Cool side activities for families?

Brenda Wood

Earning My Ears
My 6 yr old is a bit of a wimp when it comes to rides. She LOVES the princesses and pin trading. What other cool things can we do in the park while our more adventurous family members do big rides? I hear about hidden mickey's, but don't know what it's all about? Are there other things like that?

I haven't done any of these, but my daughter and I watched some youtube videos and she wants to the the Pirate's Adventure in MK and Agent P's Adventure at Epcot.

There is a book for the Hidden Mickeys and then I’m sure a search on the ‘net will pull up more. Basically, there are various forms of Mickey silhouettes - most commonly the ears °O° - subtly placed somewhere in the ride attractions, in the queues, on the walkways, and so on. If this is her first trip, know that the ride ones can be difficult to spot and can take away from the ride experience. (You are so busy looking for Mickey in a particular scene or location that you don’t look at everything else!) BUT, if you re-ride, then it could be fun!

At MK, there is The Muppets Present Great Moments in History in Liberty Square - a really cute show and they have, I think, 4 different stories? Plus, there are so many other entertainers and little performances in all of the parks. I think one day, if I ever go solo to WDW, I would take the time to see all the entertainment that we always seem to pass by going to the next attraction! Anyhow...

Epcot has the KidCot stations in all the countries where she can interact with a CM from that country. AK has the Wilderness Explorers, where you collect “badges” from different stations in the park. At the stations the CMs share information about animals, conservation, etc. Plus oftentimes there are CMs located at animal enclosures just waiting for someone to ask them questions! DHS has lots of shows, so she should be good there.

Collect pressed pennies. They're 50 cents plus the penny that will be pressed and there are machines all over.

Check out the shows.

AK has a dance party with character meet and greets.

The country pavilions in Epcot have lots of interesting things to look at, shops to explore, and the fun kidcot stations where she can do a coloring activity and get stamps for a passport (either buy one there or you can make your own- ideas on Pinterest).

Also in Epcot, there are activities/play areas at the end of the Journey into Imagination ride with a light up carpet and some sciency related activities. The Seas pavilion is also fun to explore and see all the sea creatures.

AK has lots of fun trails to explore with animals and they also have a small petting zoo area.

It costs money, but maybe consider an appt at BBB for her to get a princess makeover. There's also a Mermaid/Pirate makeover experience in MK that's cheaper.

Character meet and greets and shows are also great to do when everyone else is riding rides, as long as the rest of the group doesn't mind missing out on that.

Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom and Pirate's Adventure are both amazing!

The Epcot Kidcot stations and AL Wilderness Explorer programs are fun for that age too.

There’s so much to look at, take in and experience that you could spend a whole day having fun in a park and never touch a ride. All of the above recommendations are great but I think that even the “wimpiest” child will enjoy most Disney rides and attractions. And there’s always all the amazing shows, impromptu roaming entertainment, parades, etc. that Disney does do well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter