Cozumel excursion- Amazong Race

Minnie368

DIS Veteran
Maybe this should be part of a trip report? But I wanted to post it here because I know this is where people often go to look for excursion ideas. We had a blast doing the Amazing Cozumel Race excursion! We are big fans if the show and our family did this together- me, DH, DS19, and DD17. We booked on our own through their website. If anyone is interested or has any questions about it just ask :-)

I'd appreciate a mini report. Big fan of TAR here as well (I'm definitely Team Team Fun this season, although Colin and Christie are doing well with zero broken oxen thus far), and I've always been curious about what these local versions are like.

Also huge TAR fans (love/hate the teams is half the fun). We are going on the 9-night Caribbean June 2020. Maybe they will have the TAR excursion available at other ports by then. Not sure who you compete against...other couples/families on the excursion? If you do, we will have to work up an attitude, scope out who we U-Turn and prepare with what I consider the basics to compete: learn to drive a stick shift (on left or right); eat anything; no fear of heights; be able to swim; be able to dance; be able to carry 50+lbs for two miles; learn to drive/ride a bike/motorcycle; speak at least five languages; expand your memory; and have the knack to pick the perfect cab driver. Easy peasy!!

Later tonight when I’m taking it easy I’ll post a detailed review. Spending the day today unpacking lol. I’ll make sure not to include any spoilers for those who are interested in doing it o_O

We booked this excursion through their website after reading lots of TripAdvisor reviews. They had excellent communication and answered all of my questions timely. We paid online and received an email with day of instructions. They told us to take a taxi from the port to the Mercado Municipal which is where the starting line was. This was no problem and I think it was $10-12. Not exactly sure. They said someone would be there by 9:45 but we were about 25 minutes early. I’ll be honest, we were a little nervous when we got there. This market was definitely not in a tourist area and there were a lot of locals shopping there. However, if you’re an Amazing Race fan you know that is usually the setting they race in. So around 9:30 two people from the race got there and they were easy to identify because they wore name tags and shirts that had their logo on them. They were super friendly and very energetic and we instantly felt at ease. They gave us an info packet to review and we waited for the other teams to get there. There were three teams in total which is fewer than usual but actually I think it was perfect. Too many teams would’ve made it clustered and there would have been a lot of just following the other teams I think. They gave us the option to break up into two teams of two but we decided to stay together. I will say there is a slight advantage if you have more people on your team but I don’t think it made a huge difference. We got our first clue and took off. I don’t want to give away any of the clues or locations for obvious reasons but I will say some were fairly easy and some more thoughtful and time consuming. You have to keep in mind that this is designed for most anyone to be able to participate in so there’s nothing crazy like bungee jumping or anything extremely physically demanding. But you do have to think, find things, and solve puzzles. About halfway through the race there is a stop where the teams come together to do a snorkeling excursion. They explain this on their website. When you check in at that stop they record your time so you don’t lose your lead over other teams. After that part you finish the race and they add the two times together and that’s how they determine the winner, so there’s a chance that the team that reaches the finish line first may not be the winners. After the finish you go to a local restaurant where they give you a couple tickets to exchange for drinks and they give you chips and salsa on the house. They were very good! We actually ordered some tacos and quesadillas and they also were very very good. After that they have the award ceremony and give medals. Our team won. Yay! It really was so much fun. I will say it was hot so be prepared for that. They will give you water, soda, beer, on the boat at the halfway point but other than that bring some water yourself. The locals were funny. Some helped and some you could tell we’re trying to confuse you a little. We felt safe the entire time. The staff were awesome. They said they used to have a great clue in the museum but it is undergoing renovations now, but they will add the museum back in when it’s done. Overall I thought it was very well done and we're so glad we did it!

We booked this excursion through their website after reading lots of TripAdvisor reviews. They had excellent communication and answered all of my questions timely. We paid online and received an email with day of instructions. They told us to take a taxi from the port to the Mercado Municipal which is where the starting line was. This was no problem and I think it was $10-12. Not exactly sure. They said someone would be there by 9:45 but we were about 25 minutes early. I’ll be honest, we were a little nervous when we got there. This market was definitely not in a tourist area and there were a lot of locals shopping there. However, if you’re an Amazing Race fan you know that is usually the setting they race in. So around 9:30 two people from the race got there and they were easy to identify because they wore name tags and shirts that had their logo on them. They were super friendly and very energetic and we instantly felt at ease. They gave us an info packet to review and we waited for the other teams to get there. There were three teams in total which is fewer than usual but actually I think it was perfect. Too many teams would’ve made it clustered and there would have been a lot of just following the other teams I think. They gave us the option to break up into two teams of two but we decided to stay together. I will say there is a slight advantage if you have more people on your team but I don’t think it made a huge difference. We got our first clue and took off. I don’t want to give away any of the clues or locations for obvious reasons but I will say some were fairly easy and some more thoughtful and time consuming. You have to keep in mind that this is designed for most anyone to be able to participate in so there’s nothing crazy like bungee jumping or anything extremely physically demanding. But you do have to think, find things, and solve puzzles. About halfway through the race there is a stop where the teams come together to do a snorkeling excursion. They explain this on their website. When you check in at that stop they record your time so you don’t lose your lead over other teams. After that part you finish the race and they add the two times together and that’s how they determine the winner, so there’s a chance that the team that reaches the finish line first may not be the winners. After the finish you go to a local restaurant where they give you a couple tickets to exchange for drinks and they give you chips and salsa on the house. They were very good! We actually ordered some tacos and quesadillas and they also were very very good. After that they have the award ceremony and give medals. Our team won. Yay! It really was so much fun. I will say it was hot so be prepared for that. They will give you water, soda, beer, on the boat at the halfway point but other than that bring some water yourself. The locals were funny. Some helped and some you could tell we’re trying to confuse you a little. We felt safe the entire time. The staff were awesome. They said they used to have a great clue in the museum but it is undergoing renovations now, but they will add the museum back in when it’s done. Overall I thought it was very well done and we're so glad we did it!

Thanks much for the review, it sounds great. Do you know if they have TAR adventures at other ports? We will be in Martinique next year, our daughter teaches French (an advantage there) and all seven of us love the show. I'll check the web site, too. Again, thanks for the heads up on this unique excursion.

Thanks much for the review, it sounds great. Do you know if they have TAR adventures at other ports? We will be in Martinique next year, our daughter teaches French (an advantage there) and all seven of us love the show. I'll check the web site, too. Again, thanks for the heads up on this unique excursion.
I’m really not sure if the same company does them in other ports. I know I read reviews of one on Jamaica that weren’t that great and was much more expensive. For that I would definitely go to TripAdvisor. The link to the one we went through is https://amazingcozumelrace.com/

We walked everywhere. We even walked back to the ship from the restaurant where the finish line was after the celebration. In hindsight we could’ve walked to the starting line in the morning if we had realized where it was. In total we walked a little over 4 miles from the starting line of the race to the finish line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter