Copyright issues with artwork

Those are beautiful! I want them! I can't wait to here what you find out about selling them.

Those are beautiful! I want them! I can't wait to here what you find out about selling them.

What gorgeous ballerinas you have! My 11 y-o DD has just finished summer ballet, and this year will be her 6th year of ballet. She just loves it, and it has really helped with her grace and poise. I am not convinced she'll ever really have much longevity with it because we are just not born with the body type for it... way too many curves. But, anyway I do think it is such a beautiful art form. Love your photos.

I really appreciate your kind words. I have actually finally contacted the correct department at Disney in writing... they prefer e-mail and want specific details about what it is you are inquiring about. They have several different sets of addresses for the different copyright issues... i.e. characters, music, videos, etc. So, I am waiting to hear back, and they said it would be 4 to 6 weeks. (Just in time for my next trip to Disney World... LOL!)

Thanks again for the comments!

pixiedust:

I know some people wont like this answer, but IMO, advertise and sell them. IF disney decides you are worth chasing (dont read into the word 'worth' too much, remember, as you said disney is a bazillion $ business), then you will have your answer :).

I know, I know, it's not the 'right' way to do it, but sometimes, it's easier to ask forgiveness then permission.. I'm married, I know how that works..

Also, great drawings...

I got a letter in the mail from Disney just a few days ago, and I have to say that it was rather ambiguous. There was no "you may not draw and sell these buildings" in it. It did say that "use of the characters without prior authorization from us would infringe our intellectual property rights in those characters," which I assumed beforehand.

Thanks to all of you for your terrific encouragement. pixiedust:

“Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things because we're curious, and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.” - Walt Disney

Well, that sounds like you have permission then since you have no characters in your beautiful artwork!!! You go girl!! :banana:

LOL... I would not go so far as to say that they gave permission, but rather that they did not say "no." :)

One word of caution--just as you wouldn't go to a stomach doctor (gastroenterologist) for a nasal problem, a trusts and wills attorney probably won't know too much about copyright--especially about copyright issues with one of the biggest companies in the world. (I'm a real estate attorney and no way would I feel qualified or even attempt to give you copyright and trademark advice!)

But your drawings are beautiful! If I was Disney I would commission you!

Thanks so much for the advice, and I will take that under advisement. I also have a friend who works in coypright law, so I may try and get her take on it. You are right about dealing with a monstrosity of a corporation. I can't tell you the hoops I had to jump through to actually get communication from them.

Thanks for the compliment about the artwork, too. I have begun working on EPCOT France, (which due to school being back in session and planning for our WDW trip in 16 days, is going rather slowly.) :)

pixiedust:

I was wondering if you got any updates on the copyright issue, and also wanted to tell you how talented I think you are. Those sketches are amazing.

If you bring them to the Shrimp Fest I may be tempted to buy one ;)

Your sketches are wonderful. You could always sell them on Ebay. If Disney had a problem with it, you would know...they would pull your auction.

Good Luck finding a solid answer.

hristi,

I think you are very talented and although Disney may have copyright to "their" images & characters They don't have copyright to yours- They can't stop you from your talent! Unless you sold them posing as a "Licensed Disney Artist" - IMO you should have carte blanche- WTG btw! They are gorgeous- What wonderful gifts they would make also!
But on the legal note- I would do some copyright searches in general to really read what constitutes the rights you have, against the images you are drawing and the fact that the designs themselves are probably copyright by Disney Designers, archtitechts (sp), planners, Imagineers, etc- Just so you have some type of info on it- I do know that archtitechts do have designs copyright-ed so no one can design the same w/o their permission- etc

Greetings from the heart of Walt Disney World. We have been here for five days, and we have five more to go. It always flies by! We are having a great time and have been with my mother who experienced it for the first time with us this year! She left this morning on the Magical Express, and I was so sad to see her go.

Just wanted to post a quick note to tell you all how much I appreciate your kind comments. I have had communication from Disney regarding Licensing which I am pursuing now. So I will know more later. In the meantime, if you have any other questions please send an email to bamac86(at)charter.net.

pixiedust:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter