Cooking chicken breasts in crock pot?

ryan840

DIS Veteran
Hi. I've never posted on this board but I have a quick question for you all: how long and on what setting should I cook frozen chicken breasts in a crockpot? Thanks!

I cook frozen chicken breasts (with skin and bones) in the crock on LOW for 10-12 hrs, but I'm sure 8 hrs on low would suffice. The recipe books all say to add a bit more liquid to your dish when using frozen meat. My recommendation for chicken breasts is to add 1/4 to 1/2 c. of wine, to retain moisture.

What type of recipe are you using?

I usually cook them for about 8 hours but my crock pot has an auto setting that starts out at a higher temp that helps them thaw then automatically goes to low later in the cooking so I don't know if that affects the time or not. I usually put some liquid in with them when I cook them either mushroom soup, spagetti sauce, chicken stock, what ever fits with what I am making.

Thanks for the replies. I'm using my own concoction- pineapple juice, olive oil, basil, salt and pepper (delish!) to cook them in, and skinless/boneless chicken breasts (the flash frozen kind, rather large). Then I'll BBQ them under the broiler when my friends get here. I'll plan on 9 hours on low to be safe and take it from there- sound like a good idea?

That should be fine. Just make sure your chicken is completely covered in liquid. The first time I did boneless, skinless breasts in the crock, they turned out so dry. I thought that maybe using more liquid would help. The best solution for that was as I posted above, adding some sort of alcohol (wine or beer). Actually, if anyone has a different solution for dry breasts, I'll try it out too! LOL

I found this on Rival's website:

Cooking with Frozen Foods
You can cook frozen meats in your Crock-Pot® slow cooker, however it is best to use the following guidelines:

• Add at least 1 cup of warm liquid to the stoneware before placing meat in the stoneware.

• Do not preheat the slow cooker.

• Cook recipes containing frozen meats for an additional 4 to 6 hours on Low, or an additional
2 hours on High.

Ok, so I don't really do that, I just add extra liquid, but you know, fyi...

Let us know how it turns out! :)

Just wanted to say thanks again for the replies and that I still haven't tried it :rolleyes: because my friends got sick and couldn't come over. Now I know though, and definately plan on using it while I'm recovering from this baby!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter