Confused! Have never used a placeholder!

Outrageous Crew

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone! I know, I know-- we have been on 11 Disney Cruises, and nope, always booked on board. So, here are my questions. Would like to book the Baltic Cruise for July and get a GTY room and use Costco to get our cash back savings. Where do I begin? Do I call Disney and book the GTY and then transfer to Costco? HELP!!! Thanks in advance!!!!

When did you buy the placeholder? If it is more than 30 days ago, then it can't be transferred, unfortunately, so you won't be able to use Costco for this cruise. In that case, just call Disney and say you want to use your placeholder reservation. If it has been less than 30 days since you purchased the placeholder--call and transfer it to Costco ASAP, and then book the cruise through them.

You say a “GTY” — if you mean one of the last minutes discounted *GT cruises, you can’t use a placeholder on IGT/OGT/VGT offers. If it’s a regular GTY (like 7A GTY) that is regular priced, just call DCL and tell them you want to use your placeholder. If the placeholder was made less than 30 days ago, you can transfer it to Costco before booking the date.

Enjoy your cruise!

You say a “GTY” — if you mean one of the last minutes discounted *GT cruises, you can’t use a placeholder on IGT/OGT/VGT offers. If it’s a regular GTY (like 7A GTY) that is regular priced, just call DCL and tell them you want to use your placeholder. If the placeholder was made less than 30 days ago, you can transfer it to Costco before booking the date.

Enjoy your cruise!
Thanks!!!! Yes, it's a regular GTY... and bummer, the placeholder was purchased more than 30 days ago. So, with the placeholder I can get an onboard credit.. and a 10% discount? OR just the onboard credit??? Sorry, I'm an airhead about this!!!

The placeholder allows for:
  • 10% discount off the cruise fare
  • OBC of $200 for cruises 7+ nights or $100 shorter cruises
  • Reduced deposit (10% instead of standard 20%) for cruises of 7+ nights deposit will be minus the $250 placeholder fee
Cannot be used on Concierge bookings, blackout dates, or special offers. Must embark cruise within 24 months of the date placeholder was made.

Enjoy your cruise!

Fabulous news.. and bummer I can't double dip with Costco. Mental note for next time to decide what I am doing within 30 days!!! But to tell you the truth, we really didn't know which Disney Cruise we wanted until now, so it all works out!! Thanks for all of your help!! Happy Cruising Everyone!!!!

Fabulous news.. and bummer I can't double dip with Costco. Mental note for next time to decide what I am doing within 30 days!!! But to tell you the truth, we really didn't know which Disney Cruise we wanted until now, so it all works out!! Thanks for all of your help!! Happy Cruising Everyone!!!!
I'm not sure, but I think you can transfer the placeholder to Costco, without a specific date. I could be wrong on that......

Yes, you can transfer the placeholder to Costco, but it's really about doing the paperwork for the transfer. They don't actually have a cruise to put into the system until you book something. But the important thing that Costco submits the paperwork so the cruise placeholder is earmarked on the Disney system as belonging to Costco. Then, when you want to book, you call Costco, give them your placeholder number and ask them to book it for you. It then is put into the Costco system as a cruise and you can track it on your Costco account.

Can I ask a placeholder question too? If I book a fall 2019 cruise with my placeholder when those dates are released, but decide we would actually prefer early 2020 dates when they are released, can we switch and keep the placeholder benefits? Or is it a one and done deal?

I want to get in on the release date prices if possible, but we don’t know yet which timeframe will be better. Thanks!

Can I ask a placeholder question too? If I book a fall 2019 cruise with my placeholder when those dates are released, but decide we would actually prefer early 2020 dates when they are released, can we switch and keep the placeholder benefits? Or is it a one and done deal?

I want to get in on the release date prices if possible, but we don’t know yet which timeframe will be better. Thanks!
You can change cruise dates. As long as the future cruise you are taking using the OBB perks is within 24 months of the day you made the original booking you retain the benefits.

Borrowing this thread to ask a placeholder questions as well.

The placeholder needs to be used within 24 months of the day: you paid the $250 for the placeholder or the sail date of the cruise you booked the placeholder on or ....?
To be more specific: our cruise leaves June 2, 2018 and I would book the placeholder on June 6th. Then, the cruise I end up taking using that placeholder needs to depart before....???

I've only booked specific cruises on board before, and want to make sure I know my opens of how/when to use the placeholder.

Borrowing this thread to ask a placeholder questions as well.

The placeholder needs to be used within 24 months of the day: you paid the $250 for the placeholder or the sail date of the cruise you booked the placeholder on or ....?
To be more specific: our cruise leaves June 2, 2018 and I would book the placeholder on June 6th. Then, the cruise I end up taking using that placeholder needs to depart before....???

I've only booked specific cruises on board before, and want to make sure I know my opens of how/when to use the placeholder.
24 months from the day you gave DCL the money to book the placeholder. Here's a link that's real helpful:
http://disneycruiselineblog.com/cruise-planning/onboard-booking-benefits-expiration-date-calculator/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter