Costco Travel; Great Value!

MumziMom

Mouseketeer
We priced out our first Universal Studios vacation. I looked at lots of places online, and ended up deciding that Costco Travel was by far the best deal. We decided to stay at one of the top three resorts, so we could get the Express passes. They only offered one of each "level" of the Universal hotels on their site (Portofino; Sapphire; Cabana Bay) The initial cost difference: I crunched the numbers, and if you assume flights and park tickets cost the same, Costco Travel cost us $$ less a night on a King Bay View at the Portofino (Universal cost: $306.75 + $38.34 tax per night = $345.09 - Costco Estimated Cost: $264.85 + $33.11 tax = $297.95, or $47.14 less a night than Universal charges.) I had to "reverse engineer" these costs, based on the flight costs + the $100 hotel deposit Costco takes up front.
Also, I have a Costco Citi credit card, which earns us 3% on travel, plus I have a Costco Executive membership, which earns an additional 2%, and Costco threw in a Costco Cash Card of $155.

2% Costco Exec Credit
$48.53
3% Cash Back
$72.79
Costco Cash Card
$155
Total Costco Benefits
$276.32*
Plus the savings of the $239.70 (+ 273.26) = savings of $516.02.
I pay $120 a year for the Costco Executive membership (which is $60 more than their base) but it pays for itself and quite a bit more. I do 90% of my shopping there. The cash back % amounts are based on pre-tax figures. We will fly in from Boston, stay 5 nights at the Portofino with a king bay view, have 2 5-day 3-park park-to-park tickets. The following Costco Travel costs includes tix/flights/hotel:
Vacation Package $2,426.31
Taxes and Fees$266.92
Total Package Price$2,693.23 - 276.32*% back, etc. = $2,416.91
Universal Travel would have cost us $1,725.47 +687.03 for park tickets = $2412.50, not including flights of $516.44 = $2,928.94. So, in essence, going through Costco Travel gave us our flights for "free"

Glad you found a good deal you are happy with! I too am a Costco Executive member, but since I have a Universal AP I have never looked at Costco packages.

Keep in mind that you can use your Costco Visa to pay for your trip no matter which way you booked it - and gotten the 3% rebate, so subtract about $88 from the Universal Travel package. It cuts the price difference a bit, but clearly, the Costco Travel package was the better deal.

I just figured out my hotel room cost per night, before any rebates:
Portofino Bay View King: $258.24
Tax (at 12.5%): $32.28
Per night total: $290.52
That is super good, considering the least expensive rate I can find this morning on Universal for those dates average $329.25 a night (deluxe Queen). Add 41.16 tax, and it runs $370.41 a night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!