Cost Comparisons

Meghankmacmac

Earning My Ears
Good evening! We are planning our first Disney Cruise and couldn’t be more excited. I’ve been reading through a few threads and wanted to know if anyone can tell me a price comparison for booking 16 months in advance vs. 6 months in advance.

We are looking at a 4 night Bahamian Cruise. We are a family of 5 with kids ages 5, 3, and 1. We are looking to travel in June.

The price quote I got for the cruise that sails on June 10-14, 2019 is $7000 for a balcony room that sleeps five (no oceanview available). Does this seem reasonable? It sounds quite high to me and I was wondering if it would make more sense to book for June 2020 when the new schedule is released. Would the price be less?

Thank you so much for all the input!!

I would research how much the price went up (if at all) in the past 2 to 3 years for the same room type, time period, and destination, to get an idea on future price rises. I would guess that there was a big price based on fuel costs 3 years back if nothing else. As for the current price quote of $7000.00 for a 4 night cruise for 5, the math says that costs $350.00 per person per day. Only you can decide if that's too much, too little, or just right.

Last edited:
It has been a few years because DCL prices have skyrocketed and we no longer see the value BUT you need to 1. Book as soon as the rates come out or 2. Wait until very last minute (within 3 months of sailing especially if you are Florida resident or military ) to book. Our findings are unless you book VERY early, the cost only went up. Please know that you are taking a chance with a last minute cruise and you may not get the room catagory or ship area you wish but sometimes do offer decent deals last minute. Unfortunately there are not many rooms for a family of 5. Booking early would give you the option of an ocean view family room that can sleep 5. Of course June is always more expensive because kids are out of school.
BUT DCL cruises are wonderful and you would have a blast!!! My little ones always had so much fun!!!!!

Book in advance for the best price, June is the beginning of peak season, and there would be little chance a cabin for 5 would be available last minute.

That seems right for June...June through August are bonkers high. September was pretty cheap, if you're willing to risk hurricane season (somehow we lucked out in 2014)

16 months out -- are you booking for March 2020? Those are peak fares for spring break time. I would book sooner rather than later. Generally speaking, fares only increase over time; cruises are priced in "tiers" so once X% of staterooms are booked the price increases, then another X% get booked and fares increase again, etc. There may be some "last-minute" offers, which may or may not be less than the current fare, and you likely would have to split up to 2 staterooms. I wouldn't chance it.

What you might want to do is look at splitting into 2 oceanview staterooms, or 2 interior staterooms, or 1 oceanview + 1 interior (but probably not with kids that young). You can select connecting rooms for 2 of the same room-type. There are relatively few staterooms that sleep 5 passengers.

Enjoy your cruise!

Something we always did to because my brother has 4 little kids, we made cruises a family affair. ( we would have anyway) They let the older two “stay” with grandma and grandpa (on paper anyway) so nobody had to get the larger staterooms that always seem so much more expensive and are limited.

If you want to do summer for a cabin that sleeps 5, book as far out as possible. While there are sometimes last minute deals, they aren’t as common with DCL and there are not as many cabins that sleep 5, so it’s likely there wouldn’t be deals for those cabins.

We are a party of 5 with similar ages and have cruised DCL several times. That would be out of our acceptable price range.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter