Computer storage ?

4fordisneyworld

DIS Veteran
We are going for an extended trip next year and my girls are in an online school. We have never taken laptops with us and I know they won’t fit in the vaults. Obviously we don’t want to carry them through the parks. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can secure them when we are out of the room?
Ty!

Check them at the front desk, they can put them in the resort vault. No charge.

Safes vary in size depending on the hotel and room type at Disney. There's good information in an article on Touring Plans that includes approximate sizes and photos so you can get an idea of whether your daughter's laptops will fit.

In my own experience, I've stayed in 1-bedroom villas at AKV, SSR, BWV, and VGC at Disneyland. My laptop is approximately 10" by 15" by 0.5" and has always fit in the safe. I *think* two laptops would fit, stacked on top of each other, but I've never actually tried it.

I agree that it depends on where you're staying. Some of the safes are large enough to hold a couple of laptops. I've even fit my 15" laptop in the wall safes but more than 1 would probably not work. If everything is backed up I really don't worry about it anymore and just place it out of sight in a drawer, closet or suitcase.

My laptop, a Dell with a 14" screen, fits in the small vertical safes with no problem.

Like DougEMG, I've just left my laptop out. Never had a problem. Be aware, though, that the in-room internet is not the best. The last time I was there, the WiFI test at less than 6Mbps download. If the school pages are graphic intensive, it could take a while to do anything.

Like DougEMG, I've just left my laptop out. Never had a problem. Be aware, though, that the in-room internet is not the best. The last time I was there, the WiFI test at less than 6Mbps download. If the school pages are graphic intensive, it could take a while to do anything.
I didn't even think about the internet speed. That would definitely not work for them. Do you know if the connection is more reliable in the lobby areas?

I didn't even think about the internet speed. That would definitely not work for them. Do you know if the connection is more reliable in the lobby areas?
The Internet varies by room. At SSR i’ve had great luck everywhere except for the Paddock, a 2BR, at the back of the building across from Congress Park. Most of the time we’ve been able to stream from 2 different laptops at the same time, sometimes 3.

The Internet varies by room. At SSR i’ve had great luck everywhere except for the Paddock, a 2BR, at the back of the building across from Congress Park. Most of the time we’ve been able to stream from 2 different laptops at the same time, sometimes 3.

That’s what I find too although we have not had any issues just browsing the internet except one time when the WiFi router in our section was actually having issues and they had to fix it. The speed can vary dependent on the room but it’s always worked.

We bring our IPads on every trip, and leave them in plane sight in our rooms with no problems.

Yes the internet about killed me two trips ago. I own a business and many things need my attention during the trip so I always schedule off days to fit in some work time. The internet was not even usable. I would plan on using a hotspot. The speed of the internet will vary by resort and day (for instance a super rainy day when more guests stay at the resort will cause more strain on the WiFi network). I even ordered a cable to try and get an in wall direct connection but found out later those aren’t active anymore. Plan for next time is hotspot, it’s the only other option I’ve come across. And also I just tuck my laptop in a bag out of sight, never had issues.

DH is self employed so always on call. Always leave his laptop out since he is working at anytime during the day/night. Never had a problem. But do agree with internet speed. We ended up getting a hot spot last trip. Was a life saver. Our cell company you can get one on a month to month basis.

Yes the internet about killed me two trips ago. I own a business and many things need my attention during the trip so I always schedule off days to fit in some work time. The internet was not even usable. I would plan on using a hotspot. The speed of the internet will vary by resort and day (for instance a super rainy day when more guests stay at the resort will cause more strain on the WiFi network). I even ordered a cable to try and get an in wall direct connection but found out later those aren’t active anymore. Plan for next time is hotspot, it’s the only other option I’ve come across. And also I just tuck my laptop in a bag out of sight, never had issues.
Can you tell me about using a hotspot? I have never done this before and I definitely want to make sure they have reliable connection. If they are in the middle of a quiz/test and they lose connection, they end up with a zero!!

Can you tell me about using a hotspot? I have never done this before and I definitely want to make sure they have reliable connection. If they are in the middle of a quiz/test and they lose connection, they end up with a zero!!

Wow - that's a little crazy. I mean there can be glitches on any internet connection.

Wow - that's a little crazy. I mean there can be glitches on any internet connection.
Yeah, it is crazy. They can get it reset but it is a huge PAIN and if they have almost finished and then lose their work it is frustrating for them to have to restart. We have Xfinity at home and for the most part it is pretty reliable.

You can utilize your cell phone's network to get internet onto your laptop. I have an iphone, I just go to settings and turn on the hotspot, then on my laptop change the wifi to my phone. There is a password on my phone to use for logging in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!