CONSIDERING TRIP-PLEASE SHARE YOUR KNOWLEDGE

barkley

DIS Veteran<br><font color=orange>If I ever have a
please educate me. we are considering taking our first looooong vacation in years let alone to florida. we are kind of done out on disney. we've done universal one or two days before as an add on but would like to do an actual planned trip to stay there. i've read through threads, have the 'unofficial guide 2019' on order and want to get my brain started w/understanding the nuances of universal. here are some questions i hope you will be kind enough to answer/comment on so i have a jumping off point.

HOTEL-
* it seems better to book hotel/tickets separately vs. doing any kind of bundled package on their site-yes or no?

* is it better to book hotels through universal site :-)crazy2:Pretty user unfriendly from what i've seen) or directly? directly through individual hotel or their independent websites?

*it seems the advantage w/higher level hotels is express pass, any other advantages?

*ideally w/need separate bedrooms, and the non insanely priced suites i've seen on-line look to either be something w/a curtain between the main room/tiny child's area, or a tiny (twin beds) child's room adjacent to traditional hotel room w/bed. any suggestions on suites or is it possible to do 2 rooms adjacent w/a connecting door (we had a disabled adult son and we need interior access to both rooms) at any of the hotels?

*any pros/cons to individual hotels other than just individual taste? any a bit quieter (less screaming kids/drunk adults running down the halls?)?

*do all rooms/suites have fridges-and are they traditional small fridge or one of those half sized ones that barley hold 2 to-go containers? are they empty or filled w/overpriced stuff you either have to pay to have empty on arrival (or empty and stow yourself to refill on checkout)? microwaves-any rooms have them, if not are they available for rent/how much per day? any of the non higher level hotels have anything resembling tiny kitchenette area and larger room w/some seating (possible to do one like this and a single attached room?)? i know that would eliminate included express pass but we would go at lowest attendance period on their calendars so the lower lodging cost could offset adding express pass if we determined a need for it on individual days (it can be added as needed each day-correct?).

*do guests at universal properties have pool hopping privileges?

*thought i read somewhere that you can book at a/p rates PRIOR to purchasing a/p (just need to have in hand at check in)? yes/no? do you just need to keep checking the website frequently for these and do these have to be purchased through the website or can you still book w/it directly w/hotels?

PASSES-
*better to buy from universal site or undercover tourist (or other source)?

*at how many days continuous visit is it advantageous to buy a/p vs. more multi days?

*does a/p offer any advantages other than hotel discount to someone who won't return w/in the period of use? is express pass included? if not can it be added individual days/what cost?

TRANSPORTATION-
*not renting a car so what is available to/from orlando airport? aprox. price? grocery stop? any shuttle services if we wanted to go off property? cost?

*on site what is available between hotels, parks, city walk? how is the running time of each (it's been years since we used disney's on-site buses but they took forever to go the shortest distance)?

MISC-
*is there a way to find out if any big/group events are going on that could impact crowds during a specific time frame?

*is there an advantage to using amex vs. comparable or better points credit cards to book (keep seeing their ads on the website)?

*what exactly is hogwarts express? is it a ride to/from one park to another and if so can you disembark at each end?

thanks in advance, it's been YEARS since we've been to orlando and only ever spent a day or 2 visiting universal so never had to time to leisurely enjoy it. to travel this distance we would likely have at least 6 park days.

Hey there! I can only answer a couple of your questions but I know folks will chime in soon on the rest:

I have only ever purchased Universal tickets through UT and have had great experience with them. They often run specials like 2 days plus an extra day for free that offer great savings. The only downside is you get an e-ticket that you have to print, so you're responsible for carrying around a letter-sized piece of paper for your entire trip. But I've never had any problem with mine.

*what exactly is hogwarts express? is it a ride to/from one park to another and if so can you disembark at each end?
Yes to both! It's a themed train ride that takes you between parks with the intent of being park-to-park transportation. Sometimes it's faster just to go out the main exit and walk over to the other park, but for Potter fans it's a neat experience and it's different both ways. Plus the queues are very well-themed on both sides.

* it seems better to book hotel/tickets separately vs. doing any kind of bundled package on their site-yes or no?
Yes, book separately.

* is it better to book hotels through universal site or directly? directly through individual hotel or their independent websites?

I don't think there is any difference between booking on Universal site or Loews. They have the same prices and availability each time I've checked.

*it seems the advantage w/higher level hotels is express pass, any other advantages?

Closer to the parks, water taxis, larger rooms, courtesy van between resorts.

*microwaves-any rooms have them, if not are they available for rent/how much per day? any of the non higher level hotels have anything resembling tiny kitchenette area and larger room w/some seating (possible to do one like this and a single attached room?)? i know that would eliminate included express pass but we would go at lowest attendance period on their calendars so the lower lodging cost could offset adding express pass if we determined a need for it on individual days (it can be added as needed each day-correct?).

Universal site says you can add a microwave (pending availability) for $15 per day. Cabana Bay offers family suites with kitchenettes. You can add EP for each day if needed, but it is pretty expensive. If you're going more than a few days in a not-ridiculously-busy time, you can do without the EP with good planning. It'd be nice to have, but it isn't always in the budget.

Yes

*thought i read somewhere that you can book at a/p rates PRIOR to purchasing a/p (just need to have in hand at check in)? yes/no? do you just need to keep checking the website frequently for these and do these have to be purchased through the website or can you still book w/it directly w/hotels?

Yes. This thread has the easiest link to check AP rates: https://www.disboards.com/threads/aph-rates-are-currently-available-updated-07-27-18.3301532/

PASSES *better to buy from universal site or undercover tourist (or other source)?
For multi-day tickets, probably UT or some such. Wait for a good deal. If you're planning to upgrade tickets for APs, note that promo tickets (ie, buy 2 days get 2 days free) would be valued as 2 day tickets towards the upgrade.

*at how many days continuous visit is it advantageous to buy a/p vs. more multi days?

Usually 3-4 park to park days. The only disadvantage of APs is the blackout dates. If they aren't a factor, APs are cheaper for longer trips.

*does a/p offer any advantages other than hotel discount to someone who won't return w/in the period of use?

The higher level of passes have discounts, check out Universal's website for specifics. If driving, some also offer reduced or free parking. is express pass included? The highest level pass offers EP one time per ride after 4pm.

*on site what is available between hotels, parks, city walk?
Everything is close enough to be walkable, depending on whether you want to walk. The 3 deluxe hotels (HRH, PBH, RPR) and Sapphire Falls offer boats to the parks / City Walk (I believe they drop off at City Walk, which is a 2min walk to either park). The other hotels offer continuous shuttle buses. I haven't used the buses but am given to understand that they are pretty much 5min or less wait (usually, one bus waiting when the other pulls away).

Hi I think all 3 previous posters did a great job and covered everything. I agree with each one of their posts.

Have a nice trip!

You can swap this for an actual credit-card size ticket at guest services. I would recommend doing so, for ease of carrying it around multiple days.
Oh no way?! That's awesome! Filing that away for next time.

You can swap this for an actual credit-card size ticket at guest services. I would recommend doing so, for ease of carrying it around multiple days.

Maybe a dumb question, but is this done at Guest Services in the park or can it be done at an on-site resort?

I would guess you could do it wherever they sell tickets onsite. I did it inside IoA.

Not much more I can add here as the other posters nailed it

I stay at the premier hotels as they are closer to city walk and parks
Also those hotels have 24 hour service for most requests

Early morning or late night room service for food
Charges do apply

Let us know if you have more questions
Always someone on the boards will help answer and guide you

Yes. We've done it both ways, but it's much easier to do them separately.

* is it better to book hotels through universal site :-)crazy2:Pretty user unfriendly from what i've seen) or directly? directly through individual hotel or their independent websites?

I like to book directly through the hotel's website. Sometimes I find better rates on there and it is more user friendly.

They're closer to the parks, have water taxis, some of them have really good restaurants too.

*ideally w/need separate bedrooms, and the non insanely priced suites i've seen on-line look to either be something w/a curtain between the main room/tiny child's area, or a tiny (twin beds) child's room adjacent to traditional hotel room w/bed. any suggestions on suites or is it possible to do 2 rooms adjacent w/a connecting door (we had a disabled adult son and we need interior access to both rooms) at any of the hotels?

I don't have any experience with this but I know Cabana Bay has pretty well priced suites.

*any pros/cons to individual hotels other than just individual taste? any a bit quieter (less screaming kids/drunk adults running down the halls?)?

I've honestly never experienced much noise in any of the Universal hotels, and I think a lot of it is individual preference; but I've stayed at them all except Aventura so I'll try to give my pros and cons.

Cabana Bay: Pros-Has suites, good prices, close to Volcano Bay, much nicer than any of the values I've stayed at in Disney, cute retro theming, has a bowling alley on property, pretty decent food choices, buses come quickly, has a lazy river if you want to swim.
Cons-They have water park view rooms that look cool, but I've heard they're super noisy from the sound effects at the park, farthest away, buses drop you off farthest from the parks, water taxis are definitely a better way to get to and from the parks, no EP, I didn't think the food was the greatest.

Sapphire Falls: Pros-Well priced, has a water taxi, really pretty, I've heard Strongwater Tavern is good, I've heard they've added a minions character meal if you're interested in character meals.
Cons-No EP, they only have expensive suites, I didn't love the food at Amatista Cookhouse, I wouldn't walk from there to the parks.

Royal Pacific: Pros-EP, I think the rooms are very nice and they were recently refurbished, walking distance to parks, has water taxis, Jake's has good food, Islands has a good breakfast, I find this resort very peaceful and nice I think it's our favorite, usually the cheapest of the EP hotels.
Cons-Not always the cheapest choice, I also think they only have expensive suites, but honestly there isn't much I dislike about this hotel.

Hard Rock: Pros-The rock n roll theming is cool, EP, The Kitchen is a good place to eat, closest walking distance to the parks, has a water taxi.
Cons-Often pricey, doesn't have a ton of dining choices at the hotel (The Palm is a steakhouse which again isn't really somewhere you'd go more than once a trip if at all), we thought the room decor was a little cheesy, the theme doesn't appeal to everyone.

Portofino Bay: Pros-Really pretty hotel, lots of places to eat, gorgeous pools, EP, lots of little shops, bathrooms in the rooms are quite large, we stayed ground floor last time and still didn't really hear any noise, walkable to the parks, sometimes you can get this hotel for a good price too, water taxi.
Cons-A weird thing is they don't have their own onsite laundry facility so you have to go to Hard Rock to do your laundry, 2 of the restaurants are pricier Italian restaurants (not really an everyday place to eat), I don't love the food at their QS, rooms are a bit dated but still nice, furthest EP hotel from the parks, often pricey.

Aventura (from what I've heard or seen from being in common areas):
Pros-Good price, great views especially from the rooftop but I assume the rooms too, creative QS options, modern room design (can control tv and room temps with ipad etc), close to hotel with water taxi, easily walkable to the water park.
Cons-Some people think the theming is kind of stark, not walkable to parks (well it would take awhile) or you can take the bus, no EP, no sit down restaurant.

They are currently building a hotel that I think is opening this year that is cheaper and mostly suites I believe, but it's down the road from Universal (which would make it the farthest away) and you'd definitely have to bus there. I assume it wouldn't be too bad of a ride. Obviously no EP, but the prices are even cheaper than Cabana Bay and Aventura. (Not sure when in the year you're going), but you could look into those too.

*do all rooms/suites have fridges-and are they traditional small fridge or one of those half sized ones that barley hold 2 to-go containers? are they empty or filled w/overpriced stuff you either have to pay to have empty on arrival (or empty and stow yourself to refill on checkout)? microwaves-any rooms have them, if not are they available for rent/how much per day? any of the non higher level hotels have anything resembling tiny kitchenette area and larger room w/some seating (possible to do one like this and a single attached room?)? i know that would eliminate included express pass but we would go at lowest attendance period on their calendars so the lower lodging cost could offset adding express pass if we determined a need for it on individual days (it can be added as needed each day-correct?).

I can't remember if every room we've had has had a fridge. (A few years ago I remember our room not having it, but this year I'm pretty sure all our rooms did). They are smaller, but I think you can fit quite a bit in them. I don't think there's anything already in them. I've never had a room with a microwave but I'm sure you could request them. Online I see that they're available for a fee, but I'm not sure how much that fee is. I think Cabana Bay has suites with kitchenettes in them (not sure about any of the others). It's possible if the price were cheap enough it could...but honestly you may not need it if you're going in the off season. If you have multiple people and want to buy it for multiple days it wouldn't offset the cost. (Say a deluxe room is like $300 a night and has EP and a non deluxe is $150, but you have to spend 80-100 per person a pass each day).

Yes.

Yes, you can. I did it before I activated mine a couple years back. You can still book directly with the hotels, the code is APH. Anyone can search it and book it, but you have to have a pass when you go there. I also like to check back in periodically with my booking in case a better deal becomes available. I often find some good deals 2 weeks-1 month ahead of our trip, but I like to book something before then to make sure we have a room. If you're going in Sep or Oct make sure to get a hotel room early because of the Horror Nights crowds that book hotels pretty far in advance.

I've used Undercover Tourist for all my Disney tickets when I didn't have an AP so I'd definitely recommend using them if the discount is significant. If not, I'd just get them from Universal.

They're doing a deal with the passes where you get 6 months free right now, and so the preferred 2 park pass we have is a better deal than even buying 2 days of park to park tickets. (We've had a pass for 3 years and pay monthly but even when it's full price it's only a couple days until you break even). The pass is a good value in my opinion. We probably spend over 10 days a year at the parks for less than $400.

*does a/p offer any advantages other than hotel discount to someone who won't return w/in the period of use? is express pass included? if not can it be added individual days/what cost?

You get discounts at some of the restaurants (mostly on Citywalk or in parks, and a few in the hotels), and merchandise.

*not renting a car so what is available to/from orlando airport? aprox. price? grocery stop? any shuttle services if we wanted to go off property? cost?

We always take Uber or Lyft. It's about $30ish. I'm not sure about making stops in an Uber/Lyft, but you could take one to a grocery store, I'm sure there's one kind of close so it wouldn't be a lot. I'd take Uber/Lyft when going off property too. You'll spend a lot less than a rental, taxi, or shuttle service. (Uber/Lyft might be harder with a bigger family, but I do think they have bigger size vehicles they just cost more. How much more and if it would be worth it I'm not sure but in our experience that's usually the cheapest option). If you want to go farther than a half hour or 45 mins outside the area though I'd recommend renting a car for at least a day.

*on site what is available between hotels, parks, city walk? how is the running time of each (it's been years since we used disney's on-site buses but they took forever to go the shortest distance)?

The good news is everything at Universal is pretty close together. The parks are walkable from each other or with the park to park ticket you can take the Hogwarts Express between them. Citywalk is walkable from the parks and most hotels (basically it's all next to each other, Citywalk is right outside the parks). If you're going from hotel to hotel taking a water taxi to Citywalk, then another to the hotel might be closest, most are walking distance to each other too. The 3 with express have a car you can take between hotels (free except for tip).

Hard Rock-Closest walk to the parks, I'd say 5-7 mins. Has a water taxi too they run every 20 mins I think for all hotels, and are generally a quick and pleasant way to get around. Much better than Disney buses. Plus it's all next to each other so there isn't different ones going different places. They will stop if there's a storm though and then walking or taking a bus at the front of Citywalk would be your options.
Portofino Bay-3rd closest about a 10-15 min walk. Also has a water taxi.
Royal Pacific-2nd closest maybe like a 7-10 min walk. Also has a water taxi.
Sapphire Falls-Has a water taxi.
Cabana Bay-Has a bus. Bus drops you off at the entrance to Citywalk. (I don't love this, but it's not bad and we never had a problem with the buses when we stayed there). If you do the water park this hotel is walking distance from that.
Aventura-Has a bus, also walking distance from the water parks. Right across from Sapphire Falls so you could walk over and use their water taxi.

*is there a way to find out if any big/group events are going on that could impact crowds during a specific time frame?

I guess just by googling it and seeing if people are talking about it on here. I'm not sure if this changes every year, but for instance we noticed a lot of cheer groups in early May. I know they have events that make the parks more crowded especially during the events. (Grad Nights, the Rock the Universe concert, Mardi Gras weekend concerts, weekends during Horror Nights).

*is there an advantage to using amex vs. comparable or better points credit cards to book (keep seeing their ads on the website)?

I think sometimes they have offers to get more points if you book things at Universal etc since they're partners. Idk I have an Amex, but I don't think I've used it to book anything at Universal in awhile. I'm sure if you know how to do it right/find a good offer it's possible you can benefit points-wise or use points to buy something for the trip.

It's both a ride and a way to get between the parks. Yes, you get off at each end.

Great info above. Here are a few points:

You can book the resorts on points through Chase Ultimate Rewards. Chase resently had a really good sign up bonus on some of there credit cards so something to look into.

I’ve been watching AP rates on hotels and they don’t seem to come out until 2 months or less prior to arrival.

I priced all the ticket brokers listed in the Unofficial Guide. There is a buy 2 days get 2 days free deal to use by May 31, 2019. That is the best deal. After May 31, Orlando Ticket connection was cheapest.

It’s an easy walk from RPR and HRH to the parks. Not sure about PBR.

If you have any questions on attractions, search YouTube for Videos. They are a little harder to come by than Disney because Universal is more restrictive about what you can take wi5h you on a ride, but I’ve found a lot of point of view videos. Very helpful with small kids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter