College entrance cheating scandal

That's not the crime committee here. In fact, it's not a crime, period, from what I can find.

Could I ask why you believe there isn't already extreme scrutiny of nonprofits by the IRS and other government entities?

Huffman and Loughlin are charged with conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud.

Saw it on the news this morning. Less than 1% of non-profits in this country are audited by the IRS. Sure, you are required to "file reports" but as long as you do that, and don't get "unlucky" in the audit draw, you can pretty much do anything you want with a non-profit. I set one up for a school organization one time, and it took me about 10 minutes or work, and filing was literally on a postcard. Now, it's a completely legit organization, so I'm not worried in the least about an audit, but apparently there's very little concern that this would ever happen.

There's VERY little scrutiny of most of these organizations unless and until the organization draws some attention to itself. This particular organization for YEARS filed reports showing that they did nothing in terms of programming (supposedly they were helping underprivileged children), and yet never an audit. And people went on "donating" and then "deducting" those donations from their taxes.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/t...bribe-their-way-into-elite-schools-2019-03-14

501 Organizations audit statistics are directly coralated to the dollar amounts they handle. I am the president of one and yes we have to only file a postcard return each year but that is because we sell nothing, generate revenue from dues only and have less than $50k in total cash/assets. As you have more complicated situations the audit percentage rates start taking off. Some of the top 501, non profits that do see frequint audits beleive it or not are Hospitals. In Houston we have Memorial Herman, Methodist, St Lukes, St Josephs etc. and the list goes on. They are massive organizations but have a tax exempt status due to their make up. As a result they must see indigent patients. It is a very interesting dynamic because some of these places are like major corporations.

Absolutely true said:
Accommodations are still supposed to be a team decision. A doctor's note is good, but when the doctor asks for extended time and the child never uses it, turns in his test early, etc.....is SHOULD get taken away. If Alice wants computer read aloud for testing but consistently refuses it, she should have it removed, doctor's note or no doctor's note.

One of the parents charged in the scandal is being called the "Hot Pockets Heiress."

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/loca...ibery-Scheme-Court-Appearance--507824111.html

Among those appearing Friday was Michelle Janavs, a former executive in her family's food manufacturing business, which developed Hot Pockets before selling it to Nestle for $2.6 billion. She is accused of paying $100,000 to help her daughter cheat on her ACT in 2017 and to get into the University of Southern California as a purported beach volleyball player.

Say it ain't so!!!

85557222.jpg

Why people continue to bring up Tide Pods is beyond me.

Because people actually tried eating them after seeing YouTube videos of other people eating them. They must all have been the people tired of "adulting" those days and turned off their adult brain that tells them what a moronic & dangerous thing that is to do. :rolleyes:

Among those appearing Friday was Michelle Janavs, a former executive in her family's food manufacturing business, which developed Hot Pockets before selling it to Nestle for $2.6 billion. She is accused of paying $100,000 to help her daughter cheat on her ACT in 2017 and to get into the University of Southern California as a purported beach volleyball player.

If someone has $2.6 Billion, WHYYYYYY are they buying their kid a seat in college? ANY college? :confused3 :confused3 :confused3 :confused3 :confused3 For that amount of money, they could buy their kid a couple businesses and enough "friends" for a lifetime who will tell their kid how great, & smart, & talented they are. :rolleyes1

On a more legal note:

Music mogul & Beats headphones founder, Dr. Dre had recently bragged on Instagram that his daughter got into USC "all on her own," legally. But then he was bashed so much on social media, he had to take the post down, as many pointed out Dr. Dre and Jimmy Iovine donated $70 MILLION to USC, so they could start a school there: "The Jimmy Iovine and Andre Young Academy for Arts, Technology and the Business of Innovation, established to promote entrepreneurship, computer science and engineering, audio and visual design, and the arts. Dre and Jimmy wanted to inspire innovators."

Of course, USC let his daughter go there after that. :rolleyes1

0323-dr-dre-daughter-usc-insta-3.jpg

However, donations are legal and honored. They have been since, probably, cavemen times, when some hunter from a neighboring tribe brought over a slaughtered sabertooth tiger for that tribe to eat. And in exchange, as a place of honor, that person's family got to sit up close to that tribe's campfire.

I hadn't read your post when I posted below, but it's interesting that you mention faking disabilities to help with the ACT/SAT.

The first time the girl I mentioned took such a test, she got "unlimited" time to finish. I think her relative exaggerated that, but she did get quite a few more hours to finish it. A lot of kids do not actually finish every question on the ACT/SAT. They do as many as they can, and when the proctor calls "5 MINUTES," they start random bubbling, so they at least have a chance. I know DD had some sections she could always finish, but others she had to randomly bubble at least a few answers on. If my DD had be allowed even 10 minutes more on those sections, her scores would likely have been considerably higher. That's just life.

Imagine my shock, when even with HOURS of extra time, the girl bombed the test and wailed that she couldn't finish. My DD said, "She couldn't FINISH?!?!?! How in the world could she not finish, when she had hours longer to complete it? At some point, do like the rest of the people, and just bubble it in. NOT FINISH?!?!?!" Yes, she was indignant.

The thing I feel bad about is that all through HS, I kept telling DD that someday this girl would pay the price, because you can't do it forever without it catching up to you. But seeing it work like a charm for her in college means I have to eat my words.
I have a feeling that when she enters the real world it will bite her.

Describing the way a child entered a family is an irrelevant and inappropriate description - and it's just as irrelevent to point out that a child was adopted as it is to point out they entered the family via IVF or c-section or via the stork.
As explained above, not in reference to federal aid and how relationships are denoted on the FAFSA form.

If someone has $2.6 Billion, WHYYYYYY are they buying their kid a seat in college? ANY college? :confused3 :confused3 :confused3 :confused3 :confused3 For that amount of money, they could buy their kid a couple businesses and enough "friends" for a lifetime who will tell their kid how great, & smart, & talented they are. :rolleyes1

I don't know if the woman personally has $2.6 billion; that's what Nestle paid for the company that invented Hot Pockets. But she no doubt got a nice chunk of change from the deal.

I think having each of them ENDOW a faculty position and one or more full-ride low-income academic scholarships at their state flagship schools would be a fitting punishment. They could also specify it for a learning-disabled student if they cheated by taking advantage of disability accommodations. They can be known as the "Defendent XYZ Reparations Scholarships" That way, every time a kid wins one, it will be the punishment that keeps on coming back to hit them in the Public Relations Department. 8-)

And for those folks who mentioned that the IRS should get involved? Never fear, I am *sure* that they already are involved.
I like how you think. ;)

Some of the cast of Fuller House, accepted a Kids Choice Award, several days ago. Candace Cameron Bure made a speech saying, “Family sticks together no matter what. They stick together through the hard times, they support each other, they encourage one another, they pray for each other, and they stand by their side no matter how tough it gets,” she said, as seen in the video above. “And a loving family that sticks together also celebrates the really good times together!”

Great role model to kids, Cameron. :rolleyes: Sticking by someone who used cheating to get into college and deprived two other kids from getting in. :sad2:

Some of the cast of Fuller House, accepted a Kids Choice Award, several days ago. Candace Cameron Bure made a speech saying, “Family sticks together no matter what. They stick together through the hard times, they support each other, they encourage one another, they pray for each other, and they stand by their side no matter how tough it gets,” she said, as seen in the video above. “And a loving family that sticks together also celebrates the really good times together!”

Great role model to kids, Cameron. :rolleyes: Sticking by someone who used cheating to get into college and deprived two other kids from getting in. :sad2:
It's always fascinating to see where the costars stand on these deals.

Last edited:
Because people actually tried eating them after seeing YouTube videos of other people eating them. They must all have been the people tired of "adulting" those days and turned off their adult brain that tells them what a moronic & dangerous thing that is to do. :rolleyes:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwi_x5OJ96nhAhVKgK0KHXQqDi4QzPwBegQIARAC&url=https://mashable.com/2018/01/19/tide-pod-challenge-hysteria-stop/&psig=AOvVaw0drwHJLzlPEFKOAl3vUZQ3&ust=1554037530717393

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timeinc.net/time/5104225/tide-pod-challenge

There are 40 million teens. Some adult picked up on a meme and satire in The Onion and now because some took the challenge, this is the defining point of this generation?

It's curmudgeonly adults on social media who have made it such a big deal.

From 2012 to 2017 the calls to poison control about ingestion of Tide Pods by anyone , including small children that adults should protect, went down.

Those who continue to fabricate stories about today's youth need to go find the young adults doing good in this world who are bridging the gaps in dividing the country by age, race, creed and culture and making a difference in so many other areas of life.

Many more of those 40 million young people are bridging these gaps than eating Tide Pods.

And it was adults who should know better that created this cheating scandal.

Not their kids.

Last edited:
There are 40 million teens. Some adult picked up on a meme and satire in The Onion and now because some took the challenge, this is the defining point of this generation?

Who said this is the defining point of this generation? :confused3 It seems like like another one of a million stupid things the social media generation will go through. YouTube has already taken it upon themselves to ban videos that encourage or promote challenges for people to hurt themselves or others.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter