Completed 3 DCPs-now wants to work for the Mouse!

mickey'sbud

DIS Veteran
Need some info please.... thought some of you here on the DIS could help!
... My DS has completed 3 DCPs and 2 of those with extensions!!!. He loved every minute of it!!!!!!!!! He left in good standing. It's been about 4 months. He now wants to go back to WDW to work. We have talked about where he should live if he is hired. Apartments online look very expensive! He doesn't know anyone to room with. We are concerned about where to live (safe) and being able to afford to live there. Any "good" suggestions and any words of wisdom would be appreciated!!!!!!

Above was primarily for housing...any words of wisdom as far as "applying" at WDW outside of the DCP this time (would also be appreciated.:)) This will be for a regular PT/FT job at WDW.
He will probably apply for QSFB since most of his time was in that area. He also did attractions, but feels like he would more easily get back on in QS. Any thoughts?
....And can you ask for a location (park) when you apply? If so, where would you do that? .... under "additional comments" or somewhere like that? He'd love to go back to ODV at MK again!

Thanks for any advice!!!!!

My dd finished her extension in May. She wasn't able to apple for permanent employment at that time due to excessive points on her record. So she went to US. She has just applied with Disney, over the weekend. Fingers crossed. She applied for seasonal merchandising, since that's what they were looking for. The application also asked for her second and third position choices...she put down character attendant and attractions (she was in attractions for her program). So, yes, there seems to be a choice when applying. But not a hugely specific one. It's all about what Disney needs at that moment. I think my dd will take just about anything at this point. Her issue is going to be hours. Those working p/t just aren't getting a ton of hours. She is already working two jobs..US and Blaze Pizza. So, adding a third will be interesting..if it pans out.
She lives in Cagan Crossings, in Clermont. It's a very nice complex, very large with a lot of CMs living there. I believe one bedroom units there start in the $800 range. She is paying $360 a month, with two roommates, so close to $1100 for a two bedroom unit.

My daughter did 2 DCPs including extensions and one alumni program before deciding to stay down in Orlando permanently. She lives in a 3 bedroom with 3 roommates in Windermere. Her rent is about $1700 a month, and she's rooming with 2 people she met during her first DCP and another friend that she met when she was working at DHS. (She previously lived in a 4 bedroom apartment with roommates that was $1,600 a month). I don't think she'd be able to afford to rent a 1 bedroom by herself with all of her other expenses (car payment, insurance, utilities, gas, food, saving for school, etc.). She was full-time at DHS working crazy hours each week, but left Disney in August and is working as a server at a restaurant in Celebration now. Way less hours for about the same amount of money which will help when she starts college again in January.

Last edited:
Are you guys outside of Florida? If so, keep in mind he will need to interview in person at Disney casting; they do not do phone interviews for full time/part time roles outside of the DCP. The application process is simple: you fill out an application, submit a resume (make sure he mentions the College Program in his history), and then a questionnaire to gauge personality (like he would have taken with the DCP). After this step, if they move him on to an interview, they will ask him when he can do an in person interview. I have gotten to the interview stage a couple times, but couldn't fly to FL for interviews so ultimately I had to stop applying.

I have several friends who stayed down there beyond their college programs, so I could ask them where they would recommend to live if you like!

Are you guys outside of Florida? If so, keep in mind he will need to interview in person at Disney casting; they do not do phone interviews for full time/part time roles outside of the DCP. The application process is simple: you fill out an application, submit a resume (make sure he mentions the College Program in his history), and then a questionnaire to gauge personality (like he would have taken with the DCP). After this step, if they move him on to an interview, they will ask him when he can do an in person interview. I have gotten to the interview stage a couple times, but couldn't fly to FL for interviews so ultimately I had to stop applying.

I have several friends who stayed down there beyond their college programs, so I could ask them where they would recommend to live if you like!
My dd is currently in Clermont. Looks like her application is tied up, waiting for Costume Recovery to clear her. She forgot to return a belt in May, so there is a $7.59 charge against her. When they reached out to her, she was told, via email, that if she agreed to pay for the missing item out of her first paycheck, if rehired, her account would be cleared. She did so immediately. She double checked with Casting and was told that was correct but that it can take a week to ten days for Costume Recovery to clear accts! Well, that was ten days ago. So, here we sit, waiting. I think she should call Casting just to make sure everything is fine and to offer to bring them the money in person if need be. Costume Rec was supposed to send her an email to tell her she was good to go. Then Casting would be alerted and her application looked at again. But, I'm thinking that perhaps they didn't send the email. Perhaps a call to Casting isn't a bad idea.

Reviving this thread.
My DS decided to wait until the first of the year to "decide" whether to apply to WDW since he was/is happy with his current job.
Also as I mentioned in my first post, he is wanting to apply to QSFB, but it isn't listed on the jobs site. Any idea why?
Again the biggest concern is the apartment costs and whether he can find one in a timely manner if he gets hired.
Also still looking for any info regarding housing and job apps your willing to share. Thanks so much!

Reviving this thread.
My DS decided to wait until the first of the year to "decide" whether to apply to WDW since he was/is happy with his current job.
Also as I mentioned in my first post, he is wanting to apply to QSFB, but it isn't listed on the jobs site. Any idea why?
Again the biggest concern is the apartment costs and whether he can find one in a timely manner if he gets hired.
Also still looking for any info regarding housing and job apps your willing to share. Thanks so much!

If it's not listed on the site they're most likely just not hiring for that position. Especially since the new CPs just rolled in for the new year. I transferred to PT after my second program so I don't have a lot of information or tips for getting a job outside of a transfer. However, he might keep his mind open to a different position. I know a lot of people who have transferred into multiple different roles before. Maybe have him look into 3rd party at Disney Springs or possibly Universal. I know people who have loved both.

The apartment I live in is near CP housing and is about $400-$420 per month + utilities pp. That's a 3 bedroom 2 bath apartment shared with 4 people. Anything behind Magic Kingdom is going to be more expensive from what I know, I haven't heard of anyone I know of paying much less than we do. Have him join some facebook housing groups. I used to be apart of one and it was exclusively cast or team members with Disney and Universal finding roommates and housing. People are posting there all the time and the prices range, there are also a lot of houses for rent, not just apartments. That's the easiest way or possibly see if any of his friends from his CPs are still living there and are looking for roommates. I live with friends from my 2013 CP and we just happened to all need housing at the same time.

When my dd applied, back in Oct,, she applied for the only thing she had a shot at getting....seasonal merch. By the time her costume issue was finally resolved, but by the time it was, that seasonal spot was gone. She was given the choice of a phone interview, or an in person one, at Casting. Since she lives close by, she chose Casting. They told her they wanted her back in the 'Disney family' and gave her a choice of vacation planner or qsfb. She chose planner and went on an interview. This would be those CMs in the ticket booths who are supposed to upsell you. Well, that wasn't a good fit! They had told her that if that didn't pan out, they would move her to qsfb...but that was gone by the time she was told she was a bad fit for planner. So, she sat on an Attractions wait list from Nov to last week!!!! She just got a p/t attractions spot....MK Main St Daily Ops. So, I guess you have to apply for whatever you think is a possibility. And then wait.
There are currently only two of them in their two bedroom apt....and they are barely paying expenses. She doesn't have Traditions until next Sat....so hopefully once she is able to start working, finances will improve. But, it's hard for just two to share an apt.

When my dd applied, back in Oct,, she applied for the only thing she had a shot at getting....seasonal merch. By the time her costume issue was finally resolved, but by the time it was, that seasonal spot was gone. She was given the choice of a phone interview, or an in person one, at Casting. Since she lives close by, she chose Casting. They told her they wanted her back in the 'Disney family' and gave her a choice of vacation planner or qsfb. She chose planner and went on an interview. This would be those CMs in the ticket booths who are supposed to upsell you. Well, that wasn't a good fit! They had told her that if that didn't pan out, they would move her to qsfb...but that was gone by the time she was told she was a bad fit for planner. So, she sat on an Attractions wait list from Nov to last week!!!! She just got a p/t attractions spot....MK Main St Daily Ops. So, I guess you have to apply for whatever you think is a possibility. And then wait.
There are currently only two of them in their two bedroom apt....and they are barely paying expenses. She doesn't have Traditions until next Sat....so hopefully once she is able to start working, finances will improve. But, it's hard for just two to share an apt.

Thanks for the update! I hope this is a better fit for her and she is happy! I'm so glad something came thru for her!!! ...and seems strange that it took so long for a position to open especially having been in the CP. Use to be (I think) there was no problem finding an open position. There use to be a lot of jobs. Not so now for entry level!!!!
My DS is on hold now about applying. Funny that there are no QSFB, merchandise, attractions etc available now on the jobs board. It requires so many people to fill those positions. They must be reorganizing how they are filling the positions [Does anyone know if that's what is happening?].

I know CP is the number one method for filling those positions. We've noticed too that the number of internships (for seniors and grads) have increased since DS was once thinking about applying to one of those. However, those are all about timing and then you have to "get" the position. When he could have applied, there were fewer offered and none available he could go for. In the meantime, watching the jobs board and timing is his only option... I guess.

Thanks for the update! I hope this is a better fit for her and she is happy! I'm so glad something came thru for her!!! ...and seems strange that it took so long for a position to open especially having been in the CP. Use to be (I think) there was no problem finding an open position. There use to be a lot of jobs. Not so now for entry level!!!!
My DS is on hold now about applying. Funny that there are no QSFB, merchandise, attractions etc available now on the jobs board. It requires so many people to fill those positions. They must be reorganizing how they are filling the positions [Does anyone know if that's what is happening?].

I know CP is the number one method for filling those positions. We've noticed too that the number of internships (for seniors and grads) have increased since DS was once thinking about applying to one of those. However, those are all about timing and then you have to "get" the position. When he could have applied, there were fewer offered and none available he could go for. In the meantime, watching the jobs board and timing is his only option... I guess.

When my DD transitioned from DCP to a regular job at Disney she applied for housekeeping (which was one of very few open positions at the time) and interviewed for that. At the interview, they asked her if she had interest in any other positions and she mentioned attractions, QSFB and something else, and she was hired in QSFB. She was willing to work in housekeeping if she had to but was glad to be hired in QSFB as that is what she did (and enjoyed) in her DCP. She was hired on part-time at first, waitlisted for FT and eventually hired FT at Starbucks at DHS. She's since moved on and is no longer working for the Mouse, but is still in Orlando going to college FT and working.

I truly think that there are so many CPs in those jobs now that there aren't a lot of openings for permanent CMs. I know that dd's friend applied (wasn't a CP at any point, so no Disney experience), about 10 months ago and was on an attractions waitlist for a few months.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter