolphin swim at the state park I have heard great reviews.

DS7, DD5, DH and I just want to be on the beach and play but DH also wants to snorkel. Looks like Grand Cayman will be the best place for us to be on the same beach and let him also add on the snorkeling. So, where's the best place to just be beach bums in Cozumel? Take a taxi & say "beach please!"? I would rather take a Disney excursion due to the logistics of it all - has anyone done the Fury Catamaran Sail, Snorkel & Beach Party? Kids and I don't really want to snorkel - so could we all do this and us 3 just opt out of the snorkel part of it? What about the Cozumel Beach Break (getting these from the Passporter's field guide).
Thanks for all & any help!
This is going to be our first cruise & we're super excited! We're going December 1-8, 2007 - western caribbean.

One word - Xcaret!

The Xcaret Eco-Archaelogical Park has everything. I love it so much, we've actually gone back on non-Disney vacations, and intend to return many times :)

It has everything - beautiful plants, trails, animal exhibits, caves, underground rivers, Mexican cemetery, beaches, swimming with Dolphins, Sea Trek with turtles, aquariums, friendly people, great food & drinks, shopping, everything I could want. It is my favourite excursion on any cruise I've ever been on.

One word - Xcaret!

The Xcaret Eco-Archaelogical Park has everything. I love it so much, we've actually gone back on non-Disney vacations, and intend to return many times :)

It has everything - beautiful plants, trails, animal exhibits, caves, underground rivers, Mexican cemetery, beaches, swimming with Dolphins, Sea Trek with turtles, aquariums, friendly people, great food & drinks, shopping, everything I could want. It is my favourite excursion on any cruise I've ever been on.

Did you do this through DCL? I am curious about how it works if you go through Disney, but want to swim with the Dolphins or do one of the tours offered there.

After reading your post I googled Xcaret and it looks wonderful! We are having a hard time finding an excursion for young children that interests us (and them) that isn't just going to the beach. I know that our girls would love the aquarium, and seeing the jaguars as well as the beach. Xcaret also seems to have a neat Dolphin swim for young kids accompanied by adults that we would all love.

Any more info that you could provide would be much appreciated!

Yep - I booked through DCL - I think it was around $89/person. I've done it with RCL too. I haven't done the dolphin swim there (it cost extra) but it looks like fun.

It books just like the usual DCL excursions - we met up in WaveBands, and then caught a ferry right from Cozumel's dock (didn't even get on dry land). It's around a 20-30 minute boat ride, then a short walk (with the guide, all in a group) through Playa del Carmen (which is beautiful, and a neat little town) to board a nice air-conditioned bus (or van depending on the amount of people on the excursion) and a 10-15 minute ride to Xcaret. Once there we had I think 5 hours or so all by ourselves, and we had a meeting point at the end of the day where we boarded the bus again, back to Playa del Carmen, back on the ferry, and back on the Disney boat (a lot of people went shopping in Cozumel after that, too). Great excursion! The only complaint I have is that I could probably spend a couple of days there, seeing & doing everything, so 5-6 hours isn't enough for me ;)

Disney gives you each a coupon for a free simple lunch (probably sandwiches or burgers or something, not sure) at the Xcaret quick service restaurants, but we always opt to go pay the $$ and go to Xcaret's La Peninsula sit-down restaurant out by the ocean. Xcaret has a lot of food choices, so either way you won't go hungry! Disney also gives a coupon for a free ice cream there - I chose a coconut popsicle/fruit bar that was DELICIOUS.

You can do the excursion yourself, but I suggest booking through the cruiseline because that way they WILL hold the boat for you if you are late. Since you have to rely on both a bus and a separate ferry on the way back, there is a chance that transportation may take longer than anticipated and just on the off chance you were late coming back, if it was booked through Disney they will hold the boat (because they know you are on your way) and if you did it yourself they wouldn't know to do so!

I called DCL and asked if they had any feedback on the Mexican Cuisine Workshop... the guy I spoke with said that he didn't have alot of info, but he mentioned that it's at Playa Mia Grand Beach Park. You can google Playa Mia Grand Beach Park and get a little more info.

Ginny :cutie:

DH and I are traveling on our first cruise ever (save for a 10-passenger cruise in southeast Alaska -- big difference) this Feb. 9. Xcaret looks to me like the place for us.

Question -- how hard is it to book? I've seen posts that say get up at 3Am the day your window comes open. Is that the case with this, or just the beach excursions??

Thanks!!:cool1:

I've booked it two weeks in advance once, and the other time I actually booked it when we boarded the ship, without any difficulties. You might as well book it as early as you can though, just to be sure!

I'm waiting for the 2009 dates to be released, so I'm in the very early planning stages. Xcaret sounds great! Can anyone tell me if this is a good choice with kids? My boys will be 7 and 10 at the time that we travel.

Also, is it quicker to get there if we do the excursion on our own? DH's family is from Mexico and he is fluent in spanish, so it wouldn't be a problem to travel on our own, if it will get us there quicker.
Thanks!:)

Does anyone know what is around the port in Cozumel? We are not sure about what excursions, if any, we want to do here as they are kind of pricy and we have a group of 10 going. Anyway, what can you do if you stay close to the dock and don't leave the wonder out of sight?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter