Could use a little Help RE: Easter dinner

kaylajr

Ultimate WPASADI Co-Winner
Okay as some of you know I really am not much of a cook :blush:

Well since the great family inlaw split here ( that is a whole different story :rolleyes: )
one SIL and I have split the Holidays dinners for her family and mine
I had Christmas but DH was here and did most of that

So I have Easter dinner to make and have no clue
what to make

so here is my question

What is on your Easter dinner menu?????
just looking for some ideas

TIA

We always have ham. We always have deviled eggs. And, we always have Mandarin Orange Cake and Ho Ho Cake. The other sides and desserts vary. This year I plan to make potatoes au gratin, a broccoli and cauliflower casserole, green beans, spinach/strawberry/walnut salad, cranberry/raspberry Jell-O, a big relish tray, a cheesecake, and lemon meringue pie.

Can't wait to see what others having! I'm always looking for new ideas.

Pat

254 days and counting . . . again!

I was thinking Ham but DH said maybe corned beef?? :confused3 :confused3 :confused3

I KNOW i will have some kind of potato

Well, we're not having a big family dinner this year (my Mom isn't up to it - just dessert) but in the past we've had:

ham (can't imagine corned beef actually & ham is really easy!!)

potatoes: candied yams, sweet potato casserole mashed, scalloped potatoes or baked white & sweet potatoes (serve the sweet with cinnamon sugar - yum!)

2 types of veggies: green bean casserole, corn pudding (like a custard-type thing, but not sweet - easy), broccoli salad (with raisins/craisins, mayo etc), carrots cooked with ginger, endive with bacon dressing, other "plain" veggies

rolls, relish tray (carrots, celery, radishes, etc), spiced apples (those red rings, you know?), Jello salad (usually the green one with cream cheese & pineapple)

dessert varies from pie (favorite of the person bringing it) to cheesecake to ???

:cool1: we host Easter at our house, since we go to church in the am, my step dad cooks the ham..... :smooth: we have greenbean casserole, mashed potato, au gratin potato, 7 layer salad, relish tray, deveiled eggs, rolls, usually dd12 and I will make dessert, a cake of some sort, bunny shape, basket shape. sometimes we order a birthday cake for my mom her birthday is the day after Easter this year. :banana: hope this helps.

There's another thread on here about what everyone is having/bringing for Easter Dinner that should give you some different ideas.
In our family we ALWAYS have ham....never varies. Then someone will bring hashbrown casserole, (or some form of potato), usually brocalli casserole, green beans or green bean casserole, fried corn, a relish tray, several different salads and if I can I'll bring fried sweet potatoes. Desserts are all over the board w/WAY more than we need!! :)
Karen

We always have the same thing. Ham, rice, corn or peas, biscuits, pickles, olives, applesauce. I think that covers it. lol

This year we're having....reservations! For a wonderful brunch near us.

But in the past, ham and lasagna (for the vegetarians), salad, potatoes (mashed or scalloped), squash casserole, and assorted other veggies. I am not much of a cook, but you can't go wrong with a ham. It is so easy. If you have a Costco near you and belong, their spiral ham is the best.

My family must be in the minority here, but we have turkey and the works.
Lucky for me my MIL doesn't like ham either, so she fixes a turkey feast.
We have a brunch (bacon, eggs, muffins, fruit...) after our Easter Egg Hunt, then have a big turkey dinner in the afternoon. Ham is traditional, but we are not traditionalists ;) So, I say make what you and your family want and enjoy. Corned beef sounds good to me.

Quite a few Brits have turkey though no where near the amount at Xmas.

We will be having roast turkey with cranberry sauce, roast potatoes, mashed potato, brocolli, peas carrots sweetcorn and gravy, cant wait

We are having ham, polish sausage, dumplings, corn, bread, hard boiled eggs and a few more sides. Dessert is a pie and a birthday cake. DD is turning 9 and we will celebrate with my side on Easter as there seem to be many scheduling conflicts this year.

Is a hoho cake the choclate cake roll with ice cream?

Oops! Sorry guys! I've been down with bronchitis and walking pneumonia, so I haven't been on here as often and missed your question.

Anyway, Ho Ho Cake is just my name for one of the richest, moistest (is that a word) chocolate cakes you'll ever taste, stuffed with a fluffy, white cream and topped with luscious chocolate icing. Here you go . . .

Ho Ho Cake

1 3/4 c. flour
2 c. sugar
3/4 c. cocoa
1 1/2 t. baking soda
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
2 eggs
1 c. milk
1/2 c. oil
2 t. vanilla
1 c. water, boiling

Sift together dry ingredients. In a separate bowl mix eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla. Combine dry and liquid ingredients and mix on medium speed for 5 minutes. Mix in boiling water. Bake in a greased and floured oblong pan at 350 for 30 minutes (or be sure to test for doneness).

Filling

Mix well and cook 'til thick 4 T. flour and 1 c. milk. Cool. Cream together 1 stick softened margarine, 1/2 c. Crisco, 1 c. sugar, and 1 t. vanilla. Beat cooled flour mixture with mixer 'til creamy. Add to margarine mixture and beat 'til it looks like whipped cream (takes a while).

Use decorator tip (or cone made out of freezer paper) to force filling into cake. (Stick the tip right down into the top of the cake and squeeze the filling in. You'll do this all over the cake.) Cake will plump up and sometimes split, but frosting will cover.

Frosting

1 lb. confectioner's sugar
4 heaping T. Cocoa
3/4 c. Crisco

Heat some milk to almost boiling. Add to other ingredients slowly till it's the right consistency for spreading. *Note: You could use a boxed chocolate cake mix, but the homemade version is much, much better!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter