Considering non-Disney timeshare

AnOtHeRdIsNeYfReAk

Self-Proclaimed Super Genius
I know the Disney Vacation Club is not for me. I just don't spend enough time at a resort to justify the cost. I have, however been thinking about the non-Disney timeshares, especially since we spend an equal amount of our time at Universal. The price point for most seems to be a bit lower, while the offsite resorts seem to offer more for the cost (full kitchen, multiple bedrooms). I would like to visit a few, but I don't want to be held "hostage" by these high pressure presentations. How do I weed out the bad apples? A google search shows all sorts of sketchy places. Any suggestions or recommendations?

I can’t help but there are a few on here that own and went through process. Hopefully they’ll see and respond.

I would head over to the tug (Timeshare User Group) forum and website to start in on the education. www.tug2.net and www.tugbbs.com. The forums are free, as is much of the material on the website. Membership is just a few dollars a year and provides access to reviews by fellow tuggers and a few other perks - worthwhile considering the value.

We are very happy with our 2 Orlando timeshares, both purchased retail, total investment $11.61. But, with that said, my best advice for anyone considering purchasing is don't. Timeshare rentals in Orlando at great resorts are easy to come by, inexpensive, and require no commitment. If you don't want to go, you have no annual maintenance fee to pay. I would at least rent for several years until you find a resort you really know you want to own.

I would head over to the tug (Timeshare User Group) forum and website to start in on the education. www.tug2.net and www.tugbbs.com... Timeshare rentals in Orlando at great resorts are easy to come by, inexpensive, and require no commitment... I would at least rent for several years until you find a resort you really know you want to own.
Totally agree with this. TUG is the best resource out there. We've owned multiple timeshares over the last 20+ years and enjoyed a great deal of fun travel with them. What we learned on TUG helped us make the best choices for us.

DVC was the most expensive of our timeshares in both purchase price and annual dues, for what we got. Heeding the advice on TUG, our other timeshares were all purchased as resales for a fraction of the cost from developers. We've since sold all of our timeshares except for our Wyndham points contracts because we found that it fits our family's needs so well. Spend some time on TUG, learn more, read some resort reviews, and rent some timeshare vacation stays. You'll figure out what suits you the best. :)

But for some really nice resorts that are a reasonable drive to both Disney and Universal, look at the established management companies with resorts located very close to Sea World. Examples:

Hilton Grand Vacations Club at Sea World
Marriott Cypress Harbour or Grand Vista
Vistana Villages
The Fountains (by Bluegreen)

There are more but that would be a start. No matter what, avoid any place with Westgate in the name or as the management company. The worst! Skip the timeshare tours; skip the special vacation packages to get you in the door; don't sign anything or commit to anything with anyone. Learn about the resorts from other resources until you are confident from your personal experiences. If you show up at a gated resort and ask to visit the lobby to see the place for a future visit, some places will let you in. At the lobby, ask for a resort map and to just see the main pool area to get a feel for it, but decline to have someone show you around. That someone would be a salesperson. Hope this helps.

Another endorsement for TUG. I’ve recently been spending a lot of time there because I’m acquiring another timeshare from my father, and I’ve learned a tremendous amount.

I know the Disney Vacation Club is not for me. I just don't spend enough time at a resort to justify the cost. I have, however been thinking about the non-Disney timeshares, especially since we spend an equal amount of our time at Universal. The price point for most seems to be a bit lower, while the offsite resorts seem to offer more for the cost (full kitchen, multiple bedrooms). I would like to visit a few, but I don't want to be held "hostage" by these high pressure presentations. How do I weed out the bad apples? A google search shows all sorts of sketchy places. Any suggestions or recommendations?

Timesharing is complex. For example, if your main goal is visits to Orlando, it could be a bad idea to buy one there. Why? Because it may limit where you can stay.

I would suggest renting a few stays before buying anything. Renting a timeshare is a great deal. You can find them on ebay and tugbbs, among other places. And when you rent, you don't have to go the sales pitch, no matter what they try to lure you with when you check in.

You could try out timeshares without buying one by renting from Condo Direct or Endless Vacation Rentals. You won’t see Marriott or Hilton’s high end vacation clubs for rent on these sites, but you will see quite a few timeshare brands for rent on these two sites (they are outlets of the two big timeshare exchange companies - RCI and Interval International).

I would head over to the tug (Timeshare User Group) forum and website to start in on the education. www.tug2.net and www.tugbbs.com. The forums are free, as is much of the material on the website. Membership is just a few dollars a year and provides access to reviews by fellow tuggers and a few other perks - worthwhile considering the value.

We are very happy with our 2 Orlando timeshares, both purchased retail, total investment $11.61. But, with that said, my best advice for anyone considering purchasing is don't. Timeshare rentals in Orlando at great resorts are easy to come by, inexpensive, and require no commitment. If you don't want to go, you have no annual maintenance fee to pay. I would at least rent for several years until you find a resort you really know you want to own.

I am also a member of TUG and I dont know what I would have done without them. Well actually I do know what I would done...I would have purchased from the developer instead of retail and been up to my neck in maintenance fees and extra hassle. Yes there are still some timeshares out there for sale for $1. But, I highly recommend renting a timeshare from an owner and not purchasing. Renting allows you more options to visit various resorts in the area. You are not obligated to paying maintenance fees for the year(s) you don't travel. Thank goodness for TUG teaching me all the ins and outs of timesharing. TUG is definitely place to start when you have questions or need guidance.

But for some really nice resorts that are a reasonable drive to both Disney and Universal, look at the established management companies with resorts located very close to Sea World. Examples:

Vistana Villages

There are more but that would be a start. No matter what, avoid any place with Westgate in the name or as the management company. The worst! Skip the timeshare tours; skip the special vacation packages to get you in the door; don't sign anything or commit to anything with anyone. Learn about the resorts from other resources until you are confident from your personal experiences. If you show up at a gated resort and ask to visit the lobby to see the place for a future visit, some places will let you in. At the lobby, ask for a resort map and to just see the main pool area to get a feel for it, but decline to have someone show you around. That someone would be a salesperson. Hope this helps.

I would like to 'add' here that Westgate is the WORST for owners but not bad at all to rent from an owner because you dont have to do a tour or presentation. Westgate in my opinion has the BEST activities on-site for days in which you are not visiting a park. Westgate is one of those resorts which can keep your kids entertained daily. There is always a party/activity going on at one or two of 13 pools, not to mention the onsite Waterpark. But as far as sales and a sales pitch they are indeed the WORST. Avoid the sales staff by any means necessary. They have the worst reputation for lying and scheming so I do not recommend buying a timeshare from them at all. But Westgate Vacation Villas/Town Center is a favorite for their grounds and on-site activities for kids.

I recommend becoming a member of TUG to learn all about timesharing. I also recommend using REDWEEK to rent a timeshare. Both TUG and REDWEEK have an annual membership fee in order to buy or rent a timeshare. However, its well worth it for the time and money saved.

I just want to agree with what others have said -- especially the suggestion NOT to buy any timeshare if your primary vacations will be in the Orlando area. It's just too easy to rent a timeshare in the Orlando area -- no need to own.

We are former owners of both DVC and Wyndham. We liked both for a while, but got rid of both of them.

If you DO decide to buy a timeshare, you will have to do very careful research to know exactly what you are getting into.

And also be aware that the company can completely change the rules with minimal notice. If they do, all of the reasons you purchased that particular timeshare can go away overnight. You buy one thing, and a couple of years later, it could be a completely different and much more limited system than you thought you bought.

Vistana Villages

I would rent, as Lisa pointed out the above resorts would be excellent resorts to rent into. I would also put Hilton VC Tuscany village on that list.

Another vote for TUG membership!!
We were gifted a timeshare 20+ years ago by my in-laws at Lake of the Ozarks MO. We live a couple hours from there, and used it quite a bit before kids, and when kids were younger. Our week has increased in trade power-first week of May- to be a "red" week. We have a 3 bed 2.5 bath "treehouse" villa (like the kind at SSR-only ours has an upstairs loft and full bed/bath in the downstairs, in addition to main floor MBR-but the outside style is similar). We belong to II to trade the unit now that we don't use that week as much (plus my MiL moved to the lake years ago so we just stay with her). We've used it to trade to Cayman islands, texas, and Orlando many many times. Our maintenance fees are <$400/year, and we trade into Marriotts easily, but without the higher MF of owning a Marriott TS. When you find gems like what we lucked into, owning a TS can be great. HOWEVER you can often rent from an owner for far less than the yearly maintenance fees, AND you aren't locked into yearly MF in case you do not want to vacation that way some years.

As far as Westgate (or "Wastegate")-their high pressure tactics aren't limited to Orlando...friends did a tour in Las Vegas last week and they thought they were going to have to fake a heart attack to get away!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter