Counter Service Meals

dobball23

DIS Veteran
What exactly do you get with a counter service meal? I am researching the dining plan and people say it is A LOT of food, but I feel like just one sit-down meal and a counter service meal (along with a snack) doesn't sound like much food for a day, especially when you are moving around and walking around all day.

I thought the same thing before our trip last December. I actually lost weight on the trip and certainly did not deny myself anything. A couple mornings we ate our dessert from the night before for breakfast. I also got one of the large breakfast platers at the food court and we shared it maybe getting an extra muffin or piece of fruit (three ways). Most of the meals are large and I did plan our meals each day around the times so only 2 meals would be neccessary. Remember you also get a snack each day and we got the mugs at the food court and got our morning coffee each day and soda any time we wanted it. We also got water or juice(Ithink) with each meal and filled up our cups at the food court each time we went there so we always had a extra drink in the fridge. Enjoy your trip!!!!!!

dobball23 said:
What exactly do you get with a counter service meal? I am researching the dining plan and people say it is A LOT of food, but I feel like just one sit-down meal and a counter service meal (along with a snack) doesn't sound like much food for a day, especially when you are moving around and walking around all day.

Not only is it a lot of food, but it is so much food that you will be full to the point of discomfort most of the day.

I'll give you an example of what you can purchase for ONE CS CREDIT.

Cosmic Rays - MK
One-Half Rotisserie Chicken
One-Half Rack of Ribs
One corn on the cob
One serving mashed potatoes
Soft Drink
Dessert

It fed 3 of us! We could have eaten a little more, but it was plenty to feed three. If we split it two ways instead of three, we would have left feeling sick.

By splitting that meal three ways we had "saved" two credits which could be applied to extra meals throughout the course of the stay.

We had the DDP for three nights, but we were in the parks for four days. The plan fed us for all four days and we were scrambling at the end to use of the last few credits (we used them for CS breakfasts)

The CS meal includes the main offering a drink and a desert.
So for example, at the Columbia Harbour House you could get the soup and sandwich combo and then the desert and drink also. At Peco Bill's you could get the double cheeseburger meal which included french fries and cake, I think, for desert. They have a great "fixins bar" for the burgers and they were big.
I am not used to eating that much food all day long.

There are CS meals in which you get a lot of food, perfect for sharing. Your cosmic rays meal is an an excellent example.

I'll agree with the OP, most of the standard CS meals are only big enough to share if you eat all of the "bad stuff", french fries or rice. When I don't split I'll throw out at least half of the french fries.

The difference is the dessert. Most of the time I'll skip a dessert in favor of getting dessert later in the day but when I'm using MYW dining I tend to order a dessert, it's included. The problem is sharing, one person eats the chicken fingers and the other eats the fries and dessert. Both are full but it's really not a healthy way to eat. The vast majority of CS meals don't offer enough of the entree for sharing.

formernyer said:
Not only is it a lot of food, but it is so much food that you will be full to the point of discomfort most of the day.

I'll give you an example of what you can purchase for ONE CS CREDIT.

Cosmic Rays - MK
One-Half Rotisserie Chicken
One-Half Rack of Ribs
One corn on the cob
One serving mashed potatoes
Soft Drink
Dessert

It fed 3 of us! We could have eaten a little more, but it was plenty to feed three. If we split it two ways instead of three, we would have left feeling sick.

By splitting that meal three ways we had "saved" two credits which could be applied to extra meals throughout the course of the stay.

We had the DDP for three nights, but we were in the parks for four days. The plan fed us for all four days and we were scrambling at the end to use of the last few credits (we used them for CS breakfasts)

Hate to sound like a big "cheapie"....but.. 2 adults, we are going in Sept. and was hoping to be able to share a few meals (mainly counter service) so that we could use one for breakfast & one for lunch...

Saw the post about Cosmic Rays chicken deal... When I looked up the menu on allears.net I didn't realize that was on the plan.. I saw the chicken meals that were small.. either chicken or ribs..

Anyplace else comes to mind?

How big are the pizza's??? Anyone ever get those? ;)

justplaingoofy said:
Hate to sound like a big "cheapie"....but.. 2 adults, we are going in Sept. and was hoping to be able to share a few meals (mainly counter service) so that we could use one for breakfast & one for lunch...

Saw the post about Cosmic Rays chicken deal... When I looked up the menu on allears.net I didn't realize that was on the plan.. I saw the chicken meals that were small.. either chicken or ribs..

Anyplace else comes to mind?

How big are the pizza's??? Anyone ever get those? ;)

Most of the pizza CS meals are adequate for sharing unless you are looking to leave feeling stuffed. You'll normally get a combo with one individual one-topping pizza and a salad. The pizzas are cut into 4 slices, but in reality the combined food amount would be more like 2-3 slices from a "real" pizza. The salad is a single serving size. You could split it, but you'd only be getting about 10 forkfulls each. You'd also get a dessert and drinks. The desserts vary greatly by place, but most of the pizza places have the worst desserts...usually just a large cookie or a Mickey Crispy treat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter