CONFIRMED - Illuminations replacement

"We’re gathered here tonight, around the fire — as people of all lands have gathered for thousands and thousands of years before us — to share the light, and to share a story. An amazing story as old as time itself, but still being written. And though each of us has our own individual stories to tell, a true adventure emerges when we bring them all together as one. We hope you enjoy our story tonight: Reflections of Earth."

(Blows out the lights.)

Where did all these onions come from?

Martin says to expect IP in the new show. September 30th, 2019 is currently the scheduled end date. 20 years to the date.

Makes sense to have the end date on September 30th so the new show can debut on October 1st the same day that Illuminations debuted back in 1999.

edit: oops missed the part where you said 20 years to the date

Only one? I'm planning on 4-5 viewings next trip. And maybe I can squeeze in another trip next year before it ends.

I generally plan to see it at least one time, but since we are in the park for dinner several nights I will stay to seee it whenever possible. My family generally see it one time, they are not fans....so they ditch me and I find them later on. This year I bet I have company, my nieces will be with us and Jenna has never seen it, and for Deb it has been at least 13 years.

Well, as expected on the DIS, another uniform consensus of opinion ;)

Personally, I'm bummed to see it go. I would have been happy with an updated fountain system, and possibly a new better technology (and larger) globe. But I LOVE the soundtrack. And I LOVE the fireworks portion, especially at the end of the first major song (before the words are sung). Oh well. Here's hoping for beautiful original music, lots of fireworks, and no IP. If they choose to go with heavy projections and less fireworks, I think I will be disappointed.

Martin says to expect IP in the new show. September 30th, 2019 is currently the scheduled end date. 20 years to the date.

IP in the new show? I think the reason I like illuminations is because there is no IP in it. Just keep it about the world. Don't add characters or things like that. That is not what epcot is about IMO. Esp in the world section

Personally, I'm bummed to see it go. I would have been happy with an updated fountain system, and possibly a new better technology (and larger) globe. But I LOVE the soundtrack. And I LOVE the fireworks portion, especially at the end of the first major song (before the words are sung). Oh well. Here's hoping for beautiful original music, lots of fireworks, and no IP. If they choose to go with heavy projections and less fireworks, I think I will be disappointed.

That sums up my feelings on it exactly. Maybe since I'm going into this new show prepared to be disappointed I can be pleasantly surprised? Unlike HEA, which was so hyped up beforehand but turned out to not be as good as Wishes (IMO).

I knew it was coming, but I'm still sad. Luckily I will be back in May 2019 and will plan to watch it a few times then! I might even have to plan a quick trip at the end of August next year before our annual pass expires, get some F&W and one last view of Illuminations :guilty:

Last edited:
I can't lie I'm a little sad about this. Illuminations has always had a soft spot for me because of my love for Epcot. I hope we get something a bit more like World of Color centered around the countries and what not, as that is my all time favorite night time show, but I'm really hoping for something great! Really glad I am going again next month and will be able to see it again once if not a few times.

I can't lie I'm a little sad about this. Illuminations has always had a soft spot for me because of my love for Epcot. I hope we get something a bit more like World of Color centered around the countries and what not, as that is my all time favorite night time show, but I'm really hoping for something great! Really glad I am going again next month and will be able to see it again once if not a few times.

I hadn't thought of that but something like World of Color would be wonderful! But geared towards the countries, like you said, or unity as people. I don't want to see another show geared towards all the Disney characters. I can see that in the other parks.

I love Reflections of Earth dearly. My kids, when they were young, referred to the soundtrack as "Daddy's music" because I played it a lot. It is quite possibly my daughter's favorite thing at WDW, and was a not-insignificant factor in why we bought in at BCV. Given the choice between RoE or one final viewing of Wishes before it went away, I chose RoE without a second thought.

That said - it's almost 20 years old now. It's been there over half of the time Epcot has been open. And, much as I love the show, that middle section? It drags like the creator had never heard of pacing.

(It doesn't hurt that I have two trips planned before it goes away, one of which my daughter is along for.)

I'm waiting to see what they can do with another 20 years of show technology. I'm hoping they can impress me as much as they did with Rivers of Light.

Reflections of Earth was also my Disney song. I'd listen to it all the time, even when not in Disney. It's the greatest Disney composition of all time, and then after the show "We Go On" by Kellie Coffey just knocks it out of the park. For me, it has a lot of connection of my family's trips to WDW. I'd drag them there constantly to see that show. My eyes would water sometimes as many of the people I consider friends are spread out all over the globe and that show would make me remember them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter