Complaints

I didn't see her as focusing on things she can't change, but trying to understand why a 6-day ticket with 6 entitlements can't be used for 12 days (6 park days plus 6 extra entries).

OP, I would dump the park hoppers and the water parks and look at a 10-day pass. It's cheaper than the 6-day park hopper plus and it gets you into parks for up to 14 days.
That's my point though, we don't know why they changed it so what's the point of still trying to figure it out? If its that disappointing, then its time to move on to another vacation destination. I think the "vent" has just turned into complaining, which doesn't get anybody anywhere.

That's my point though, we don't know why they changed it so what's the point of still trying to figure it out? If its that disappointing, then its time to move on to another vacation destination. I think the "vent" has just turned into complaining, which doesn't get anybody anywhere.
I always try to figure out why things are done, so trying to understand why Disney only allows 10 days instead of 12 on a 6-day PH Plus makes sense to me. I do know why: YAMG (yet another money grab). I do agree with you that if the YAMG is too much for the OP she should find somewhere else to vacation but she's allowed to express her disappointment and sadness and complaints. The title is "Complaining" :badpc: so I wonder what else you expected inside it :confused3.

I always try to figure out why things are done, so trying to understand why Disney only allows 10 days instead of 12 on a 6-day PH Plus makes sense to me. I do know why: YAMG (yet another money grab). I do agree with you that if the YAMG is too much for the OP she should find somewhere else to vacation but she's allowed to express her disappointment and sadness and complaints. The title is "Complaining" :badpc: so I wonder what else you expected inside it :confused3.
You are right, but I guess after a few days of complaining I would rather try to fix the problem instead of any endless circle of new complaints. But to each their own!

I just thought of another question though. If I purchased a 6 day park hopper plus water parks ticket, it should last for a full 12 days to make use of the water parks option. Why is that not the case?
I was thinking about this yesterday. They severely decreased the value of what you get for that water park option. If you only have 9 days to use a 6 day ticket with parks and water parks, odds are you aren't going to use all your entitlements. That's just wrong.

I *sort of* get why they are pricing the flex option so high. They are assuming that anyone buying at ticket could be using it at peak time, so they can't leave a loophole where you buy the lowest price ticket and use at the highest price time. But there's NO reason they couldn't break out the 14 day option separately and charge a lot less for that. Nobody is going to show up 2 weeks early to activate a ticket just so they can use it on a peak day. Anyone close enough to do that has an AP already.

Yes! OP is getting some good explanations, and some good suggestions on how to make the most of this ridiculous money grab. If that comes with some complaints, then that's fine too. As you say, anyone reading the title should know what they'll find when they open the thread. :laughing: You can bet I'd be complaining if I was in her shoes. I learned a lot in the course of this thread as well, so I'm sure it will serve as a warning for many other visitors.

That is actually a good suggestion and for some odd reason I hadn't even considered it. We enjoy the water parks but maybe that is something we can do without.
Or you can go to the water park once and pay OOP and still save money over paying for the pass extension.

ETA: we have APs but I would say that we only hop about half the time and when we do hop it’s for fireworks/evening show or dinner. I could easily just schedule to do those in the same park all day.

That is actually a good suggestion and for some odd reason I hadn't even considered it. We enjoy the water parks but maybe that is something we can do without.
If you keep your current trip with Free Dining you still have to keep Park Hoppers. You don't have to have the Park Hoppers Plus option (that gets you the water parks) but part of the stipulations for Free Dining is to purchase at least Park Hoppers.

If Free Dining isn't uber important you free up that requirement. Also I know the Free Dining offer was available to be booked through Febuary 10th and since that date has passed just be careful with changes done to ensure you still keep the Free Dining offer if that's what you still want.

If you keep your current trip with Free Dining you still have to keep Park Hoppers. You don't have to have the Park Hoppers Plus option (that gets you the water parks) but part of the stipulations for Free Dining is to purchase at least Park Hoppers.

If Free Dining isn't uber important you free up that requirement. Also I know the Free Dining offer was available to be booked through Febuary 10th and since that date has passed just be careful with changes done to ensure you still keep the Free Dining offer if that's what you still want.
Thank you for catching that mistake. I don’t always follow the rules on WDW discounts. We stay DVC or offsite.

Thank you for catching that mistake. I don’t always follow the rules on WDW discounts. We stay DVC or offsite.
I myself don't keep up and up on Free Dining rules because the Dining Plan doesn't work for us. They didn't use to be as strict they've just gotten that way over time in what you have to do in order for Free Dining to apply. I was thinking about Disney having rules, but didn't know exactly what those rules were so I looked it up, for the offer when you mentioned downgrading what tickets the OP has and paying OOP for the water parks, which is a good idea IMO to save some $.

I myself don't keep up and up on Free Dining rules because the Dining Plan doesn't work for us. They didn't use to be as strict they've just gotten that way over time in what you have to do in order for Free Dining to apply. I was thinking about Disney having rules, but didn't know exactly what those rules were so I looked it up, for the offer when you mentioned downgrading what tickets the OP has and paying OOP for the water parks, which is a good idea IMO to save some $.
Well shoot. The park hopper plus option isn’t that much more than the park hopper. Sorry, OP :(.

We are exploring other vacation options and finding good value in our choices. Just because I have the money does not mean I need to part with it so easily! We will still go to Disney in the future but there is a lot to see and do in the world, so the World may have to wait.

The higher prices do not seem to drive down crowds. If anything, WDW seems more crowded more often

Magical2017 you are correct for a relaxing vacation there are so many other options, we have gone ever year but will skip this year. It not about the rides ii is saying on property and the cost is soaring Hawaii is now affordable. I can stay at a Marriot and get the same service at less expanse.

Aww heck, I knew there must be a catch! Now that I'm really looking over our options, it honestly doesn't make much sense to continue with the Free Dining deal we'd booked. I have always wanted to try Free Dining because it would give us an excuse to try all the desserts and drinks that we'd otherwise pass up. Not too mention I'd be off the hook for fixing meals in the room! But it really isn't "Free" (of course) and staying off site makes so much more financial sense.

Yeah, I'm definitely complaining, which I realize is completely useless, but somehow makes me feel better anyway. We are THISCLOSE to changing our vacation, which I would like to avoid. But I'm finding it hard to convince my DH that it's still worth it. Heck, I've been a lifelong Disney fan and I'm not even sure it's worth it.

Yes! OP is getting some good explanations, and some good suggestions on how to make the most of this ridiculous money grab. If that comes with some complaints, then that's fine too. As you say, anyone reading the title should know what they'll find when they open the thread. :laughing: You can bet I'd be complaining if I was in her shoes. I learned a lot in the course of this thread as well, so I'm sure it will serve as a warning for many other visitors.

Thanks. It's just nice to hear from other people who feel the same way and see what they've done about it. Also, I've gotten some good info about the new tickets that I hadn't kept up-to-date on.

OP, last year we decided to add a WDW vacation on a non-Disney year. We made a budget and shortened the trip to 5 nights. We have stayed on and offsite, but with kids it has always been onsite. I checked the Orlando Hotels and Resorts board. We wanted space, so we canceled our value room and for the same price booked Wyndham Bonnet Creek. 900 square feet, one bedroom unit with a large balcony, lazy rivers, themed pool, full kitchen and W/D for the same price as a value. Now we really love the onsite benefits, but found a car rental for under $200 (we would use Uber in the future) and just paid to park at Disney. We decided to make one day a resort day so only did 3 day park tickets. We used airlines points to fly down. It was a very reasonable vacation and we definitely felt it was a good value.

The resort is just outside CBR. It definitely was not in the Disney bubble, but we had a fabulous time--it's all about spending time with family. A one bedroom onsite, even renting points, was thousands more. We do want to stay on-site for our next trip (not sure when that will be). I cannot justify the cost for a larger unit onsite at this time, especially when we have other trips we like to take throughout the year. Perhaps consider lurking on the Orlando Hotels and Resorts board--folks over there have a wealth of information about how to get their Disney fix in ways that do not break the bank. It does not help with some of the other things you mentioned, of course.

Just shot a letter over to Disney to express my frustration with the new ticketing usage/pricing tiers. Like throwing a cotton ball at Goliath I know. We are a family of 6, DVC owners, who on our next trip, opted for 2 day park hoppers. So we have to choose a 4 day window to use our tickets despite our 8 day onsite stay. $1,704 (give or take) doesn't give us the liberty of picking which days during our stay we will visit the parks. Regardless or illness or injury, rain storms or scorching heat, once activated, we have to use our tix in those 4 days or risk losing their validity. That's insanity. It's insulting. It's kicking the pants that holds the wallet that feeds them.
This is the first time Disney really disappointed me. It may be a deal breaker for us.

Just shot a letter over to Disney to express my frustration with the new ticketing usage/pricing tiers. Like throwing a cotton ball at Goliath I know. We are a family of 6, DVC owners, who on our next trip, opted for 2 day park hoppers. So we have to choose a 4 day window to use our tickets despite our 8 day onsite stay. $1,704 (give or take) doesn't give us the liberty of picking which days during our stay we will visit the parks. Regardless or illness or injury, rain storms or scorching heat, once activated, we have to use our tix in those 4 days or risk losing their validity. That's insanity. It's insulting. It's kicking the pants that holds the wallet that feeds them.
This is the first time Disney really disappointed me. It may be a deal breaker for us.

Man, that stinks! I hope they get back to you.

You may want to double check that, if you are staying onsite. Per the Disney website, tickets are valid for the period of time based on # of days purchased, or the length of onsite stay, whichever is longer

You may want to double check that, if you are staying onsite. Per the Disney website, tickets are valid for the period of time based on # of days purchased, or the length of onsite stay, whichever is longer
Thanks for the optimism but the 2 CM's I spoke to at Disney both told me that only if buying park passes coupled with a room reservation, as a "package", will the tickets be valid for length of stay. That was one of my points in my letter to Disney. As DVC owners, we'll never buy a vacation package. I will always buy my tickets separately. Initially, I thought it only applied to tickets bought through 3rd person vendors like AAA or undercover tourist. But again, CM"s told me that even tickets bought direct from Disney, unless bought with a package, will all have the same limitations. I would LOVE to find out they're wrong because it's insane.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!