Cosplay

All Tangled Up

Mouseketeer
First of all, for those of you who don't know what cosplay (costume play) is, it's the act of dressing up as a character from anything (TV, books, anime, comics, video games, Disney!!) I was wondering if anyone here cosplays.

I will be making costumes of Rapunzel (with her hair in the braid and flowers) and Ariel (her Kiss the Girl dress). I may have the buy the dress for Rapunzel but I am DEFINITELY making the wig by myself.

As for Ariel, I'll be styling the wig myself and sewing the dress from scratch (not sure if I'll be making the corset/bodice or buying one yet since those are hard to make...)

Anyway, I'd love to hear about your cosplays even if they aren't Disney related :yay:

I'd like to think of myself as a cosplayer. I'm starting my second one, I make what I wear. I was Crona from Soul Eater and I loved it. Getting asked for photos of your hard work that you did on yourself is such a great feeling. I'm debating who I should go as for my next con in June, I should start soon.

I don't cosplay, but would like too if I had the skill or money it seems fun. I want to be Lux (League of Legends), a Marvel character, or River Song (Doctor Who).

I do though dress up as Cinderella (And probably soon Elsa too) at work for birthday parties and that's really fun.

I'm an amateur cosplayer-I've placed well at a few local cons. It's a nice hobby, though my sewing skills are abysmal. My favorite one is Maka Albarn from Soul Eater-I work constantly at her costume to improve at it, and we have similar hair so I just have to put it up in pigtails. I'm working on an Anna, Elsa, and Olaf cosplay with friends. We've put a lot of work into so far.

I've dressed as Tom Baker's scarf on more than a few occasions.

I'm an amateur cosplayer-I've placed well at a few local cons. It's a nice hobby, though my sewing skills are abysmal. My favorite one is Maka Albarn from Soul Eater-I work constantly at her costume to improve at it, and we have similar hair so I just have to put it up in pigtails. I'm working on an Anna, Elsa, and Olaf cosplay with friends. We've put a lot of work into so far. I've dressed as Tom Baker's scarf on more than a few occasions.

YESSSS MAKAAAA! It's great when you find people that are cosplaying from the same anime/subject. Pics are great.

Cool, I didn't know some people on here liked to cosplay :)

I've also done a cosplay of Kairi from Kingdom Hearts II if anyone wants to see :)

Cool, I didn't know some people on here liked to cosplay :)

I've also done a cosplay of Kairi from Kingdom Hearts II if anyone wants to see :)

Oh my gosh that's my favorite game!! Please show me! And I don't cosplay but if I had any sort of arts skill it would be cool

Oh my gosh that's my favorite game!! Please show me! And I don't cosplay but if I had any sort of arts skill it would be cool

Bad pics but whatever XD

(The Sora is my boyfriend)

7hkdcjU.jpg

nFQOPSm.jpg

Can I revive this thread? I'm starting my Rapunzel cosplay soon. I'll have to post some pics of the WIP of the wig! :)

I have never done cosplay before myself, but it seems and looks(from your pictures) to be very fun. If I had the time to make a Princess Tiana Foam Green Color Gown, Gloves, and Crown I would definitely do so. The only time I would have time for something like that would be the Summer and it is already July so I don't think I could make a Gown and stuff by the time school begins on the day after Labor Day. There is no way I could do it during school with all the school work, sporting events at school I like to attend, the plays I get involved in, the dances, plus this year being my Senior Year the College Applications and Visits. It does look like a lot of fun though and I am looking forward to seeing your Rapunzel one.

Before I read this thread I had no idea what Cosplay even was. Living in South Africa most of my life with the exception of the last 2 years we didn't have anything like this at all. Heck we didn't even celebrate Halloween like they do here in America. I have heard though from family and friends in South Africa that a few towns have started to celebrate Halloween. Now being in America for 2 years now I still don't feel the need to dress up as anything else. My little brother has for Halloween here in America and we hand out candy to all the kids that come to our house, but I don't have to dress up.

Most cosplay happens at cons, conventions, like ComicCon. It's not really tied to Halloween.

Oh, but it is dressing up as other characters, right?
Yes, but there is a huge difference between cosplaying and Halloween. Most people who dress up for Halloween do a generic character (vampire, witch, zombie etc), buy their costume at a Halloween store, and just do it casually.

Cosplayers are different because they actually dress up as a character from pop culture (Tv shows, anime, cartoons, video games, Disney, books, movies, just about anything) and try their best to look the same as the character, some people do buy their costumes, but others make it (and put a lot of effort and money into it). I think the least I ever spent on a cosplay costume was $50 or $60, and I already had some pieces for it (the dress and makeup and shoes). There are also contests and competitions where cosplayers compete to win the best costume/performance, though it's not all about that in America (in USA it's mostly about having fun and getting to portray the character you love). You can read more about it here if you're that interested: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosplay

Cosplayers just tell "normies" that cosplaying is like Halloween, because it's something that a normie would understand and connect to easier, rather than rambling onto a huge lecture (like I just did) and probably still have them be confused at the end of it.

Hey everyone!!! Just an update on Punzie. My wigs have not arrived yet but all of my other supplies have! So I started hot glueing hair clips onto flowers for the braided wig :) My dress will come soon too, hopefully!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!