Coronavirus and DCL Megathread - Suspension of Departures for the fleet until early November. Booking only available from early December.

You really don't. I mean, if you want to, go for it. But "definitely need to" is probably overstating a bit.

To answer the OP's question: no. Enjoy your cruise!
call me overly cautious or whatever but I have noticed there are some questionable behavior on air travel or any kind of travel. re: bare feet on plane seats, nose picking then flicking, mouth open coughing, hocking a loogie in the hot tub filter on the side (on princess cruise to alaska, shudder) etc...
i don't oppose to some bacteria in the system (you need it in fact) but i've learned to just take my extra precautions for any virus when amongst a large group of people. wouldn't make sense to get sick or feel under the weather & have vacation ruined...

Last edited:
My DH got noro on our first Disney cruise and so did my coworker's young daughter, and both were quarantined in their rooms. Now that I know my stateroom might have had a quarantined person in it right before me, when I enter the stateroom, I always take some sanitizer wipes and rub down the door handles, light switches, wave phones, tv remotes, sink knobs and toilet flush lever. Even that won't really kill noro/flu perfectly since it is an antibacterial wipe and noro/flu are viruses, but there is still some benefit to physically scrubbing the surface to wipe off germs.

I would not be in the slightest bit worried about coronavirus. Seems very unlikely given the geographic scope and quarantine measures in place. I also recall that back during the ebola outbreak, our medical clearance form at the port required us to disclose if we had been in Africa recently. I wonder if they will do the same for the affected cities in China on upcoming DCL cruises.

There are no reports of the virus showing up in the Bahamas. Take precautions and enjoy your cruise.

I’m going next month. I am not concerned about it anymore than I am concerned about any other disease. Proper hand washing goes a long way.

The coronavirus fear is a lot of media-fueled hysteria. Cruise ship or not you are far more likely to die of influenza than coronavirus.

Since the rise of the 24h news channels and social media 'news', lots of fear and hysteria is fuelled by media unfortunately. Right now, Ebola is still killing Africans but haven't seen any news about that health crisis in a long time... As of December 2019 it had killed more than 3000 people (previous outbreak killed more than 25K) but we panic with a virus that killed less than 30.

Not worried about Coronavirus at all.

Number of people in the U.S. killed annually by Coronavirus = 0
Number of people in the U.S. killed annually by taking selfie pic = 2
Number of people in the U.S. killed annually by vending machines falling on them = 13
Number of people in the U.S. killed annually by lightning = 31
Number of people in the U.S. killed annually by falling out of bed = 450

You get the point. You are more likely to die taking a selfie than by contracting the Coronavirus.

Are you sure about the number of people killed annually by taking a selfie pic? There seem to be way more than a couple stories per year about someone falling off a cliff as they were trying to get the perfect selfie.

But otherwise, you're spot on.

I work in the healthcare field and primary prevention: hand washing with soap and water. Sing the Happy Birthday Song x 2 to yourself. Will be heading on a cruise to Hawaii in April - stocking up on hand sanitizer now. :-)

Number of people in the U.S. killed annually by vending machines falling on them = 13

You get the point. You are more likely to die taking a selfie than by contracting the Coronavirus.

This strain of the coronavirus was first discovered a month ago. Were any of these things discovered/made only a month ago? Completely false comparison.

No, not worried. We are big hand washers and rarely get sick. None of us has ever had the flu or any other major illness. Colds and sinus infections are about the worst that we get. That and a couple of instances of food poisoning. Hand washing is your number one defense against this, not sanitizers. Don't eat anything unless you have just washed your hands. If you are spending the day out and about touching door handles, deck chairs, your shoes, etc and then go and get a burger without washing your hands first. That is what puts you at risk.

This is so silly. In 1980, you could have written this post about AIDS...backward looking is useless information. You have no way to assess how many deaths will be in the US from this virus. I do agree that there isn't much reason to be worried in the US right now, but not because of this incredibly stupid data.

Coronavirus refers to a family of virus strains and not a single virus. The 2003 SARS - which caused 8,000 infections and 774 deaths - was also a member of this family. The Wuhan virus is a brand new strain of Betacoronavirus with a 70% genetic similarity to the 2003 SARS. Both good and bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is so silly. In 1980, you could have written this post about AIDS...backward looking is useless information

Wasn't meant to be data, was meant to be an example. If you want to alter your cruise because you think you will get ebola, sars, avian flu, zika, west nile, corona virus, or whatever other doom and gloom virus the media wants to report on next week, then that's your right. The corona virus has been around for many, many years. Just because a certain strain was mapped last week does not mean it's new. Once again, I will defer to the expertise of the WHO and the CDC and not twitter, the internet sheeple or the media. "Backward looking"? Really? "Backward looking" as you put it is the only real info, anything regarding future would be opinion or speculation. You may call it 'backward looking" but the world calls past info "facts".

Wasn't meant to be data, was meant to be an example. If you want to alter your cruise because you think you will get ebola, sars, avian flu, zika, west nile, corona virus, or whatever other doom and gloom virus the media wants to report on next week, then that's your right. The corona virus has been around for many, many years. Just because a certain strain was mapped last week does not mean it's new. Once again, I will defer to the expertise of the WHO and the CDC and not twitter, the internet sheeple or the media. "Backward looking"? Really? "Backward looking" as you put it is the only real info, anything regarding future would be opinion or speculation. You may call it 'backward looking" but the world calls past info "facts".

I have no intent to change my travel plans in any way. I said in my post that I didn't think there was anything to worry about here. Obviously, your command of reading comprehension is not much better than your command of statistics.

That said, China isn't quarantining cities and destroying roadways because there is nothing new happening.

Zero people died in a 737max crash prior to 2018, so I suppose you would have predicted that it was not dangerous to fly on one? You could have even compared 737max deaths to lightning deaths. You would have yielded ZERO insight into the safety of that plane.

You could have shown your same chart for China 2 months ago. It's implication would have been completely wrong.

That said, China isn't quarantining cities and destroying roadways because there is nothing new happening

Then let's all hide in our homes. Once again, I'll defer to the expertise of the WHO and the CDC and not the wikiweb.

As someone from China (not Wuhan) and is watching the matter probably more closely than most of people here, I would say, certain amount of caution is needed. It's Chinese New Year. People don't just go home. People travel for fun too. And with the rising up middle class, people travel abroad, everywhere in the world.

The travel ban wasn't enforced until the 22nd and people can go showing very few symptoms for up to two weeks while being infected and infectious. That's why the government is taking the matter so serious. Shanghai Disneyland was shut down as of three days ago. My family live far far away from Wuhan, but my city is pretty much self quarantined. No one goes out unless necessary.

Even here in the US, I have seen different opinions from reputable infectious disease experts. Some say it's no more serious than the flu, some say it has the potential to turn into a pandemic. I guess it's just too early to tell.

Now if I have a cruised booked to Bahamas, I probably will not cancel it. I'll just wash my hands 2 million times a day. But I am holding on booking anything for my travel plans this year anywhere. I have travel plans for China, Japan as well as within US. I'll re-access by end of Feb/early March.

Last edited:
I have just seen on the "book of space" that DCL have updated their health question for embarking passengers. It now includes

Have you been to Wuhan, China or been in contact with anyone who has been to Wuhan , China in the last 14 days?

I would be very cautious if I were you. Bring face masks, and wash hands often.

Recent news have shown that some people that has the virus have no fever and no obvious symptoms.

For ourselves, we are avoiding travels in the time being.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!