Costco questions

So, I just looked up the Citi Costco Card and you get 3% back on travel. I didn't see free travel insurance though. Did I miss it somehow?

Looks like you need to login to see it, it's under Card Benefits -> Travel Benefits -> Trip Cancellation and Interruption Protection

It's up to $3000/traveler/trip or the amount that was charged to your card. It's nice to have, but is not comprehensive travel insurance though. Personally, we still get separate travel insurance for cruises especially for the medical evacuation and missed connection coverage.

On a side note, they just recently dropped the foreign transaction fee. :cheer2:

Looks like you need to login to see it, it's under Card Benefits -> Travel Benefits -> Trip Cancellation and Interruption Protection

It's up to $3000/traveler/trip or the amount that was charged to your card. It's nice to have, but is not comprehensive travel insurance though. Personally, we still get separate travel insurance for cruises especially for the medical evacuation and missed connection coverage.

On a side note, they just recently dropped the foreign transaction fee. :cheer2:
Thanks for the reply. We need more than that basic coverage, but it's nice to know it's there. I noticed about the foreign transaction fee. Yippee!:tongue:

I have the Costco card and had to use the trip insurance last October when we had a medical emergency the night before our cruise. It covered everything related to the trip that was paid for with the Costco Citi card. In my case that was nearly everything. I had a refund check within 2 weeks. I can't recommend it enough.

I need to add transfers post-cruise back to WDW. Do I book that through Costco or DCL? And, just to make sure I understand correctly, I need to make my final payment to Costco, but then I can check in and book everything else on the DCL site, right?

I need to add transfers post-cruise back to WDW. Do I book that through Costco or DCL? And, just to make sure I understand correctly, I need to make my final payment to Costco, but then I can check in and book everything else on the DCL site, right?

I believe you need to call Costco to have the transfers added; the $35 per person will then be added to your final payment due. And correct that you can do online check-in and book excursions/etc. through the DCL site yourself.

Enjoy your cruise!

I believe you need to call Costco to have the transfers added; the $35 per person will then be added to your final payment due. And correct that you can do online check-in and book excursions/etc. through the DCL site yourself.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks so much!!

I just did it. Call Costco and they will add it and put that amount on your cruise cost.

I called and asked that very question before upgrading to executive. I was told as long as you are an executive member before the cruise date, then you get the 2%.

Yes. I have been told the same thing. However, I have yet to hear any report of actual experience on this board. Since it's Costco, I am not too concerned about it, though. Plus, I had recently upgraded to Executive for 2% on other stuff, so the 2% on the cruise is just icing on the cake when I get it.

LAX

Can anyone confirm with their recent cash back checks if the 2% was applied even if upgrading to executive after the initial booking but before the cruise date?

Thanks.

I just did it. Call Costco and they will add it and put that amount on your cruise cost.
I just talked to Costco today and was told the amount of my Costco Cash Card would increase if my cruise price increased with excursions of other items added. They also remarked the cash card would go down if the cruise price went down, then she add “But that rarely happens with Disney”

With a Citi Costco card you get another 3% plus travel insurance for free.

If you use The Disney Visa do you think the insurance will cover it?

Do I need the “business membership” or just the regular to get the cash card or use their travel service?

Last edited:

Do I need the “business membership” or just the regular to get the cash card or use their travel service?

Booking the cruise through Costco can give you up to 3 stackable benefits, money-wise:

- a Costo cash card for 8.5% of cruise fare (mailed to you after travel has completed)
- If you pay by Costco VISA, you also get 3% of the paid amount back as Costco reward certificate (reward amount is combined with the rest of your Costco VISA rewards in that calendar year and mailed to you the following year in February or so)
- If you are a Costco "Excecutive Member" (costs $60/year more than regular membership), you also get 2% of the cruise fare back as Costco reward certificate.

As a side note, if you use the Costco VISA to pay for your onboard account (regardless if the onboard spending was for service/food/merchandise/etc.), it's coded as "travel" by Citibank and also qualifies for 3% reward.

Booking the cruise through Costco can give you up to 3 stackable benefits, money-wise:

- a Costo cash card for 8.5% of cruise fare (mailed to you after travel has completed)
- If you pay by Costco VISA, you also get 3% of the paid amount back as Costco reward certificate (reward amount is combined with the rest of your Costco VISA rewards in that calendar year and mailed to you the following year in February or so)
- If you are a Costco "Excecutive Member" (costs $60/year more than regular membership), you also get 2% of the cruise fare back as Costco reward certificate.

As a side note, if you use the Costco VISA to pay for your onboard account (regardless if the onboard spending was for service/food/merchandise/etc.), it's coded as "travel" by Citibank and also qualifies for 3% reward.

The hightlighted alone are likely more than enough to cover for the Executive membership for most people. While paying with a Costco Visa does earn an additional 3% (regardless of where the booking is made, by the way), paying with Disney GCs purchased at a discount (not difficult to find deals, but does require some work) often yield greater savings.

LAX

I dont know about the insurance, but you just need to be a regular member to get the cash card.

Wow... I thinks that’s one heck of a deal! Thank you!

The hightlighted alone are likely more than enough to cover for the Executive membership for most people. While paying with a Costco Visa does earn an additional 3% (regardless of where the booking is made, by the way), paying with Disney GCs purchased at a discount (not difficult to find deals, but does require some work) often yield greater savings.

LAX

Thanks! I used Disney gift cards this time and was able to save quite a bit. But the thought of insurance does sound appealing when using the Visa card

I dont know about the insurance, but you just need to be a regular member to get the cash card.

Thank you! I’m going to get a membership now :)

But the thought of insurance does sound appealing when using the Visa card
The insurance may not be as comprehensive as you might need/want, or it may be enough coverage for you, but read the fine print. I have a number of credit cards that offer travel insurance but still chose to get separate coverage which includes medical evac and other things.

I transferred our cruise to Costco and will use credit card rewards and discounted Disney cards for additional discounts.

I have a membership with family so we split costs. Plus the cashback at the end of the year always covers the Executive membership plus some.

Its kind of funny after the cruise when we get the years supply of toilet paper and peanut butter as well as enough to fill the car with a ton of junk I would not normally buy...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter