Comments on discovery Cove day

serenitygr

2021: trip number six to the Fort!!
Just wanted to post a few comments on our day we spent at Discovery Cove Monday November 5th. It was the first time we’ve been there.

1. Beautiful park! Lots of pretty and peaceful areas to walk through.
2. The dolphin swim was incredible and made the day worth it! I’ve always wanted to do this and I’m so glad I did. The photos they got were also beautiful!
3. Not super impressed with their lockers. We had a hard time finding ones that the key was very easy to turn- it took us several minutes to open one of them. We also had an employee tell us our family of six all needed to use only ONE locker, which seemed ridiculous because even up until the end of the day there were many unused lockers. We also couldn’t even come close to fitting everyone’s shoes, clothes, purses, and souvenirs in one locker. Needless to say we moved to a different area and used more than one!
4. Their meal system definitely needs work. For breakfast we waited over 30 minutes in a line that barely seemed to move. At lunchtime- the line was moving quicker, but then we noticed they closed one side so that immediately made for long lines again. Between the 6 of us we tried quite a few menu items and none of them were something I’d go back for.

Overall opinion: I’m so glad I got to experience the dolphin swim, but when we compare it to the magic of Disney, we all agree it’s not something our family plans to go back to.

Now you can say you crossed it off your bucket list :). Not everyone’s cup of tea & that’s ok.

I cannot imagine how you stuffed all your gear in one locker. Can’t say we’ve ever had an issue with the key (lucky to visit twice this year).

We are always there bright & early, mostly to secure our preferred time to swim. However, the line for breakfast is sparse then too. It usually means we are among the first eating lunch too. We’ve never experienced more than a 5 minute wait in line even with just one side open on the buffet.

I do think the quality of the food has slipped. Last year was first time i really noticed it, moreso this year. Still, family I had with me who hadn’t been there before, thought it was great.

I kind of agree with Keishashadow. I was very impressed with my day at Discovery Cove but I have heard from people who have been here multiple times that it has gone downhill. The food is not 5 star - it would be nice if it were better - but I'm sure there's a cost saving factor here. The appropriate department should probably make a few things outstanding in the food department to overshadow the mediocre.
If someone told me I had to stuff 6 people in one locker, I would wait for them to leave and grab a few more lockers. They don't know who is together and who are separate parties.
I was there on a day they had 800 attendees. It was wonderful. There were areas I had all to myself. If the park were crowded with the full 1500 they allow per day, I might feel differently.
I found every employee helpful and accommodating and it really made me feel the park was up to Disney level when it comes to guest accommodation.
I can't wait to go back! I may even do trainer for a day!

Last edited:
My daughter and I love Discovery Cove- whenever we are on a Disney trip we make sure to go to Discovery Cove- one trip we went twice! The last trip we went for my daughters sweet 16 trip and we rented a cabana- it was WONDERFUL! You had your own locker in the cabana, your own towels which they refreshed during the day, your own attendant and fridge and unlimited snacks and drinks brought to you all day (they are unlimited everyplace there but in the cabana they bring them to you). Ours was right on the Grand Reef- so we just got out of our cabana chairs and had a little beachy area in front of the cabana you walk through and right into the grand reef- it was wonderful! We always get there before opening time, get settled and have breakfast, never had any line at breakfast. We tend to have an early lunch with little lines and then have some more food prior to leaving in the evening.
Even when we don't have a cabana we never had any problems with lockers even when there were 4 of us, we never bring anything other than what we are wearing- no purses since they are not necessary.

I love Discovery Cove! I went twice last month, and had a blast

We were at Discovery Cove on October 31st. This was our 7th visit since 2012, with our second most recent visit being in May of this year.

While I can see them discouraging you from using 6 lockers for your family (it is unlikely that there are sufficient lockers for every single guest to have their own), it is definitely strange that they would advise you to squeeze all of your gear into one single locker when you are a larger family. We have never seen anyone policing that area on any of our visits, so it's bizarre that they were doing so on your date. My husband and I can easily share a locker, And the staff should have directed your party of 6 to perhaps share 2 or 3 between your group. But again, I've never seen them make an issue of locker usage so it's very surprising that it was something you encountered.

We, too, had a difficult time with some of the locks on the lockers. I suspect the rain and humidity in Florida degrades the integrity of the locks fairly quickly. I hope it's something that they fix sooner rather than later.

We thought the food on our most recent visit was some of the best we've had there in the last few years. There were even some changes between our May visit and our October visit, all of them positive. We tried most everything on the menu between the 2 of us, and everything was tasty and hot and flavorful. Certainly better than any counter service meals we've had at the Disney parks. We do find that certain times of day can be more congested at the restaurant than others, but we tend to arrive early in the morning so breakfast lines are minimal. We also try and eat at staggered times during the day, avoiding the noon hour rush altogether. On the times that we have found there to be back-ups, it has generally seemed to us that it is the guests who are slowing the lines with indecision on which entrees they wish to eat. So many choices!!

Sorry to hear that the over all experience was not something you care to repeat. I understand that perspective though, because that's how my husband and I generally feel about most of the Disney parks. So nice that there are so many varied choices for families in Orlando, there's always something to fit each and every one!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!