Concern about explaining to guest services my mother's disability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobb_o

DIS Veteran
So let me preface this with I have researched and have even had a DAS card myself but when I received mine I had to answer zero questions and explain nothing. I believe that was because I did look like a sick cancer patient (which I was) with no hair, pale, thin, and just sickly looking. I asked the CM about a DAS and he just signed me up.

My mother has 2 main issues, severe rheumatoid arthritis and a spinal cyst (can't remember the exact term) that makes her qualified as a disabled person. Her main problem is that she can't stand/walk for long periods of time and even if she was in a wheelchair/ecv being in a position like that for a long time makes her stiff and is painful. My concern is that when we explain this if they're going to say a wheelchair/ecv should accommodate her needs. The honest truth is she needs to be able to sit when she needs to and move around during other times so that she doesn't stiffen up.

My question is do you think I need more of an explanation than that? What are the odds a CM would push back?

You/she need to be prepared explain what about her disability prevents her from waiting in the regular lines.
It doesn’t need to be in great detail, but it needs to pertain to waiting in line. If she’s going t be using a wheelchair or ECV, she needs to explain the additional needs that are not met by the mobility device.

She could get out of the wheelchair and walk for a while. If walking is not really as much of sn issue as long as she has a place to sit, she may want to consider a rollator, which is a walker with wheels and a seat

What is it about having a wheelchair and getting out of it in the queue to move around a bit isn't going to be enough for her issues? You'll need to explain that to the CMs.

The last two times we have gone to Disney with my parents, we have gotten a DAS for my mom with no questions asked.

The CM should ask your or her what your or her concerns are for the line it sounds like she can not stand or sit for too long witch a mobility device would help ( a wheelchair or roller or ECV) this way she will have a set when needed and she can walk when she needs too. Just because you have a mobility device dose not mean you have to sit in it all the time she can push a wheelchair or roller and someone over 18 can sit in the ECV while she walks ( I go with a friend that can walk just not all day at Disney and I would sit in her ECV so she could walk no one every looked twice when we changed in the middle of one line.

A DAS will not giver her a place to sit when waiting for her return time this is where having your own mobility device come in. A lot of people at Disney do not need help in there everyday life and only need help at Disney ( with all the walking and standing) and most people are too into there own trip to care if someone is walking in a wheelchair a roller ECV or hover board ( ok maybe someone would notice that ) any ways use what tool works best and it sounds like a wheelchair or roller would work quite well for her.

@Bobb_o - The DAS may not be what your Mom needs; her issues may be better addressed by getting her a (pick one: wheelchair/ECV/Rollator) and then creating a "bubble" in the line by allowing the Guests ahead of your group to move forward (a small amount, like say 3 feet or so) and then your Mom can walk/stand/pace as needed while in line, as well as have the seat she needs with her.

There is no way to guarantee that your Mom will be given a DAS. As others here have said, you don't have to explain a diagnosis, or medical condition - she just has to be able to explain *why* she can't wait in the queue like everyone else. Typically, the experience of everyone here is that Disney will say that mobility issues (can't stand/walk, need a place to sit) are resolved with a mobility device of some sort (ie, wheelchair, ECV, or Rollator).

The DAS is neither a "front of the line" pass, nor does it bypass waiting for the ride. It just lets you wait outside the main queue. That's all it does.

The thing is for me it's not about what is the bare minimum, it's about what will make my mom most comfortable. When I was going through chemo I could have stood in lines no problem but it made it easier for me to not have to worry that if I needed to sit or go inside instead of waiting in line for 60 min I had that option. I only used it a couple of times.

A wheelchair is not going to make my mom more comfortable than having the choice of getting a return time. I know this comes off a sounding entitled but I'm not trying to take advantage of anyone, I just want what's going to give my mom the most enjoyable time. It's not simply a mobility issue

You are going to have to tell them why a evc/wheelchair will not work - they are going to gight you that its a mobilty issue and they don't issue DAS for mobility issues

The thing is for me it's not about what is the bare minimum, it's about what will make my mom most comfortable. When I was going through chemo I could have stood in lines no problem but it made it easier for me to not have to worry that if I needed to sit or go inside instead of waiting in line for 60 min I had that option. I only used it a couple of times.

A wheelchair is not going to make my mom more comfortable than having the choice of getting a return time. I know this comes off a sounding entitled but I'm not trying to take advantage of anyone, I just want what's going to give my mom the most enjoyable time. It's not simply a mobility issue

ADA does not cover "make most comfortable" though. We all want to go and have the most enjoyable time, KWIM?

DAS doesn't really have anything to do with the ADA though.
It does in that it is what Disney uses to provide equal access under ADA. Keep in mind Disney is in the middle of a lawsuit where they have taken the position that neither DAS nor the old GAC are required under ADA. We shall see how that falls.
Not to anyone here because no one here has say over the issuance of the DAS but if you describe at Guest Services what you describe here then you will be told to get a mobility device. DAS isnt issued for what you described. If there are other concerns those are what you tell Guest Services.
ADA doesnt require a business to supply a customer with their preferred accomodation.

DAS doesn't really have anything to do with the ADA though.
DAS is Disney’s policy to provide accessibility, with accessibility required by ADA legislation. That legislation allows individual businesses to determine specifics of how accessibility is provided.

When you received your accommodation, it may have been under the old GAC program. Or you may have dealt with a CM who wasn’t following policy as tightly as another CM might. That’s great for the guest who receives a little extra but does tend to set an unrealistic expectation that DAS will always be granted.

Certainly stop at Guest Relations and make the request. But I always recommend people arrive with a back-up plan in the event a DAS is denied.

Enjoy your vacation!

I don't think it's what they use to provide equal access since it applies to much more than what's legally required. An example I think of is autistic individuals who certainly have access to attractions without DAS but qualify for the pass. I just think that Disney could remove the DAS program and still be ADA compliant. I think that's a whole legal issue that most of us aren't qualified to really have any other input than our layman opinions.

I guess what I'll have to explain is it is not a mobility issue, it's a pain issue. I think back to when I got it and I really had no reason to get it other than occasionally I would get out of breath or just generally worn out after walking. Technically speaking a wheelchair would have solved that but they didn't even ask me any questions. It was definitely DAS since it was in 2015.

On a side note I wonder how many people just use a non apparent disability and lie to get the pass.

ADA legislation provides for accommodations for ALL disabilities, not just physical ones. Different disabilities may be accommodated in a different manner.

I’m going to close this thread now before it dissolves into debate of which disability is worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!