Connecting to the internet

Kurby

All the adversity I've had in my life, all my trou
We are planning on getting a lap top pretty soon and will be bringing it down on our trips.

we aren't planning on using it at home to connect to the internet because we have a desk top but had thought we could check emails while down there (have my own business and would need to check once and a while).

do i have to use our current providers dial up number and pay through the nose (Canadian roaming rates) or does Disney provide free internet connections in the DVC rooms?

do i have to have something installed in the laptop?

how does it all work?

thanks.

We still have dial-up (yuck). When we go to WDW, our ISP gives us local (Orlando) numbers to use to access the internet on our laptop. We just pay the local call (35 cents I think) for each time we access the internet. At the end of our stay, we rarely have more than $3 worth of calls. I hope your ISP gives you local numbers. I am not familiar with the high speed connections, but I am sure someone else will chime in.

They have wired internet in the rooms, but it's $9.95 per 24 hour period. I used it a couple of weeks ago, it was faster than when I used it last fall. I stretched out using it so that I didn't pay everyday (pay for it one day then not use it after it ran out for the next day). The laptop must have an eternet card and port. The cable is provided, it's in the closet. There is a card with instructions and a help #. I had to call when I first signed on, they had to reset the modem. I don't know if it was because of that, but I did not have to pay for the first day, the billing screen did not come up until the next morning.

We use dial up for our laptop at WDW because it's cheaper and we just check emails and the Dis:goodvibes

I just pay for the month we need it thru AOL or NetZero etc and then we take a long phone cord and connect using a local number. You can confirm a local number from the front desk.

We normally stay 2 weeks at a time, so $10 a day would really add up and this way costs us less than $30.

You shouldnt need any additional equipment for a dial up connection. Your laptop already has a modem but a phone cord and extension cord will allow you to sit on the balcony and surf:surfweb:

You would need to have an ethernet port to use the broadband connection from your villa - most new laptops will have that and also a built-in wireless card.

We usually use dialup when at WDW - especially if you're mainly wanting to check email. I'd suggest a free Netzero account (which has several good access numbers local at WDW- there is a chart in the front of the room ohine book giving a list of the prefixes local for WDW) or budgetdialup.com which also has good local access numbers and is a prepaid ISP with very reasonable pricing.

We use dial up for our laptop at WDW because it's cheaper and we just check emails and the Dis

You check the Dis boards while at WDW??? How sick is that!!! Me too!:rotfl2:

Funny, I thought for sure that I was the only one left in the world who used dial-up at WDW. Who knew?:confused3

We usually hook up to the inroom highspeed, but only do it every other day. That works well for us. If you start it in the morning of one day, you still have it unitl that same time the next morning, and then we just wait until the following morning to do it again. It works out cheaper that way. Of course, DH can do it free through his cell modem, but he is usually on that himself, so I need to do the WDW stuff on my laptop.

DH and I each have a business (how nut is that!) and we use the high speed also. The every other day strategy works pretty well for us, also, unless there is some kind of client crisis (it happens) that requires closer watching. We leave the computers on in our respective offices and use GoToMyPC to bring up the office computer right on the laptop. You probably know this if you have a business, the cost of using the Internet to work or get work emails, etc is a tax deductible expense to the business. You still have to pay it, but it's a bit less painful if you can charge it to a business expense.

If you have an unlimited access data package on your cell phone plan, you may be able to use your sync cable and 'tether' your phone to your laptop. Your phone acts as a modem and you can surf the internet on your laptop.

I'm not sure but I think Orlando has EVDO which is a fairly speedy connection...certainly faster than dial up and no $9.95/day charges.

Enjoy your vacation!

Boardwalk Prof

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter