COMPLETE - Trip Report - Aulani, Oahu, & the Big Island - August 2018

@gregf71, I came across your trip report while researching Aulani. Thank you for sharing the details of your vacation, which, by the way, sounds like a truly amazing trip. I've never been to Hawaii and have been researching a trip to Oahu. Now, based on all you shared, I feel compelled to work out a trip split between the two islands. I'll definitely be using your trip report as a reference for day trips! It's reassuring, too, to see that you were able to visit both sides of the island without switching your home base. I don't think that I'd want to add a third resort/hotel/condo to the itinerary. Thank you, again!

@gregf71, I came across your trip report while researching Aulani. Thank you for sharing the details of your vacation, which, by the way, sounds like a truly amazing trip. I've never been to Hawaii and have been researching a trip to Oahu. Now, based on all you shared, I feel compelled to work out a trip split between the two islands. I'll definitely be using your trip report as a reference for day trips! It's reassuring, too, to see that you were able to visit both sides of the island without switching your home base. I don't think that I'd want to add a third resort/hotel/condo to the itinerary. Thank you, again!

Mahalo! I am so pleased that you liked our report and find it useful. Even with it getting cut a bit short, we still had an awesome time. It was our first visit to the Big Island (Kauai pre-kiddo) and we found it so amazing in many regards. Have fun trip planning and have a wonderful trip!

Enjoyed your trip report! Sorry it was cute short. OMG the food you guys had!! I will have to keep up with some that you mentioned. I have been to Oahu, I have never forgotten how good the pineapple is and I loved the plantation.

Thank you for the trip report! I'm planning a very similar trip for 2020, but we'll be doing the BI first. I have Oahu figured out, but didn't know anything about BI. This has given me a wealth of ideas!

Thank you for the trip report! I'm planning a very similar trip for 2020, but we'll be doing the BI first. I have Oahu figured out, but didn't know anything about BI. This has given me a wealth of ideas!

You are most welcome, bennifer! We were so pleasantly surprised how much there was to do on the Big Island. Early on in trip planning we figured that since we had a week on the Big Island that we would have no problem doing everything we wanted, leaving a lot of time for just lounging lazily around. Boy, were we wrong! Truth is, we discovered so many cool things to see and do that we had to leave several things off of our plan this time. Guess we will have to return some day!!! Enjoy your trip planning and your trip! Cheers!

I have just found (and read) your fabulous TR. Looks like you had a wonderful time despite the weather cutting your trip short. We're visiting Oahu this year, so really appreciated all the great information you shared.

I have just found (and read) your fabulous TR. Looks like you had a wonderful time despite the weather cutting your trip short. We're visiting Oahu this year, so really appreciated all the great information you shared.

Thanks Tink! Glad you enjoyed and found it useful! Have a fabulous trip!

I too just found your trip report. I am going to the big island for a conference before heading to Aulani. Have used your report to see what I can fit in to do before moving to Oahu. Thank you!

I too just found your trip report. I am going to the big island for a conference before heading to Aulani. Have used your report to see what I can fit in to do before moving to Oahu. Thank you!

You are very welcome, Dachsie!!! I hope you have a wonderful trip!

You are very welcome, Dachsie!!! I hope you have a wonderful trip!
Thanks - quick question - approximately what does a daily car rental cost at Aulani? Trying to figure out if need a rental for whole time or not

Thanks - quick question - approximately what does a daily car rental cost at Aulani? Trying to figure out if need a rental for whole time or not

We booked our 1 day car rental via CostCo about 6 months ahead of time and it came to about $92. I checked multiple times between the initial booking and our arrival date, but the price never lowered...sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. Keep in mind that we always planned to leave Aulani for only 1 day, so an extended rental wasn't necessary, not to mention you need to consider the cost of daily overnight parking fees if you rent a car elsewhere and park it at Aulani over multiple nights.

Thank you so much for such a detailed and wonderfully interesting trip report. We are visiting just Oahu which just means we'll have to plan a return trip because you had me at 100% Kona coffee!

Thank you so much for such a detailed and wonderfully interesting trip report. We are visiting just Oahu which just means we'll have to plan a return trip because you had me at 100% Kona coffee!
Hi ksromack! Thank you for reading it! I'm glad you enjoyed it and found it inspiring for a Big Island visit! We very much want to return to the Big Island, but I guess we will just have to settle for returning to Aulani this summer! 😉

Hi ksromack! Thank you for reading it! I'm glad you enjoyed it and found it inspiring for a Big Island visit! We very much want to return to the Big Island, but I guess we will just have to settle for returning to Aulani this summer! 😉
Ah, so you are making it back! This is sort of what I'm afraid of....that it will become a must do for us and we're coming from St. Louis so our flights will require a layover in CA somewhere (this time SFO seemed to be the cheapeset way to do it). I really don't want to do a non-stop from Chicago. Anyway, maybe next time we'll check out San Diego. Our niece just moved there from Stanford and she's getting married!

Ah, so you are making it back! This is sort of what I'm afraid of....that it will become a must do for us and we're coming from St. Louis so our flights will require a layover in CA somewhere (this time SFO seemed to be the cheapeset way to do it). I really don't want to do a non-stop from Chicago. Anyway, maybe next time we'll check out San Diego. Our niece just moved there from Stanford and she's getting married!

Yes indeed! Just Aulani this time out, but staying a bit longer than 2018, allowing us to have two days with a rental car to explore the island. While out and about, we plan to hit a couple repeats from 2018, but looking at some different things as well. I am currently in big time trip planning mode!

I wouldn't say that it has become a "must do" in the sense of prioritizing it #1 over other vacation destinations, it just worked out for 2020. We considered other options before choosing to return, balancing it against what we did in 2019 and what we plan to do in 2021 (my 50th birthday and our 20th wedding anniversary), as well as financial realities.

Congratulations to your niece! San Diego is great! I was born and raised here. Lots of great food and sights to see! You should pay us a visit one of these days!

I'll be flying through the St. Louis airport in the spring coming home from a business conference...any food recommendations in there?! :)

Yes indeed! Just Aulani this time out, but staying a bit longer than 2018, allowing us to have two days with a rental car to explore the island. While out and about, we plan to hit a couple repeats from 2018, but looking at some different things as well. I am currently in big time trip planning mode!

I wouldn't say that it has become a "must do" in the sense of prioritizing it #1 over other vacation destinations, it just worked out for 2020. We considered other options before choosing to return, balancing it against what we did in 2019 and what we plan to do in 2021 (my 50th birthday and our 20th wedding anniversary), as well as financial realities.

Congratulations to your niece! San Diego is great! I was born and raised here. Lots of great food and sights to see! You should pay us a visit one of these days!

I'll be flying through the St. Louis airport in the spring coming home from a business conference...any food recommendations in there?! :)
As in at the airport? I can tell you of the restaurants mentioned my best experiences are at Budweiser Brewhouse, Mike Shannon's, Schlafly Brewing, and Pasta House. I'm not sure what terminal you will be flying through, though. Schlafly is a local microbrewery with some really awesome beers. Mike Shannon's used to be excellent. He was one of our Baseball Cardinal's broadcasters who opened his own restaurant downtown by the stadium. That restaurant has since closed and he opened a smaller bar and grill type near his home across the river from downtown. Pasta House is a local chain restaurant and is my favorite. Their pasta con broccoli is amazing and their house salad is something I could eat every day (lettuce, pimentos, red onions, artichoke hearts, and lots of garlic and parmesan cheese).....you will need a mint after eating that!

Question......we have 6 nights on Oahu. The first 5 nights are at Aulani. We'll have a car and plan to spend 2 of those days exploring the island and 3 of them staying mainly at the resort (with maybe a dinner exception off site). Then our last night is on Waikiki Beach where we have a tour planned that will probably duplicate some of what we may have already explored on our own at the NOrth Shore. We will have reservations at Hula Grill for our one night for dinner while staying at Moana Surfrider and a sunday brunch at Orchid's the day of our departure. We fly out late that evening on a red-eye to SFO. Does that sound ok? Does 3 fairly-full days of resort time sound about right? I wouldn't mind taking advantage of all the free things at Aulani and even the paid ones (like making flower Mickey ears, etc). We are commando Disney parks people so relaxing at the resort is something a bit new to me :confused3

As in at the airport? I can tell you of the restaurants mentioned my best experiences are at Budweiser Brewhouse, Mike Shannon's, Schlafly Brewing, and Pasta House. I'm not sure what terminal you will be flying through, though. Schlafly is a local microbrewery with some really awesome beers. Mike Shannon's used to be excellent. He was one of our Baseball Cardinal's broadcasters who opened his own restaurant downtown by the stadium. That restaurant has since closed and he opened a smaller bar and grill type near his home across the river from downtown. Pasta House is a local chain restaurant and is my favorite. Their pasta con broccoli is amazing and their house salad is something I could eat every day (lettuce, pimentos, red onions, artichoke hearts, and lots of garlic and parmesan cheese).....you will need a mint after eating that!

Question......we have 6 nights on Oahu. The first 5 nights are at Aulani. We'll have a car and plan to spend 2 of those days exploring the island and 3 of them staying mainly at the resort (with maybe a dinner exception off site). Then our last night is on Waikiki Beach where we have a tour planned that will probably duplicate some of what we may have already explored on our own at the NOrth Shore. We will have reservations at Hula Grill for our one night for dinner while staying at Moana Surfrider and a sunday brunch at Orchid's the day of our departure. We fly out late that evening on a red-eye to SFO. Does that sound ok? Does 3 fairly-full days of resort time sound about right? I wouldn't mind taking advantage of all the free things at Aulani and even the paid ones (like making flower Mickey ears, etc). We are commando Disney parks people so relaxing at the resort is something a bit new to me :confused3

Yep, at the airport only. I will have a 2 hour mid-afternoon layover in the St. Louis airport on my way back from Minneapolis. So something small and tasty may be necessary before boarding my flight home. I like to try and hit local places in the airports versus the national chain restaurants, like McDonalds, etc.

Regarding your itinerary. Honestly, and yes I know that this may be a cop-out answer, but it really depends on you all and what you want out of your vacation. In 2018, we stayed at Aulani for 5 nights with 3 1/2 days at the resort (the half day being our arrival day), 1 day exploring sites on Oahu, and our last morning was just breakfast before heading to the airport and going to the Big Island. This upcoming summer, we wanted a bit more of Aulani and Oahu, so we are staying there for 7 nights, allocating 4 1/2 days enjoying Aulani and 2 days of island fun. To your question, "Does 3 fairly-full days of resort time sound about right?" Sure, absolutely, but everyone has different needs when it comes to their vacation. Could you divide the time up differently? Yep, but who's to say if you should? In my mind, our time at the resort in 2018 was more about simple relaxation (much needed relaxation I will add), where our day out (and the Big Island portion) was meant for a bit more excitement and variety. We too are usually commando-type vacationers, especially when we hit Disneyland or WDW, or are vacationing for the purpose of seeing sites and experiencing other countries or cultures. To me, Aulani is more about chilling and simply exhaling. I could float in that lazy river for hours, let me tell you. :)

Ok, are you flying SW? That is in Terminal 2 which is where the Pasta House/Schlafly restaurant is located. I think 2 hours is plenty of time :) Pasta House also has the StL famous "toasted ravioli" which is a pretty quick/easy snack/appetizer.

Ok, are you flying SW? That is in Terminal 2 which is where the Pasta House/Schlafly restaurant is located. I think 2 hours is plenty of time :) Pasta House also has the StL famous "toasted ravioli" which is a pretty quick/easy snack/appetizer.

Yes, Southwest. These recommendations are perfect!!! THANK YOU!!! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter