Colorful Sand Beaches from Aulani

LikeDaisies

You are one lucky bug.
Hi all! My boyfriend is dying to go to a colored-sand beach in Hawaii - it has become priority number one in his Hawaiian dreams. From my research, I don't think that there are any beaches like that on Oahu, but has anyone gone on a day trip tour to one of the other islands? Do such things exist and are they worth it?

Thanks for any help you can give!

I've been to a black sand beach on Maui and an the Big Island but not as a day trip, always as part of staying a few nights on those islands.

It was interesting but I am not sure it would be worth the time and cost for a day trip from Oahu.

I've been to a black sand beach on Maui and an the Big Island but not as a day trip, always as part of staying a few nights on those islands.

It was interesting but I am not sure it would be worth the time and cost for a day trip from Oahu.
I agree—maybe not worth the cost of a day trip. But if you can do a split stay on Maui, Wai’anapanapa Beach was so amazingly gorgeous I was just speechless. I just MUST go back!! So yeah, that’s one LOL. I think Maui and the Big Island probably have the most choices, so if you like lava (LAVA.....that was my #1 bucket list item) a split stay on BI would be good too. I don’t remember there being any on Oahu but of course someone might know of a “hidden” gem.

Agree with PPs that a day trip just to see the black sand beaches would not be worth the time or expense. Instead, I would split my time between Oahu/Aulani and another island where you can spend more time and do things in addition to the beach.

Also, I think any day trips that are offered as part of an organized tour would be more to see things like the volcano. I'm sure the black sand beaches are likely a stop or drive by, but it would include a lot of other things you may not otherwise be interested in. They also tend to be long days - 14+ hours from what I have seen. You could plan something yourself too, but again, I still don't think it would be worth the time and money.

I've been to white, black and green sand beaches on the Big Island. You need to spend several days on the Big Island to and enjoy them.

-Paul

Just drive around to the other side of Oahu and visit Waimanalo Beach. It is an absolutely breathtaking white sand beach with the most gorgeous water on Oahu.

Just drive around to the other side of Oahu and visit Waimanalo Beach. It is an absolutely breathtaking white sand beach with the most gorgeous water on Oahu.
I agree that the windward side beaches of Oahu are worth the visit. Nicest beaches we saw while in Hawaii, and reminded me a lot of Gulf or Caribbean beaches. I wouldn't say they're a substitute for the novelty of seeing the black sand beaches, but would still say the black sand beaches alone are not worth the travel to another island.

The Big Island is do-able as a one day trip. Take the earliest flight out in the morning, and the latest back, renting a car (a bright yellow Jeep!) at the airport. The black sand beach at Punalu'u alone was worth the trip. All of the volcanoes were dormant when we were there last summer, so no lava to see. The Lava Tube hike that we really wanted to take was also closed. We did drive through Volcanoes National Park and got some great pictures. Ended the day at Kona Brewing before getting on a short flight back to Oahu. It was totally worth it.

The Big Island is do-able as a one day trip. Take the earliest flight out in the morning, and the latest back, renting a car (a bright yellow Jeep!) at the airport. The black sand beach at Punalu'u alone was worth the trip. All of the volcanoes were dormant when we were there last summer, so no lava to see. The Lava Tube hike that we really wanted to take was also closed. We did drive through Volcanoes National Park and got some great pictures. Ended the day at Kona Brewing before getting on a short flight back to Oahu. It was totally worth it.
So IDK what I was thinking, but after we did Kilauea and had lunch, we drove straight on to Hilo and totally forgot Punalu’u!! I think I was so giddy from seeing molten lava that I temporarily lost my mind! We did Wai’anapanapa on Maui, though, which was amazing, but I still kick myself! LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!