Coping with anxiety at the Parks

DiannaVM

DIS Veteran
I am not sure if this is the place for it, but this seemed the most appropriate. As I have mentioned in other posts, I suffer from generalized anxiety. Part of the reason why I am taking my upcoming WDW trip IS because I have been under alot of stress which induced some of my anxiety, despite the fact that I have been getting treatment (no meds officially) for the past month.

My psychologist did not want to put me on medication because I plan on getting pregnant soon and any medication could affect pregnancy. However my regular doctor put me on a low-dose of Xanax (which my psychologist knows about) for when I REALLY need it. My trip is next week and while I am super excited, as much as I love Disney sometimes while at the parks I start to feel anxious just out of the blue. Its never gotten too bad, but I am anticipating that to try to curb any bad feelings I will have to take the Xanax every morning and hope that it will carry me through the day (or at least most of it) alright. Then there is also the issue where I hate flying on my way back home I will be flying by myself. Those days I will have to take the Xanax as I board the plane to make sure it starts acting during the flight and not too early.

I am going to discuss all of this with my psychologist when I go see her tomorrow, but I just wanted to know how do other anxiety sufferers deal with it at the park without simply resorting to medication or leaving the line? Like right now I am SOO excited but just thinking about my trip, mixed in the excitement is also anxiety (right now I feel like my heart is going to jump out of my chest! lol). I think maybe this is more a matter of "I am too excited and thats why everything is working overtime, seemingly against me but not really". I am just concerned because I dont want to miss out on things just because I cant get myself calm enough to just relax and enjoy.

Thanks for the tips!!

I have anxiety as well, but I'm not on medication for it and it's pretty mild most of the time. When I'm in the parks, I know I'm getting an attack when I start to walk faster, can't seem to stop, but I don't know where I'm going. I try to find a place to sit down for a bit, see a show, etc. to get away from the crowd. It usually helps and in 30 minutes to an hour I feel fine and am back enjoying the parks.

I have anxiety as well, but I'm not on medication for it and it's pretty mild most of the time. When I'm in the parks, I know I'm getting an attack when I start to walk faster, can't seem to stop, but I don't know where I'm going. I try to find a place to sit down for a bit, see a show, etc. to get away from the crowd. It usually helps and in 30 minutes to an hour I feel fine and am back enjoying the parks.
Thank you. Your suggestion was actually the exact same thing my psychologist said I should do. Just take a break when things start to get overwhelming in a "quiet" place,and also ask myself what is bothering me (i.e. Is there too much stimulation, am I tired, am I hungry, am I thirsty, etc)

OP, I hope everything goes well on your trip. Can I say that I'm jealous that you are going?

I am a big anxiety sufferer; however, the parks are not where it hits me so I don't really know how to tell you to cope.

In general, anxiety hits me when I'm tried, stressed, overwhelmed, too much stimulations, etc (yet not at DISNEY!!).

My only suggestions are to make sure you get plenty of sleep on the trip, avoid too much junk and caffeine, and definitely seek out some quiet places throughout the day. Only you know what your triggers are and it could just be crowds, noise, and people. Whatever they are, do what you can to minimize your exposure to them. And have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts