Confusion about banking and making reservation

rnorwo1

DIS Veteran
Hi,
We have a December use year, which confuses me every time! On our dashboard, it is showing that we have 120 points for Dec 2018, and of course it's showing the points available for 2019. I have until July to bank the 2018 points, correct? I want to make a reservation for May 2020, though, and I will need the 2018 and 2019 points for it. This is what confuses me:

We are going to make the reservation at a non-home resort, so I need to wait until October to make the reservation. Do the 2018 points expire December 2019? If so, then I shouldn't have to bank them to book the reservation with the 2018 and 2019 points in October, correct? Or, will I still have to bank the 2018 points and then borrow them when we book in October? I remember there being something about not being able to borrow once banked, though.

Also, 20 of the points for 2018 were banked from 2017, I guess. Will they expire in July or December? if they do expire in July, should I make a reservation at our home resort now and then try to switch it at the 7-month window? Or would that not save the 20 points anyway?

Thanks for setting me straight!

December 2018 means this is when your points became available. This is the Use Year, from December 1st, 2018 through and until November 30th, 2019.

So, you are in the MIDDLE of your 2018 Use Year, even though, on the Calendar, it is 2019.

On December 1st, 2019, your 2019 Use Year will start, and will carry you through November 30th, 2020. So, if you want to make a reservation for May 2020, that will fall within your 2019 use year, because Dec 1st, 2019 is when those points started.

To make a reservation for May 2020 (which is in your 2019 use year, which has not started yet, but which will be your NEXT Use Year) you can use:

Points banked by July 2019, from the current Use Year, 2018.

Or use, Points from the Use Year in which the reservation falls, which is your December 2019 Use Year, which will start December 2019.

Or, Points borrowed from your 2020 Use Year, which will Start on December 2020.

I know this is easy to get confused. But I hope this straightens things out, a bit.

I had some relatives, last November (2018) who were going to put an offer for a resale contract, because they wanted to travel in 2019. They told me the contract had Full Points for its 2019 use year. I had to point out to them that the 2019 Use Year would not start, until December 2019, more than a year away. They looked at it and realized that even though it was November 2018, the December 2018 Use Year had not started yet, but the points were gone. They made a bid on another contract.

Hi,
We have a December use year, which confuses me every time! On our dashboard, it is showing that we have 120 points for Dec 2018, and of course it's showing the points available for 2019. I have until July to bank the 2018 points, correct? I want to make a reservation for May 2020, though, and I will need the 2018 and 2019 points for it. This is what confuses me:

We are going to make the reservation at a non-home resort, so I need to wait until October to make the reservation. Do the 2018 points expire December 2019? If so, then I shouldn't have to bank them to book the reservation with the 2018 and 2019 points in October, correct? Or, will I still have to bank the 2018 points and then borrow them when we book in October? I remember there being something about not being able to borrow once banked, though.

Also, 20 of the points for 2018 were banked from 2017, I guess. Will they expire in July or December? if they do expire in July, should I make a reservation at our home resort now and then try to switch it at the 7-month window? Or would that not save the 20 points anyway?

Thanks for setting me straight!
And as to the 20 points banked from 2017, they expire Nov. 30, 2019. A reservation using those points must be completed by Dec 1, 2019 (as in, you check out on that day or before).

Maybe I would be as confused with any month, but it seems like December is extra-tricky. So, just to clarify, I will need to bank the 100 points from 2018 by July, will lose the 20 points that were banked, and then, in October, I will book the reservation by using the now banked 2018 points in combination with the 2019 points. I should not need to borrow 2020 points. Does that sound right?

Thank you both for the replies; I called member services and the estimated wait time was 20 minutes. I love this board!

Maybe I would be as confused with any month, but it seems like December is extra-tricky. So, just to clarify, I will need to bank the 100 points from 2018 by July, will lose the 20 points that were banked, and then, in October, I will book the reservation by using the now banked 2018 points in combination with the 2019 points. I should not need to borrow 2020 points. Does that sound right?

Thank you both for the replies; I called member services and the estimated wait time was 20 minutes. I love this board!
You've got the gist of it.

You don't have to lose those 20 points. You could rent them out (plus maybe some 2018 points). The brokers probably still have renters looking for July or August stays. I wouldn't just let them expire. That's too many points to lose.

You've got the gist of it.

You don't have to lose those 20 points. You could rent them out (plus maybe some 2018 points). The brokers probably still have renters looking for July or August stays. I wouldn't just let them expire. That's too many points to lose.
I'll have to look into that pronto. I found myself trying to plan a quick trip to "save" those 20 points; I'll need to get back to the budget board to adjust my thoughts on that "savings"!
Thanks again!

I had a similar circumstance, 15 points left over and getting pretty close to expiring, last summer. I listed them online by myself and rented them out, along with a few more points to make a 1 day reservation that someone wanted. In my ad, I told people that they would need to be used right away, and that only single nights were available, and then mostly at SSR and OKW. People took them anyway, and used them. I did rent them for about $14 per point.

I had a similar circumstance, 15 points left over and getting pretty close to expiring, last summer. I listed them online by myself and rented them out, along with a few more points to make a 1 day reservation that someone wanted. In my ad, I told people that they would need to be used right away, and that only single nights were available, and then mostly at SSR and OKW. People took them anyway, and used them. I did rent them for about $14 per point.
It always seems people run out of points and want to stay another day or arrive a day early. Prices on flight can change drastically for just one day difference. This is good for folks who have a few points that they can use. These forums are great for helping out other members and save them a few buck over buying one time use points from DVC.

Last edited:
I’m tagging onto this thread instead of starting a new one. If you see a resale listing with 0/0/160 for 18/19/20 with a December use year, that means the next time points will be added is 12/01/2020 right?

I’m tagging onto this thread instead of starting a new one. If you see a resale listing with 0/0/160 for 18/19/20 with a December use year, that means the next time points will be added is 12/01/2020 right?

Correct, or I believe you could borrow them starting 12/01/2019.

Silly question time wise but what happens to 2056 points at AKV for a December use year. Do you literally have 60 days to use them unless borrowed for the previous year?

Assuming that you are allowed to borrow them, yes.

Otherwise, you could only use them for a stay in December or January.

Silly question time wise but what happens to 2056 points at AKV for a December use year. Do you literally have 60 days to use them unless borrowed for the previous year?
Assuming that you are allowed to borrow them, yes.

Otherwise, you could only use them for a stay in December or January.

The truth is that no one really knows what the rules and restrictions will be when resorts come to the end of their “DVC life.” Speculation is that there will be restrictions on banking and borrowing possibly beginning a year or more before the end, but the specifics are unknown. I just hope to be around to find out!

We own three Dec. UY contracts and for the first time I'm struggling with this UY. Nov. 2020 we'd still be in our 2019 UY. Nov. 2020 may be out of the question if we cannot borrow a few points from 2021. Would it be permissible to use 2021 points in Nov. 2020 for Dec. UY?

We own three Dec. UY contracts and for the first time I'm struggling with this UY. Nov. 2020 we'd still be in our 2019 UY. Nov. 2020 may be out of the question if we cannot borrow a few points from 2021. Would it be permissible to use 2021 points in Nov. 2020 for Dec. UY?
No. November 2020 falls in your December 2019 UY. You cannot borrow December 2021 points into your December 2019 UY.

Sadly, no. November 2020 falls within your 2019 use year (which is valid for stays 12/1/2019 - 11/30/2020). You may only borrow points from one use year ahead, and with a December use year, that would be your 2020 use year (12/1/2020-11/30/2021). If you don't have enough points, you'll have to come up with other options for that trip.

Remember that you can buy up to 24 one time use points, but only at 7 months. In the past we've booked what we could at 11 months and then waited (holding our breath) for the 7 month window to open and then called MS to buy the OTU points and book the rest. Or you might be able to get a transfer from another member - if same UY and same resort you'll be able to see them in your account and book online, otherwise you'll have to call MS to use them but if same resort you can use at 11 months.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter