combining resale with DVC contract

jagson

Mouseketeer
I have 2 DVC contracts from Disney. If I bought a resale I know I can't combine them into one contract, but can I borrow points from a resale with my DVC contract to reserve a room, and if I am able to do so will I still be able to enjoy all the perks of a DVC member? Can I borrow point from a resale even if I have enough points in my DVC-bought contract, or in my 2nd DVC contract? Its a confusing question even to me, not sure its clear enough to even respond to.

Depends on whether they are the same resort. If same resort, yes and you get the same 11-month booking advantage for home resort.

If not the same resort, still can "combine" the points per se, but you can't use them all at the 11-month window to get a reservation at one of the two home resorts.

Yes, you can borrow from one contract and not the other.

If I bought a resale I know I can't combine them into one contract,
You can't combine two direct contracts into one contracts; they will always be separate. Which makes me think you're really asking a different question. If the deeds are titled the same and you have the same use year, they will appear in the same account and can be used seemlessly together at 7 months. If they're also the same resort, they can be used seamlessly at 11 months. There's no different rules for borrowing on a resale versus direct.

Any resale points won't be valid for the pre-2011 "perks," but your direct points will qualify you for the pre-4/4/16 perks.

Your question is a little vague -- we need to know exactly what you're dealing with. Are all contracts deeded identical? Same resort? same use year?

If they are all the same (resort, deeded, UY), then all the points look the same in your account and you can combine points however you see fit. Resale points and direct points are indistinguishable as long as they are used to book DVC accommodations. If you were to use points for cruises or such, only the points purchased direct could be used.

If your resale contract is for a different UY but same home resort -- then you'd have to call MS and have them transfer your points from one contract to the other. The points wouldn't be viewable in your account since they'd have a different UY. But you could use the combined points at 11 months to make a reservation.

If your resale contract is for a different home resort and same UY -- you could easily book reservations at 7 months by selecting which points you wanted to use. But you couldn't combine prior to 7 months.

If your resale is for different home resort and different UY -- you'd have to transfer the points in order to combine the points to make a 7 month reservation. Again -- you wouldn't be able to combine prior to 7 months.

So, if you bought a small direct contract and larger post-4/4/16 resale contract for the same resort you could make an 11-month reservation at the home resort with a small direct-sale points use and the balance with the resale points, and have all the perks/privileges of a DVC member due to your direct-sales points used.
Say I buy a 50 point direct sale, and 100 point resale contract, can I make an 11 month reservation for, say, 100 points using just 10 direct-sale and borrowing 90 resale-contract points, and have the perks? And still have 40 direct-sale points leftover?

The only perks that are currently tied to the points being used specifically for a reservation are Those being traded for cruises/Disney collection, etc. The merchandise/dining discounts, discounted tickets/AP, special member only events, etc is currently tied to having an eligible membership (i.e. Direct purchaser or grandfathered in resale prior to April 2016) not using eligible points for that particular trip.

So, if you bought a small direct contract and larger post-4/4/16 resale contract for the same resort you could make an 11-month reservation at the home resort with a small direct-sale points use and the balance with the resale points, and have all the perks/privileges of a DVC member due to your direct-sales points used.
Say I buy a 50 point direct sale, and 100 point resale contract, can I make an 11 month reservation for, say, 100 points using just 10 direct-sale and borrowing 90 resale-contract points, and have the perks? And still have 40 direct-sale points leftover?
You can make 11 month reservations with just a resale contract. You only need a direct contract for the "perks," of which only the AP discount actually has any value and can be taken away from everyone at any time.

I have 2 DVC contracts from Disney. If I bought a resale I know I can't combine them into one contract, but can I borrow points from a resale with my DVC contract to reserve a room, and if I am able to do so will I still be able to enjoy all the perks of a DVC member? Can I borrow point from a resale even if I have enough points in my DVC-bought contract, or in my 2nd DVC contract? Its a confusing question even to me, not sure its clear enough to even respond to.
I think you have 2 issues confused. While they can never be combined for legal purposes, they can be used together seamlessly (7 or 11 mo depending on home resort) if the same UY and combined under one master contract which requires they be titled the same. If you buy resale then add on, they will be combined under one master.

As somebody else already said, access to the perks is completely untied to what points were used in the reservation. Once you're a direct member, you have access to perks, so long as you don't sell your direct contract.

As somebody else already said, access to the perks is completely untied to what points were used in the reservation. Once you're a direct member, you have access to perks, so long as you don't sell your direct contract.
IMO this will be a moving target that is guaranteed to change and likely not for the better.

IMO this will be a moving target that is guaranteed to change and likely not for the better.
Agreed-that's why in my reply to the OP I had said currently-I think probably most of us suspect that if this round of "restrictions" doesn't keep direct sales at the level Disney wants additional restrictions/changes are on the horizon.

Agreed-that's why in my reply to the OP I had said currently-I think probably most of us suspect that if this round of "restrictions" doesn't keep direct sales at the level Disney wants additional restrictions/changes are on the horizon.
The reason I posted as to try to make it more clear and to emphasize that things will likely change and not for the better for those who are not qualified. Plus the option to access the perks for a 25 pt purchase will likely fade away. Over time they're likely to widen the gap between qualified and non qualified but they could do so by tying the benefits only to qualified points usage.

It's like a chess game against a master-level player (DVC). You might win but probably won't unless you "cheat".
This post will probably get me put on some kind of watch list.

It's like a chess game against a master-level player (DVC). You might win but probably won't unless you "cheat".
This post will probably get me put on some kind of watch list.
There isn't much way to cheat with a timeshare unless one creates a criminal act. There are a few situations where one can be dishonest like putting too many in a room without notification, putting one price but selling at another or transferring saying it's family/gratis when it isn't. For the most part when people talk about something being unfair, they're off base where timeshares are concerned.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!