Coronado Transportation- HELP PLEASE!

Kristin Weiss

Mouseketeer
Hi guys. I know this is a long shot, but is there anyone who can help me figure out Coronado Transportation? If my family of 4 (kids aged 10), take the San Diego Ferry over, what’s the best and easiest way to get to Hotel Del and Beaches? How far of a walk is it? Thanks so much for any help!

I knew it wasn't far from the ferry to the Hotel Del but I googled it to see how far....
This shows bus options, walking and also how much it might cost for a lyft.

I knew it wasn't far from the ferry to the Hotel Del but I googled it to see how far....
This shows bus options, walking and also how much it might cost for a lyft.
View attachment 575773
Thank you SO MUCH. I really appreciate the help! Have you ever walked it before? Just wondering if it’s safe and easy with kids? Or maybe the Lyft is the better option?

I've only ever driven around Coronado so I don't know about the walk. The walking route takes you through a residential area with sidewalks and crosswalks so I'm sure it's safe but personally, I would probably take the bus or a lyft. LOL

I've only ever driven around Coronado so I don't know about the walk. The walking route takes you through a residential area with sidewalks and crosswalks so I'm sure it's safe but personally, I would probably take the bus or a lyft. LOL
Haha ok! Thank you so much. 😀

We have vacationed in Coronado and either used a taxi or bus to get to/ from the Del to Ferry landing. As a PP said it is mostly a retail/residential area & always felt safe to us.

We have vacationed in Coronado and either used a taxi or bus to get to/ from the Del to Ferry landing. As a PP said it is mostly a retail/residential area & always felt safe to us.
Thank you! Do you think the walk would be ok? I was under the impression there may be shops, etc to see on the way?

Thank you! Do you think the walk would be ok? I was under the impression there may be shops, etc to see on the way?
It has been a couple of years since our last visit. The shops weren't all that interesting at least to me. Some were the normal things you find at home. A few drug stores, a supermarket , multiple restaurants. The Coronado Chamber of Commerce used to have a list of shops, restaurants, etc on Orange Ave. & the rest of Coronado. There were also some touristy shops at the Ferry Landing.

It has been a couple of years since our last visit. The shops weren't all that interesting at least to me. Some were the normal things you find at home. A few drug stores, a supermarket , multiple restaurants. The Coronado Chamber of Commerce used to have a list of shops, restaurants, etc on Orange Ave. & the rest of Coronado. There were also some touristy shops at the Ferry Landing.
Gotcha. Thank you again so much for your help. I really appreciate it! 😊

There are a few touristy shops around the ferry station and across from the Hotel Del. There are probably more restaurants than touristy shops and most of the rest of the island is residential(that is public...most of the island is a Naval station in case you didn't know)

Last edited:
There are a few touristy shops around the ferry station and across from the Hotel Del. There are probably more restaurants than touristy shops and most of the rest of the island is residential(that is public...most of the island is a Naval station in case you didn't know)
[/QUOT
I’ve actually never spent a lot of time there, so this all really helps. I just wanted to be prepared so we could have the best time possible. Thank you!

The walk from the ferry landing to the Hotel del is a fine walk. Coronado is a much safer and cleaner area than most of San Diego. There are some shops/restaurants that you will pass on the way, as well as some pretty houses.

There is a beach in front of Hotel Del that you can use and a little further from that is one of the more popular beaches including an off leash dog beach. I'm not sure what services will be open when you go. Things are slowly reopening and if Hotel Del has everything open again, you could easily get a full days worth of meals right there and keep yourself busy for the entire day.

There's also a Lowes resort close to Hotel Del. I think they sell day passes to use all their stuff. I have never been there, but I've read good things about it. It doesn't seem to have an actual beach, though, like Hotel Del has.

The walk from the ferry landing to the Hotel del is a fine walk. Coronado is a much safer and cleaner area than most of San Diego. There are some shops/restaurants that you will pass on the way, as well as some pretty houses.

There is a beach in front of Hotel Del that you can use and a little further from that is one of the more popular beaches including an off leash dog beach. I'm not sure what services will be open when you go. Things are slowly reopening and if Hotel Del has everything open again, you could easily get a full days worth of meals right there and keep yourself busy for the entire day.

There's also a Lowes resort close to Hotel Del. I think they sell day passes to use all their stuff. I have never been there, but I've read good things about it. It doesn't seem to have an actual beach, though, like Hotel Del has.
Thank you SO MUCH!!! This is very helpful information! We won’t be going until November, but I just wanted to get as much info as I could. I think we will probably try and do the walk to Hotel Del! 🤩👍

Lowes is a few miles from the Hotel Del on the Silver Strand. It is located on the bay side of the strand, but they have a beach service that will take you by golf cart from the resort to the beach and set-up a chair and umbrella for you.

If you are interested, the Hotel Del also has a beach club with chair service. You can reserve the chairs or daybeds ahead of time on their website. If you are traveling with children, this might be easier than lugging things with you from the ferry. The walk from the ferry is very safe. If you walk down Orange all the way to the Del, there are a lot of restaurants and shops along the way. It’s a pretty walk. You can also rent bikes at the ferry landing and ride bikes down.

Lowes is a few miles from the Hotel Del on the Silver Strand. It is located on the bay side of the strand, but they have a beach service that will take you by golf cart from the resort to the beach and set-up a chair and umbrella for you.

If you are interested, the Hotel Del also has a beach club with chair service. You can reserve the chairs or daybeds ahead of time on their website. If you are traveling with children, this might be easier than lugging things with you from the ferry. The walk from the ferry is very safe. If you walk down Orange all the way to the Del, there are a lot of restaurants and shops along the way. It’s a pretty walk. You can also rent bikes at the ferry landing and ride bikes down.
Thanks so much! I didn’t know you could rent chairs ahead of time. That’s perfect!! Thanks for letting me know!

Thanks so much! I didn’t know you could rent chairs ahead of time. That’s perfect!! Thanks for letting me know!

Also look into “Movies on the Beach”. We LOVE going to those at the Del. They are usually on Friday and Saturday nights. Usually they are family-friendly movies. I believe it’s $25 a chair. They usually have their beach bar open so you can order drinks or popcorn and bring them back to your seats. It’s one of our favorite activities.

In 2017 I spent a long weekend in San Diego before going to Disneyland. I took the Old town trolley bus tour , got off at the Del, looked around then walked back up Orange Avenue ( very nice walk) to the Ferry dock back to the 5th Avenue pier ( Convention center ) then walked to my hotel ( Hilton Gaslamp). It was a lovely walk ( probably around 25mins or so) and perfectly safe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter