Confused by WDW accessibility info

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
What's the difference between "Must transfer from ECV to Wheelchair" and "Must transfer from ECV to Wheelchair and Wheelchair to ride". The list has The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh in the first category, "Must transfer from ECV to Wheelchair", which is what I did. But then it has Pirates of the Carribbean in the second category, "Must transfer..to Wheelchair...to ride". I haven't ridden Pirates yet, but from what I've heard, the situation was the same as the Pooh ride. Since it's in a different category, I guess it's different-but how? It also has "Must transfer from ECV to wheelchair" for Buzz Lightyear, which I also haven't ridden yet. How does that happen? I haven't ridden that yet either, and just want to be prepared.

I think that transfer to wheelchair to ride means that you can’t stay in the wheelchair for the ride, whereas transfer to wheelchair means you can stay in the wheelchair for the ride

In that case I would have had the option to stay in the wheelchair throughout the Pooh ride, and I don't remember having that option.

What's the difference between "Must transfer from ECV to Wheelchair" and "Must transfer from ECV to Wheelchair and Wheelchair to ride". The list has The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh in the first category, "Must transfer from ECV to Wheelchair", which is what I did. But then it has Pirates of the Carribbean in the second category, "Must transfer..to Wheelchair...to ride". I haven't ridden Pirates yet, but from what I've heard, the situation was the same as the Pooh ride. Since it's in a different category, I guess it's different-but how? It also has "Must transfer from ECV to wheelchair" for Buzz Lightyear, which I also haven't ridden yet. How does that happen? I haven't ridden that yet either, and just want to be prepared.
Must transfer from ECV to wheelchair is where you can stay on your wheelchair for the ride must transfer from ECV too wheelchair too ride must transfer to a wheelchair for the line and then at the ride you must transfer to the wheelchair to the ride it self

I know, I was confused when I first started using my mobility scooter and riding attractions like MK's Pirates of the Caribbean. I would have to park my mobility scooter and use my cane to go through the queue which was very long for me over the years. I couldn't roll myself by my myself up the steeper queues so I gave up riding that attraction. I usually travel by myself without help.

I'll have to try it again in May 2019 with my new electric wheelchair.

I suppose that they have a way of moving my electric wheelchair to the other side of the water and boats to exit. I still would use my cane and whatever else I can hold onto for balance stepping in and out of the boat.

Last December 2019, I was able to use my wheelchair on the attractions with the special wheelchair drive on rides which was different for me than having to drive my mobility scooter and parking it after the queue and using my cane to walk onto the attraction ride.

And as a side note, those WDW wheelchairs were always very difficult for me roll by my self. I don't know why I didn't think of using them as a walker up the steep queues and then sitting down to rest or roll myself.

That is what I am going to do on the MK Tom Sawyer Island boat just to visit the flat areas like that fast food covered area and relax from the crowds. They won't allow my electric wheelchair on even though it folds up. I know that speaking for myself, that I can no longer use a cane to walk the steps, etc. But I can at least enjoy something different and people watch.

I think that transfer to wheelchair to ride means that you can’t stay in the wheelchair for the ride, whereas transfer to wheelchair means you can stay in the wheelchair for the ride

Edit to say, OurBigTrip, I agree with you.

Must transfer from ECV to wheelchair is where you can stay on your wheelchair for the ride must transfer from ECV too wheelchair too ride must transfer to a wheelchair for the line and then at the ride you must transfer to the wheelchair to the ride it self

Edit to say, gap2368, I agree with you.

Last edited:
I know, I was confused when I first started using my mobility scooter and riding attractions like MK's Pirates of the Caribbean. I would have to park my mobility scooter and use my cane to go through the queue which was very long for me over the years. I couldn't roll myself by my myself up the steeper queues so I gave up riding that attraction. I usually travel by myself without help.

I suppose that they have a way of moving my electric wheelchair to the other side of the water and boats to exit. I still would use my cane and whatever else I can hold onto for balance stepping in and out of the boat.

Last December 2019, I was able to use my wheelchair on the attractions with the special wheelchair drive on rides which was different for me than having to drive my mobility scooter and parking it after the queue and using my cane to walk onto the attraction ride.

And as a side note, those WDW wheelchairs were always very difficult for me roll by my self. I don't know why I didn't think of using them as a walker up the steep queues and then sitting down to rest or roll myself.

That is what I am going to do on the MK Tom Sawyer Island boat just to visit the flat areas like that fast food covered area and relax from the crowds. They won't allow my electric wheelchair on even though it folds up. I know that speaking for myself, that I can no longer use a cane to walk the steps, etc. But I can at least enjoy something different and people watch.
why did you quote my post?

These are the park map symbols and in general, how to interpret them.

There may be some individual wheelchairs or ECVs that won’t fit. It’s usually because they are larger than the 32 inch wide by 48 inch long space. It can also be weight - especially heavy power wheelchairs where the combined weight of the chair and rider are 700 pounds or more.

Wheelchair symbol = attraction is wheelchair and ECV accessible.
That could mean it’s a show which has spots for wheelchairs and ECVs or that there is an accessible ride car that can accommodate wheelchairs and most ECVs.

Someone getting out of a wheelchair = line is wheelchair and ECV accessible, but all guests must transfer to the ride vehicle

ECV with arrow to wheelchair = attraction has a wheelchair accessible ride vehicle, but the vehicle is not ECV accessible/guests need to transfer to wheelchair to use it.

It can also sometimes mean that there is a wheelchair accessible ride car, but the line is not ECV accessible.

ECV to wheelchair then getting out of wheelchair = line is wheelchair accessible, but not ECV accessible. Guests must transfer from an ECV to a wheelchair and then transfer to the ride vehicle.

You can find pdf versions of the park maps for guests with disabilities here.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/guests-with-disabilities/

F0E5C0AD-C26E-4210-A00A-DD733347A4B2.jpeg
This is the MK map, marked for you.

Green checkmark = accessible to both ECVs and wheelchairs; no transfer required

Yellow checkmark = need to transfer from ECV to wheelchair; there is a wheelchair accessible spot/ vehicle.
The attraction will have a wheelchair you can transfer to.

The train has the symbol for being accessible to both ECVs and wheelchairs without transfer, but most ECV users will either have to transfer to wheelchair or train seat before boarding.

Yellow X = transfer is required, but the seat is about wheelchair seat height, so not that difficult of a transfer.

Haunted Mansion has a moving walkway, which can be stopped or slowed. The CMs try to just slow if possible, but can stop if they need to. Tell each CM you come to what the needs are.
You will be boarding and exiting at the exit after going thru the regular line (or Fastpass line, if you have a Fastpass) and then going thru the Stretching Room; the CM will instruct you where to go as you enter the building and in each room.

Both HM and Big Thunder Railroad have ADA ride vehicles with larger doorways.

Red X = difficult transfer

Splash Mountain has a high side guests must step over and then down into the ride boat. It’s a tight space.

Pirates has a very low boat. Getting in might be OK because you are working with gravity. Getting out is hard - working against gravity. They prefer guests to transfer to an attraction wheelchair because the loading area is in a different building and one floor down.

Tom Sawyer island is not accessible past about 200 feet from the dock. Narrow pathways, stairs, wooden bridges, etc.

F9202962-C0A5-402D-BE78-A6A01E550FD1.jpeg
This is the rest of the MK map, marked for you.

Yellow checkmark = need to transfer from ECV to wheelchair; there is a wheelchair accessible spot/ vehicle.

Small World queue is ECV and wheelchair accessible thru a separate boarding area. Ask at the attraction. You will need to transfer to an attraction wheelchair if you want to use the accessible ramped boat. I have seen guests use that boat to walk on and sit in a seat. I would not recommend it - no rails and seat is fairly low.

Enchanted Tales with Belle USUALLY does not allow ECV users in the building because of space. You can borrow a wheelchair.

Under the Sea Journey with the Little Mermaid line is ECV and wheelchair accessible. If you want to use the accessible ride car, you need to transfer to a wheelchair. Transfer is fairly easy; the seat is close to chair height. The moving walkway can be slowed or stopped.

Buzz Lightyear queue is wheelchair, but not ECV accessible. There is a wheelchair accessible ride car. Moving walkway can be slowed or stopped.

Yellow X = transfer is required, but the seat is about wheelchair seat height, so not that difficult of transfer.

Barnstormer has a tight space.

Dumbo has an ADA car with a wider opening, you would need to request because the CM has to open the side.

Teacups also has an ADA cup, but you need to get over the saucer. They do have a piece that can be placed to bridge the gap.

Seven Dwarfs Mine Train has an ADA car; some people find it a tight fit.

Peter Pan has a spot for wheelchairs to be parked and guests need to be able to walk about 15 feet and get into the pirate ship with the moving walkway, which can only be stopped in emergency. The pirate ship itself has the side open and there is only a small step in. The front of the Pirate ship is not stable to grab.

Tomorrowland Speedway has a low seat. To drive, you need to press the gas peddle very hard (it’s closed now, so not sure if it will change).

Space Mountain is low, tight and there is a limited time to get in and out.

Astro Orbitor has a small elevator to get up to the load/unload area. There is limited amount of space and difficult to climb in.

Tomorrowland Transit Authority station is one floor above ground and is accessed by a very steep moving ramp. It’s made of metal and is quite slippery.

2BEC9C7A-D970-438E-B3D3-139C3078D1F9.jpeg This is the Epcot map, marked for you.

Yellow checkmark = need to transfer from ECV to wheelchair; there is a wheelchair accessible spot/ vehicle. The attraction will have a wheelchair you can transfer to.

Journey Into Imagination With Figment is marked with the wrong symbol. The line is ECV accessible, but the accessible ride car is only wheelchair accessible.

The Seas With Nemo and Friends and Living With the Land are both marked that ECV users must transfer to wheelchair for the queue. I have seen smaller ECVs in the queue, but larger ones not usually. There is a wheelchair accessible ride vehicle for both attractions, but it is not ECV accessible.

Same with Gran Fiesta Tour in Mexico. Ask at the entrance.

Green X = wheelchairs and ECVs allowed to the point of boarding, fairly easy transfer required.

Soarin’ is an easy transfer for most people. The seats are chair height and are kind of like lawn chairs.

Yellow X = transfer is required, but the seat is about wheelchair seat height, so not that difficult of transfer.

Spaceship Earth is semi-difficult. Guests using mobility devices enter and board thru the ride exit ramp. ECVs must be left at the waiting area; wheelchairs csn be brought into the load area if absolutely necessary. There is a moving walkway - they usually try to just slow it, but can stop if necessary. There is an ADA ride car with a wider opening. Talk to the CM at the waiting area to discuss your needs.

Mission Space has 2 versions. Green is very intense and turbulent and the ride uses a centrifuge to simulate/create G forces. The spinning is not constant, but occurs when G forces would be felt in a real space trip.
Orange is less intense; it is on a centrifuge, but does not spin. During the course of the ride, it makes one revolution to reset the ride. Most riders are not aware of the rotation.
Both use the same type ride vehicles, which is a step up and into the ride vehicle, then a slide over to your seat. Wheelchair can be brought up to the ride vehicle. Transfer device the map mentions is a sliding board.

Test Track regular boarding area is a huge step down to the seat of the ride car and then down to the ride seat because the track is recessed at that area, hiding the wheels and part of the car side.

There is a more accessible boarding area where guests can bring their wheelchair right up to the ride vehicle. The track at that area is not recessed, so the whole car is visible. That means instead of stepping down, guests need to climb over the side of the car. It’s similar to climbing into and out of a high sided bathtub.

Frozen Ever After requires a large step over the high side of the boat and then a step into the floor. They do have a transfer device available, which is a transfer step to help get over the side. That MIGHT help with getting in, but because of the high side, getting out is also difficult. The ride track is very bumpy at times and there is a drop.

Ray, like you, I often travel by myself also. When I went to the Pooh ride and they brought out a wheelchair and said I needed to use it, I thought that was the end of my opportunity to ride, since I had no one to push me. But when they found out I was alone, they said it was no problem and a CM pushed me through the queue, then volunteered to wait until I got off the ride and brought me back to my ECV. On my last trip, I asked the CMs in front of Pirates about me traveling solo, when they said I needed to transfer to a wheelchair and be pushed. "No problem", they said, and they sounded sincere.

why did you quote my post?

gap2368, I quoted your post because I agreed with you. I'll edit my post to say that.

I can also edit and delete the quote if you want me, too.

Thank you, Sue, for all of the wonderful info. There have been so many rides that I have not been on in over a decade. Your personal experience and information is wonderful.

I apologize if I offended anyone.

I am going to take a break for a while.

These are the park map symbols and in general, how to interpret them.

There may be some individual wheelchairs or ECVs that won’t fit. It’s usually because they are larger than the 32 inch wide by 48 inch long space. It can also be weight - especially heavy power wheelchairs where the combined weight of the chair and rider are 700 pounds or more.

Wheelchair symbol = attraction is wheelchair and ECV accessible.
That could mean it’s a show which has spots for wheelchairs and ECVs or that there is an accessible ride car that can accommodate wheelchairs and most ECVs.

Someone getting out of a wheelchair = line is wheelchair and ECV accessible, but all guests must transfer to the ride vehicle

ECV with arrow to wheelchair = attraction has a wheelchair accessible ride vehicle, but the vehicle is not ECV accessible/guests need to transfer to wheelchair to use it.

It can also sometimes mean that there is a wheelchair accessible ride car, but the line is not ECV accessible.

ECV to wheelchair then getting out of wheelchair = line is wheelchair accessible, but not ECV accessible. Guests must transfer from an ECV to a wheelchair and then transfer to the ride vehicle.

You can find pdf versions of the park maps for guests with disabilities here.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/guests-with-disabilities/

View attachment 388657
This is the MK map, marked for you.

The train has the symbol for being accessible to both ECVs and wheelchairs without transfer, but most ECV users will either have to transfer to wheelchair or train seat before boarding.

Yellow X = transfer is required, but the seat is about wheelchair seat height, so not that difficult of a transfer.

Haunted Mansion has a moving walkway, which can be stopped or slowed. The CMs try to just slow if possible, but can stop if they need to. Tell each CM you come to what the needs are.
You will be boarding and exiting at the exit after going thru the regular line (or Fastpass line, if you have a Fastpass) and then going thru the Stretching Room; the CM will instruct you where to go as you enter the building and in each room.

Both HM and Big Thunder Railroad have ADA ride vehicles with larger doorways.

Splash Mountain has a high side guests must step over and then down into the ride boat. It’s a tight space.

Pirates has a very low boat. Getting in might be OK because you are working with gravity. Getting out is hard - working against gravity. They prefer guests to transfer to an attraction wheelchair because the loading area is in a different building and one floor down.

Tom Sawyer island is not accessible past about 200 feet from the dock. Narrow pathways, stairs, wooden bridges, etc.

View attachment 388661
This is the rest of the MK map, marked for you.

Small World queue is ECV and wheelchair accessible thru a separate boarding area. Ask at the attraction. You will need to transfer to an attraction wheelchair if you want to use the accessible ramped boat. I have seen guests use that boat to walk on and sit in a seat. I would not recommend it - no rails and seat is fairly low.

Enchanted Tales with Belle USUALLY does not allow ECV users in the building because of space. You can borrow a wheelchair.

Under the Sea Journey with the Little Mermaid line is ECV and wheelchair accessible. If you want to use the accessible ride car, you need to transfer to a wheelchair. Transfer is fairly easy; the seat is close to chair height. The moving walkway can be slowed or stopped.

Buzz Lightyear queue is wheelchair, but not ECV accessible. There is a wheelchair accessible ride car. Moving walkway can be slowed or stopped.

Barnstormer has a tight space.

Dumbo has an ADA car with a wider opening, you would need to request because the CM has to open the side.

Teacups also has an ADA cup, but you need to get over the saucer. They do have a piece that can be placed to bridge the gap.

Seven Dwarfs Mine Train has an ADA car; some people find it a tight fit.

Peter Pan has a spot for wheelchairs to be parked and guests need to be able to walk about 15 feet and get into the pirate ship with the moving walkway, which can only be stopped in emergency. The pirate ship itself has the side open and there is only a small step in. The front of the Pirate ship is not stable to grab.

Tomorrowland Speedway has a low seat. To drive, you need to press the gas peddle very hard (it’s closed now, so not sure if it will change).

Space Mountain is low, tight and there is a limited time to get in and out.

Astro Orbitor has a small elevator to get up to the load/unload area. There is limited amount of space and difficult to climb in.

Tomorrowland Transit Authority station is one floor above ground and is accessed by a very steep moving ramp. It’s made of metal and is quite slippery.

View attachment 388664 This is the Epcot map, marked for you.

Yellow checkmark = need to transfer from ECV to wheelchair; there is a wheelchair accessible spot/ vehicle. The attraction will have a wheelchair you can transfer to.

Journey Into Imagination With Figment is marked with the wrong symbol. The line is ECV accessible, but the accessible ride car is only wheelchair accessible.

The Seas With Nemo and Friends and Living With the Land are both marked that ECV users must transfer to wheelchair for the queue. I have seen smaller ECVs in the queue, but larger ones not usually. There is a wheelchair accessible ride vehicle for both attractions, but it is not ECV accessible.

Same with Gran Fiesta Tour in Mexico. Ask at the entrance.

Green X = wheelchairs and ECVs allowed to the point of boarding, fairly easy transfer required.

Soarin’ is an easy transfer for most people. The seats are chair height and are kind of like lawn chairs.

Spaceship Earth is semi-difficult. Guests using mobility devices enter and board thru the ride exit ramp. ECVs must be left at the waiting area; wheelchairs csn be brought into the load area if absolutely necessary. There is a moving walkway - they usually try to just slow it, but can stop if necessary. There is an ADA ride car with a wider opening. Talk to the CM at the waiting area to discuss your needs.

Mission Space has 2 versions. Green is very intense and turbulent and the ride uses a centrifuge to simulate/create G forces. The spinning is not constant, but occurs when G forces would be felt in a real space trip.
Orange is less intense; it is on a centrifuge, but does not spin. During the course of the ride, it makes one revolution to reset the ride. Most riders are not aware of the rotation.
Both use the same type ride vehicles, which is a step up and into the ride vehicle, then a slide over to your seat. Wheelchair can be brought up to the ride vehicle. Transfer device the map mentions is a sliding board.

Test Track regular boarding area is a huge step down to the seat of the ride car and then down to the ride seat because the track is recessed at that area, hiding the wheels and part of the car side.

There is a more accessible boarding area where guests can bring their wheelchair right up to the ride vehicle. The track at that area is not recessed, so the whole car is visible. That means instead of stepping down, guests need to climb over the side of the car. It’s similar to climbing into and out of a high sided bathtub.

Frozen Ever After requires a large step over the high side of the boat and then a step into the floor. They do have a transfer device available, which is a transfer step to help get over the side. That MIGHT help with getting in, but because of the high side, getting out is also difficult. The ride track is very bumpy at times and there is a drop.

Ray, like you, I often travel by myself also. When I went to the Pooh ride and they brought out a wheelchair and said I needed to use it, I thought that was the end of my opportunity to ride, since I had no one to push me. But when they found out I was alone, they said it was no problem and a CM pushed me through the queue, then volunteered to wait until I got off the ride and brought me back to my ECV. On my last trip, I asked the CMs in front of Pirates about me traveling solo, when they said I needed to transfer to a wheelchair and be pushed. "No problem", they said, and they sounded sincere.
It’s nice they did that, but there is no requirement for them to do it.

It’s a nice piece of pixie dust dust when it happens, but I want to make sure pepople know it’s an exception rather than the rule.

It’s nice they did that, but there is no requirement for them to do it.

It’s a nice piece of pixie dust dust when it happens, but I want to make sure pepople know it’s an exception rather than the rule.
Having read through a lot of ADA rules (for work related reasons), I would disagree. Having read through a lot of it, it appears that one of the following conditions must be met for those in ECVs, if wheelchairs are permitted in the queue and ECVs are not:
  • There must be an alternate entrance location available.
  • A CM must push the person in a wheelchair through the queue if they are alone or have no one that is physically able to push them.
Believe me there is a lot to wade through on all of this and what is related is buried in a bunch of other stuff, but those are pretty much the two options they have under the rules for ADA. And some things are conflicting, so there is some wiggle room, especially for rides built before the early 80s, but even then that changes if there were any major refurbishments done since then. One thing that was clear was that if ECVs used to be allowed (i.e. Haunted Mansion at Disneyland that used to allow ECVs in the queue, but changed policies), then there is no wiggle room, there must be at least one of these two options provided.

Having read through a lot of ADA rules (for work related reasons), I would disagree. Having read through a lot of it, it appears that one of the following conditions must be met for those in ECVs, if wheelchairs are permitted in the queue and ECVs are not:
  • There must be an alternate entrance location available.
  • A CM must push the person in a wheelchair through the queue if they are alone or have no one that is physically able to push them.
Believe me there is a lot to wade through on all of this and what is related is buried in a bunch of other stuff, but those are pretty much the two options they have under the rules for ADA. And some things are conflicting, so there is some wiggle room, especially for rides built before the early 80s, but even then that changes if there were any major refurbishments done since then. One thing that was clear was that if ECVs used to be allowed (i.e. Haunted Mansion at Disneyland that used to allow ECVs in the queue, but changed policies), then there is no wiggle room, there must be at least one of these two options provided.

There has never been a requirement that CMs push anyone through the lines, ever. There is a degree of personal responsibility here, including ensuring that when accessible entrances are available, the guest takes the necessary steps to avail themselves of the provided accessibility. Just as Disney is not required to provide free wheelchairs, neither are they required to provide someone to push those wheelchairs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter