concierge 1-bedroom sleeping logistics

geegee14

Earning My Ears
Trying to make our final decision to upgrade to a 1-bedroom for our cruise on the Dream. Our kids will be 1, 3, and 5. The 1yo will go to bed pretty early, so he needs to be in a separate area so the rest of us can still enjoy the room. Does a pack n play fit in the master bedroom when the "doors" are closed? Are there any other dividers in the room (like the curtain that can be pulled in the family oceanview rooms)? I know there's a pull-out couch, but where does the 5th bed come in? Is it a bunk or a murphy bed? Thanks!

From the pictures of the staterooms I have seen there is a full size sofa bed and 1 murphy bed. The murphy bed is in the master bedroom on the classic ships and in the hallway w/ a curtain on the Dream class ships.

I think a pack n play would fit in the bedroom. You'd be cramped but it would fit.

PP is correct that there are only 4 actual beds. The queen in the bedroom, a full as the sofa pullout and a twin Murphy bed. The Murphy bed is in the little office area and can be curtained off. There are also hidden shelves in there where my daughter liked to keep her books and toys.

IMG_5274.JPG
You can sort of see the curtain that will separate the living room.

IMG_5277.JPG
And here is the living room with the pull out sofa. I don't have any photos of the room all made up for the night.

Pack and play will not fit in the bedroom, I would recommend pack and play where the murphy bed would be and curtained off. Be aware though if watching tv, the tv is just on the other side of the curtain.

The master bedroom has sliding doors between the bedroom and dining area. These doors are 2" thick each. This door is not a pocket. When opened the 2 door panels stack/layer into bedroom. So when opened fully takes away 4 inches of space from the bedroom.

The other two entrances to the bedroom have pocket sliding doors. All these doors mute sound well IMO.

The space to the sea side of the bed in master has 25.25 inches of space with doors fully open, 29.75 inches of space with doors fully closed. left to right (port to starboard).

My measurements conclude you will have 34 inches fore to aft X 29.75 inches port to starboard on the sea side of the bed for pack n play with dining room door fully closed. Actually those dimensions should even apply with dining door 1/2 closed / one panel closed. The pack n play will block night stand drawer and bed base drawer (Dream only).

Not sure if that is enough space, but that is what is available in bedroom.

Master bath may have more space. Tub is pretty large too. lol.

HTH

We had friends who put the baby's pack 'n play in one of the walk-in closets in Concierge! They were on the Wonder.

Thanks, everyone. Bear - I appreciate those dimensions. So no master bedroom. Can anyone verify that it would fit in the master bath on the Dream specifically? I'm starting to think two regular verandah rooms ends up giving us more sleeping flexibility.

Thanks, everyone. Bear - I appreciate those dimensions. So no master bedroom. Can anyone verify that it would fit in the master bath on the Dream specifically? I'm starting to think two regular verandah rooms ends up giving us more sleeping flexibility.
Yes, the pack and play will easily fit in the main bathroom of the 1BR on the Dream. It will not fit in the master bedroom itself with the sliding doors closed.

So what have others done in this situation? I find it a little crazy that we'd have to put the baby in the bathroom to sleep in a 1-bedroom! At bedtime we will need to use the pull-out couch and murphy bed for our 3yo and 5yo so we can't put it where the pull down is. The dining room?

The dining room table takes up most of the dining room. Maybe they can move it up against the wall. I'm unsure.

Two verandah rooms would definitely give you more flexibility. Infinite amounts, as far as I'm concerned.

If it's a choice, I would recommend getting two connecting staterooms instead of the one-bedroom suite. It's quite a bit cheaper and you have more actual beds and a door in the middle that you can close. We've done this twice (will do a 3rd time this fall) and absolutely love it.

We've done this every time. We've looked at concierge, but it was really only one big room and you don't have two full baths. With five people, I don't think it is worth the extra money to give up the space and the bathroom.

I know you get better services, but I would never book a cabana, there is already too much food available, and the only cruise I ever had issues with excursions was in Alaska. Two connecting verandah rooms when you have kids is, in my opinion, the best way to go.

So what have others done in this situation? I find it a little crazy that we'd have to put the baby in the bathroom to sleep in a 1-bedroom! At bedtime we will need to use the pull-out couch and murphy bed for our 3yo and 5yo so we can't put it where the pull down is. The dining room?
Have you thought about putting the 3 and 5 year old in the sofa bed together? That way, the pack-n-play can go where the murphy bed is. I think DCL expects that 2 will sleep in the sofa bed if there are 5 in the room.

And I get it if that's not an option for you. My 2 kids have never been able to share a bed with each other. I would go with the 2 verandah rooms.

Yeah, sharing the sofa bed is a no-go for them. They would think it was play time. The verandah room is definitely better for sleeping and napping situations. DH was just looking forward to some amenities like in-room dining, getting on the ship first, bottled water, etc. to make the overall trip less stressful for him (and all of us!) with 3 kids under 5.

Even with the best laid plans, I should remember back to our last cruise on the Dream (we had two verandah rooms with my parents in the other one). Our then 18-month old decided he would not have the pack 'n play and slept on top of me the entire cruise. A baby that always slept in his own crib for 12 hours at home with no issues. So, I need to keep in mind that whatever room, they may all end up sleeping with me anyway. With a new environment you just never know!

You could move the pack and play into the bedroom for naps and out by the TV(?) for night time. I think that'd be a nuisance for a few amenities, myself.

Can I also just mention that if you go with the two verandah rooms, you'll have 2 queen beds. So if one of the kids wants to sleep with you or your DH, you could easily spread out to the other bed. Or give yourself some real space and each take a queen bed and a child (well, 2 for one of the rooms).

You might also look at the Cat Vs. They are a little bigger than the 4s, but would still have some of the amenities of concierge. You'd all be in one room (whereas 2 cat 4s or 5s would give you more space), but it looks like the pack and play would fit between the bed and couch.

Why not put the pack 'n play in the hallway next to the bedroom? All foot traffic could go through the bedroom. Otherwise, move the table in the dining room and put the pack 'n play by the door to the bedroom. There are many ways you could move the furniture and get that space you need.

On the new ships you have 2 full baths. However, I agree that fitting 5 in a suite would be tough.

I second that. On the classic ships you can get CatV if you really want concierge.
TestingH2O- how do you get that ticker under your signature? I can't seem to figure it out

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter