Covid, Shmovid, We're Going CAMPING Tomorrow!

Minutes ago the Governor of Alabama announced retail stores and state beaches will be opened, still with social distancing, after the stay at home order expires this week on Thursday at 5pm. So the folks at Gulf SP then can hit the sand.

Restaurants still curbside/takeout only and hair/nail solons still closed. This arrangement will last until May 15 when it will be updated/reviewed.

But the beaches will be opened. :cool2: Go get the takeout at The Shrimp Basket in Gulf Shores and enjoy camping at Gulf State Park.

Bama Ed

Also,

I'm gonna to toss out this tidbit and mention that while at #16 cruising the 'net that I made the first purchase online for decorations that will be used in October at the Fort DISMeet.

Just a little something but it's a start. :rolleyes1

Bama Ed

Last edited:

I am beyond jealous. They called and cancelled our reservation because they cannot adequately monitor social distancing. It was a small park run by a water district. Looked but all the state parks are day use only. 😥😥😥

I am beyond jealous. They called and cancelled our reservation because they cannot adequately monitor social distancing. It was a small park run by a water district. Looked but all the state parks are day use only. 😥😥😥

What state?

What state?
Texas. I really wanted to get out of my house for awhile. We may try to go fishing for the day. We have 5 parks with lakes within an hour and a half of here. I think we have to reserve a day to go, so I'll have to figure all that out. It is just we have all of our children living here now (18, 23, 25) either working from home or doing grad school or college from home. They are great, but I wanted some time for just me and my husband alone. And I wanted out of this house. Other than going to the grocery store when I flew back from the mission trip, I have been with my husband to take recycling twice. That is it in 7 weeks. I told my husband I get to do the weekly grocery store trip next week.

Texas. I really wanted to get out of my house for awhile. We may try to go fishing for the day. We have 5 parks with lakes within an hour and a half of here. I think we have to reserve a day to go, so I'll have to figure all that out. It is just we have all of our children living here now (18, 23, 25) either working from home or doing grad school or college from home. They are great, but I wanted some time for just me and my husband alone. And I wanted out of this house. Other than going to the grocery store when I flew back from the mission trip, I have been with my husband to take recycling twice. That is it in 7 weeks. I told my husband I get to do the weekly grocery store trip next week.

Texas here too- the US Corp parks open on the 16th, we already booked Potter's Creek Park at Canyon Lake. I am itching to get to the State Parks though! Dumb day use only/ only 5 people/ plus wearing a mask outside.

@bama_ed I really like that puzzle board you have can you refer me to the one you are using?

See page 3 post #52. @cruising spud asked about it too and I answered in that post.

It may be a little harder to find right now. Puzzles are popular in these pandemic times. IIRC I paid around $50 for it.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Nebraska parks opening to camping May 20, 25' between spaces, self contained units only, no walk ups, reservations only, no shower houses and restrooms open. No tent camping. Been reading our local RV board on facebook, man you would thing the world was done. See some that "we will just camp in South Dakota, Kansas and Iowa! Okay... so I asked that since the directive is you travel out of state, you need to self quarantine for 14 days when you return, are you going to do that? one response I had was, "I'm sure the virus is not going to magically travel across the river from Nebraska to South Dakota" jeez, people can be so dumb!

Nebraska parks opening to camping May 20, 25' between spaces, self contained units only, no walk ups, reservations only, no shower houses and restrooms open. No tent camping. Been reading our local RV board on facebook, man you would thing the world was done. See some that "we will just camp in South Dakota, Kansas and Iowa! Okay... so I asked that since the directive is you travel out of state, you need to self quarantine for 14 days when you return, are you going to do that? one response I had was, "I'm sure the virus is not going to magically travel across the river from Nebraska to South Dakota" jeez, people can be so dumb!
So for the derail ed, but they tried that day use thing here with no batrooms and such. People were leaving deposits in the park. They then opened the bathrooms..make of it what you will.

So for the derail ed, but they tried that day use thing here with no batrooms and such. People were leaving deposits in the park. They then opened the bathrooms..make of it what you will.

You Jersey folks don't mess around, do ya? :sad2: (well I mean not in the bushes and all....)

We're much more civilized and genteel (meaning more indirect) down here in the South.

For example, if a pretty southern girl ever bats her eyes and says, "bless your heart".....

..... she's about to A-bomb you (with a sweet smile) with whatever phrase follows. So be on guard. :umbrella:

Bama Ed

PS - back on the rails. 🚂 Campers want to camp. Duh.

Last edited:
GSP appears pretty popular right now based on the reservations site.....

Can't get any weekend sites before summer camps start. and the week between Memorial day and the start of June has a handful of sites available.

Just back from a two night stay at https://www.riverfallsatthegorge.com/. Great campground. (yes the fronts a little high in that shot :) )

IMG_1131.jpeg

GSP appears pretty popular right now based on the reservations site.....

Can't get any weekend sites before summer camps start. and the week between Memorial day and the start of June has a handful of sites available.

Gulf SP is popular. We have traditional times of the year we go so I book those about a year out. Sorry Pluto.

I would also recommend Meaher State Park in Mobile along I10 and Hwy 98 out in the middle of the Causeway. Closer to the Eastern Shore Side (Baldwin County). USS Alabama nearby, good restaurants along the Causeway. It's small but has some shady sites along the back road parallel to the water and on the road closer parallel to water less/no shade but nice views of the bay. I enjoyed sitting out there at night and watching the vehicles/lights out on I10.

Meaher is closer to you anyway, Pluto. Give it a consideration. From there you can get to either Dauphin Island beach or Gulf Shores beach in an hour or less.

Bama Ed

Gulf SP is popular. We have traditional times of the year we go so I book those about a year out. Sorry Pluto.

I would also recommend Meaher State Park in Mobile along I10 and Hwy 98 out in the middle of the Causeway. Closer to the Eastern Shore Side (Baldwin County). USS Alabama nearby, good restaurants along the Causeway. It's small but has some shady sites along the back road parallel to the water and on the road closer parallel to water less/no shade but nice views of the bay. I enjoyed sitting out there at night and watching the vehicles/lights out on I10.

Meaher is closer to you anyway, Pluto. Give it a consideration. From there you can get to either Dauphin Island beach or Gulf Shores beach in an hour or less.

Bama Ed

I've looked longingly at Meaher when passing it avoiding the bridge/tunnel traffic. It looks very scenic, but I wasn't sure how much there would be to do with small kids for 3 days. (also, they don't seem to have online reservations, which is just annoying)

I'm looking at Buccaneer and Percy Quin in MS and Bogue Chitto in LA for now. Those will save even more time driving. obviously the beach at Buccaneer is not exactly on the same level as Gulf Shores.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter