Coronado Springs vs POFQ

Gina Starr

DIS Veteran
My husband and I consider French Quarter home but of course they don’t participate in many promotions including free dining. So my dilemma is do we try a different resort to get free dining or stay at FQ? Coronado Springs will be $100 more and get free dining. We will absolutely spend more than $100 on food during the 5 day trip but I’m thinking I’d rather spend the extra money and stay at French Quarter. We haven’t stayed anywhere else and I’m worried about big resorts and distance to the main building. Also, the bus situation with multiple stops. Has anyone stayed at both FQ and Coronado? Thoughts?

I've stayed at both and like them both for very different reasons. But, I always feel that the DP is not a good fit for me (us) because we just don't eat that much food. I can control costs better if I am choosing my own foods. We are not big dessert people, so that's not a plus. Meals are usually plenty. We may have 2 or 3 snacks in the course of a week, but not 2 every day! I don't need one more refillable mug. I just always go with the room discount, which is usually a better deal anyway. It just sounds better if something is "free".

Stayed at both and would pick CSR in a heartbeat ESPECIALLY with the Dining Plan. While POFQ has one option to eat, CSR has multiple. Great hotel to stay at with DDP.

Have never had issues with buses and resort is smaller than POR.

We have stayed at both. The multiple bus stops at CSR aren't an issue, but we usually stay in either Casitas (Buildings 1,2, and 3 are preferred) or the Ranchos section. The refurbished rooms at CSR are really beautiful... lots of storage, dual sinks, new flooring, and they now have higher beds so you can stow your suitcase under your bed. I will say that there is construction going on at the resort which can be a deterrent for many folks. I had 2 trips at CSR this past month alone and the construction didn't bother us a bit. There is a great Facebook group for CSR that has a TON of information about the resort. CSR has some of the nicest cast members I've ever encountered.

I've stayed at both. Although I love POFQ, my preference would be CS. I like the food options, and having a sit-down restaurant. Big resorts don't bother me, and I was never overwhelmed by the size of CS. With multiple stays, I've never experienced any bus issues that I didn't experience at other resorts. I'd take a look at the menus online (AllEars) and get an idea about what your food costs would be, it might make your decision easier.

We love POFQ but recently branched our and stayed at CSR. I didn’t love CSR like I do POFQ but I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend either of them. Love the food options at CSR, so much. I really like tacos and Tex mex type stuff, while my family is more traditional, and we were all able to find food we liked for the week. I would give CSR a shot this time, make use of the dining plan. Request a Casitas building so you are close to bus stop number 2 which is the first on to get to the parks and the first off the bus when returning. It’s close enough to the main building and the majority of the food options that it’s at most a 10 minutes walk. I’m glad we chose to stay here this past trip. We are now DVC so not sure if we will be back but I would recommended it.

I have stayed at both and prefer POFQ, but CSR was a great resort. It felt more modern to me. CSR is a beautiful place to watch the sunset.

Here is the thing, if you are open to try new things and want to have a good time, it doesn't matter what you pick. If you go in saying you will miss POFQ, you will probably not be happy there. You know yourself better than any of us could predict.

Thanks guys! I think we are going to try a different resort. The room only discount is definitely better for us. The “free” dining is like $475 more than the room only price and I don’t see us spending that much on food. Now I see Caribbean Beach is same price as CSR so I have to decide between those two. Thanks again!

I've stayed at both and like them both for very different reasons. But, I always feel that the DP is not a good fit for me (us) because we just don't eat that much food. I can control costs better if I am choosing my own foods. We are not big dessert people, so that's not a plus. Meals are usually plenty. We may have 2 or 3 snacks in the course of a week, but not 2 every day! I don't need one more refillable mug. I just always go with the room discount, which is usually a better deal anyway. It just sounds better if something is "free".

I’m sure you would still pay over $100 on food for the week though. If I’m reading right the poster says she would only pay $100 more to stay at CS “with” the free dining plan. You can still eat how you like you just don’t have to pay for it on the “free” plan...

Fogive me in her OP she said she would only spend $100 more. Her last post said there is a $475 difference. Not sure which is which now...

We like all the Mods and would not hesitate to recommend any of the 4. POFQ is definitely our favorite of the 4 with POR a close 2nd, we really like the having the boat to DS option. Now FD is requiring you to stay at least 4 nights AND making you buy a 4 day hopper ticket:( So the "free" part has gotten even more costly.

I’m sure you would still pay over $100 on food for the week though. If I’m reading right the poster says she would only pay $100 more to stay at CS “with” the free dining plan. You can still eat how you like you just don’t have to pay for it on the “free” plan...

Fogive me in her OP she said she would only spend $100 more. Her last post said there is a $475 difference. Not sure which is which now...
The $100 difference was if the OP stayed at POFQ (no discount). The $475 is the RO discount they would get at CSR instead of FD.

Sorry, I wasn’t clear. $100 was price difference between FQ with no discounts and CSR with free dining. $475 is price difference between CSR with free dining and CSR room only discount.

We like all the Mods and would not hesitate to recommend any of the 4. POFQ is definitely our favorite of the 4 with POR a close 2nd, we really like the having the boat to DS option. Now FD is requiring you to stay at least 4 nights AND making you buy a 4 day hopper ticket:( So the "free" part has gotten even more costly.
I know! We plan on upgrading to AP so the ticket price isn’t as big a deal but that does throw in another possible discount option. I just wish POFQ offered better discounts then I wouldn’t have this dilemma!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter