College entrance cheating scandal

I believe there are several apps where one could crib notes to display.
And you can send notes to your friend ... Question 12? ... oh, sure, Pal, the answer is C.
I believe back when my husband and I took those tests (2005-2006) we could use TI-83 and TI-84 and below calculators but not TI-89 and I believe it was because the TI-89 could do calculus and I think other more advanced functions.
My oldest went away to college with a TI-84, which had seen her through high school. She called saying, "QUICK! Mail me my old middle school calculator -- my Chemistry professor won't allow anything greater than a TI-35 on quizzes and tests!" (I could be wrong on the numbers.)
You have to actually have a diagnosis to get an IEP or 504. Legally, schools can't just give them out because a parent just simply wants one.
Absolutely true, but in our town everyone knows which doctor will write what you need to get you the IEP or 504.

Absolutely true, but in our town everyone knows which doctor will write what you need to get you the IEP or 504.

the thing is (at least in our experience w/both) is that getting the diagnosis is only good for getting the process rolling. the actual formulation of the iep and/or 504 accommodations entails the school looking at all of the student's academic records and determining what is appropriate for the INDIVIDUAL student (the i in iep). just b/c a doctor says a kid has say adhd doesn't mean there's a blanket list of immediate accommodations that are provided, same w/asd-not every student gets private room/more time and just b/c a doctor says they need it and it doesn't mean the iep team (which the parent can or cannot opt to have the doctor a part of-at the parent's expense) will agree on it/get it authorized.

when our son was making the transition from private to public school (entering in freshman year) we started the process to get everything in place the spring before enrollment. it was them looking at the doctor's test results/reports (we opted for private testing on our dollar) and w/some additional evaluations they wanted and tests they opted to readminsiter (their right) and reviewing academic records from his prior school. an initial plan was developed but it changed as things worked/didn't work. i know that schools are only mandated by law to do a yearly formal iep meeting but i don't know of a single parent of a kid with a legitimate learning disability who isn't meeting with the school at minimum quarterly and doing tweaks to the plan. a student faking a diagnosis had better be adept at faking it in all their classes/school extracurriculars every day b/c all of their academics and behaviors get looked at, documented and factored into their accommodations/plans.

i read up thread that some believe that iep's and 504 plans follow a kid into college-not the case. colleges aren't mandated to do iep's, and while they fall under 504 law regarding discrimination the 504 plan from high school doesn't follow into college. colleges can't discriminate against students w/disabilities and they have ada protections but the accommodations and services can be VERY limited-and new/recent proof can be required/student has to initiate a brand new request w/different criteria to be met through office for students w/disabilities. ds goes to college but despite being in a program created for individuals w/ learning disabilities and using every resource available under ada/504 the accommodations look nothing like what traditional k-12 schools provide.

Hallmark will figure it out. My opinion, there is pretty much zero chance they will recast a different actress into her specific role.
They bring in new actors and actresses to When Calls The Heart pretty frequently to play new roles.

I can see them (in one or two episodes) writing off her character and then electing a new Mayor. Life will go on in pretend 1910. :-)

You are missing the fact that they were about to air Episode 4 (of 10 episodes) tonight. That means 7 episodes of this season, were already filmed, edited & were ready for airing. One hour TV shows are actually 42 minutes of actual show. If Lori Loughlin was in each episode 8-9 minutes, the producers have to edit out, they can't have 8-9 minutes of dead air space. They have to pay the writers to do re-writes.

They weren't in the middle of filming where they could have just changed the storyline & kept going without blinking. To do re-shoots's to fill the time, it's not like they just take a cell phone camera and film the show in their backyard. I'm not even sure if Hallmark has their own production studio in Vancouver. (Tyler Perry has his own production studio in Atlanta, in which he was able to film his latest Medea movie in a matter of days. He said they just hauled all the equipment around the lot, set up and shot the next scenes.) Whereas, I think most of Hallmark's productions are on locations. I read a Hallmark producer say, as there will be a record breaking 34 new Christmas movies premiering this Christmas, (up from 27 last Christmas, on the 2 channels,) that they are already having trouble finding new locations to film at that they haven't used before.

The "When Calls The Heart," production probably has to rent the same locations again. Haul in trucks & trailers of camera, lights, costumes, props, & other equipment. They would have to re-hire the same Director of Photography and lighting guys & costume people, to match scenes re-shot. More than likely, those people and their crews are already in production on other projects.

Add to that, they may have to bring back 5-6 actors & actresses for re-shoots, who also may be scattered around the U.S. & Canada, doing other projects and can't all assemble together during the same days, or during the weeks allotted for re-shoots.

And I bet, if they do re-shoots, they will be taking the money from 1-2 upcoming Christmas movies. Maybe scrapping them this year, so those sets of casts don't get to shoot a movie for this year. :badpc: Lori Loughlin: the taker that keeps on taking. :headache: :sad2:

Last edited:
You are missing the fact that they were about to air Episode 4 (of 10 episodes) tonight. That means 7 episodes of this season, were already filmed, edited & were ready for airing. One hour TV shows are actually 42 minutes of actual show. If Lori Loughlin was in each episode 8-9 minutes, the producers have to edit out, they can't have 8-8 minutes of dead air space. They have to pay the writers to do re-writes.

They weren't in the middle of filming where they could have just changed the storyline & kept going without blinking. To do re-shoots's to fill the time, it's not like they just take a cell phone camera and film the show in their backyard. I'm not even sure if Hallmark has their own production studio in Vancouver. (Tyler Perry has his own production studio in Atlanta, in which he was able to film his latest Medea move in a matter of days. He said they just hauled all the equipment around the lot, set up and shot the next scenes.) Whereas, I think most of Hallmark's productions are on location. I read a Hallmark producer say, as there will be a record breaking 34 new Christmas movies premiering this Christmas, (up from 27 last Christmas, on the 2 channels.) That they are already having trouble finding new locations to film at that they haven't used before.

The "When Calls The Heart," production probably has to rent the same locations again. Haul in trucks & trailers of camera, lights, costumes, props, & other equipment. They would have to re-hire the same Director of Photography and lighting guys & costume people, to match scenes re-shot. More than likely, those people and their crews are already in production on other projects.

Add to that, they may have to bring back 5-6 actors & actresses for re-shoots, who also may be scattered around the U.S. & Canada, doing other projects and can't all assemble together during the same days, or during the weeks allotted for re-shoots.

And I bet, if they do re-shoots, they will be taking the money from 1-2 upcoming Christmas movies. Maybe scrapping them this year, so those sets of casts don't get to shoot a movie for this year. :badpc: Lori Loughlin: the taker that keeps on taking. :headache: :sad2:
You may be right. I am aware there is plenty of work involved. :flower3:
Whether Hallmark takes a quick, easy road or a more polished, thoughtful option we will have to see.
I agree with you that Loughlin has caused a lot of problems for many. :sad1:

The latest I've read is this:
"With the full support of the network, we have gone on a creative hiatus to do some retooling on the remaining Season 6 episodes. That process has already begun. Hope Valley will return to your TV screens as soon as we can bring the episodes to you."

https://parade.com/862169/paulettec...-executive-producer-the-show-is-not-canceled/

It's pricey, but compared to re-shooting substantial segments of 7 episodes of a location-based costume drama, they might actually go with having another actor replace her via CGI. All it takes is switching the face and voice.

I just remembered that Lori Loughlin usually films a new Christmas movie each year. She was also filming her series, "Garage Sale Mysteries," when she got arrested. That has been given the ax. They can use the budget from those two projects to fund any re-shoots for, "When Calls The Heart," instead of taking the money from other unrelated projects & people. :thumbsup2

It's pricey, but compared to re-shooting substantial segments of 7 episodes of a location-based costume drama, they might actually go with having another actor replace her via CGI. All it takes is switching the face and voice.

I "think" in order for that to work they would have had to put a green head mask (like a green Spiderman mask,) on Lori during filming. CGI usually needs the "green screen" to fill in, doesn't it. :confused3

I "think" in order for that to work they would have had to put a green head mask (like a green Spiderman mask,) on Lori during filming. CGI usually needs the "green screen" to fill in, doesn't it. :confused3

To simply edit out her head and replace it with someone else's, they would just need to "color in" her head in the filmed portions with a single color, then overlay that with film of someone of similar size with the visible portion in same hairdo and costume (which serve to match the data points between the original footage and the new footage. Then you put the whole scene just slightly out of focus so that the "seams" don't show too badly, and there you go. It's a more manual process than simple green-screening (which is much faster than manually overlaying the footage), but again, it *might* end up cheaper than bringing back an entire cast and revisiting locations at the correct season of the year -- depends on how many frames they have to replace.

The list regarding which calculators are allowed for the PSAT and SAT is very specific. A few years ago the location where DS12 was taking the PSAT 8/9 didn't distribute the correct calculator list so the proctor tried to confiscate his calculator. I tried to show the head administrator the list I printed off but she refused to look at it. Luckily another mother who was a math teacher went to bat for me and set the test administrator straight.

In addition to her parents cheating to get her into a college she didn't want to attend, a game show may have been rigged in favor of Olivia Jade.
I'm sure that honest kids will face even more restrictions and suspicious looks from proctors because of these people.

The cheating on a game show is just gross.

It may not get everyone in, but having no financial need is certainly "something special" in the eyes of many schools. Not all college admissions are need-blind (where they do not look at financial need when evaluating applicants). There are plenty of schools where the ability to pay in full greatly increases your chances of being accepted over someone who has a need for financial aid.

So, I just looked it up and apparently Harvard, Princeton, and Yale are now need-blind. But, there are still many other schools that operate under the "need-aware" admission policy.

Oh absolutely - at many schools being full pay is a HUGE bonus. But not at Harvard (or the other Ivies/top 25 type schools). My sister teachers at a small private schools and it's full of rich kids who couldn't get into the flagship state school, but whose parents can pay the tuition at this private school.
But schools like that aren't caught up in this scandal, if for no other reason than the parents don't need to actually bribe anyone....

To simply edit out her head and replace it with someone else's, they would just need to "color in" her head in the filmed portions with a single color, then overlay that with film of someone of similar size with the visible portion in same hairdo and costume (which serve to match the data points between the original footage and the new footage. Then you put the whole scene just slightly out of focus so that the "seams" don't show too badly, and there you go. It's a more manual process than simple green-screening (which is much faster than manually overlaying the footage), but again, it *might* end up cheaper than bringing back an entire cast and revisiting locations at the correct season of the year -- depends on how many frames they have to replace.
Oh my. It's The Hallmark Channel, not the SYFI. :D
Seriously, I think there is a possible solution hint in the way WCTH handled Daniel Lissing's character, Jack, when Daniel left the show. They didn't do anything odd or unusual, they ended that story line with the death of Jack. (Not to be confused with baby Jack who is on the show, but I digress...)

Last edited:
I was reading more articles about big companies distancing themselves from Olivia Jade. I think she is a spoiled brat, but there is something that *almost* makes me feel sorry for her. There was no need to cheat. She had no need to go to USC or college at all. She could have easily been a YouTuber or star in the Kardashian kind of sense. Granted, she still might do that, but what a waste. Okay, maybe I feel angry again because she didn't want to go to college and she didn't need to, yet her parents still cheated someone else out of a spot.

My wife worked in a Middle School for 14 years. She was the Reigistrar/ Attendance Clerk. Extra time on standardized tests were an interesting topic. There were constantly meetings going on to determine if accomidations needed to be made for students. These were called ARD's. Have no idea what it stands for but it was a meeting between parents, teachers, and councilors, to discuss the students needs. Many times the outcome was as much time as they needed to complete the standard test. So one year they have a kid who does terrible on the practice tests, gets extra tutoring and is still not doing well and so they get him the extra time. Test day in April comes and he gets all day to finish the test. Other kids get like 2.5 hours. He does a little above average on the reading portion, but score a 100% perfect score on the math portion of the test. Everyone claims it is because he got the extra time, well yes, and no. Turns out one of the last ditch efforts Teachers use to get kids to pass the test is a series of lessons on testing theroy and "gaming" the system. With all day to work the test on the math side the kid simply took all four answers on the multiple choice test (one of the accomidations given on standardized test is that instead of five possible answers, you only get 4 possible answers) and worked backward to see if the answer was right. Don't have to understand the problem, just plug and play. He learned it from the series of lessons in testing theroy or gaming the system.

So yeah some need extra time, and some need help but in reality that assistance can really tilt the scale. Yes people will say I don't understand that some kids need the time or the help, but in life, (or a job, or college acceptance, or real life) you will not be accomidated. So exactly what are we setting some of these kids up for. The expectation that the world is fair is nice but not the relaity we live in.

My wife worked in a Middle School for 14 years. She was the Reigistrar/ Attendance Clerk. Extra time on standardized tests were an interesting topic. There were constantly meetings going on to determine if accomidations needed to be made for students. These were called ARD's. Have no idea what it stands for but it was a meeting between parents, teachers, and councilors, to discuss the students needs. Many times the outcome was as much time as they needed to complete the standard test. So one year they have a kid who does terrible on the practice tests, gets extra tutoring and is still not doing well and so they get him the extra time. Test day in April comes and he gets all day to finish the test. Other kids get like 2.5 hours. He does a little above average on the reading portion, but score a 100% perfect score on the math portion of the test. Everyone claims it is because he got the extra time, well yes, and no. Turns out one of the last ditch efforts Teachers use to get kids to pass the test is a series of lessons on testing theroy and "gaming" the system. With all day to work the test on the math side the kid simply took all four answers on the multiple choice test (one of the accomidations given on standardized test is that instead of five possible answers, you only get 4 possible answers) and worked backward to see if the answer was right. Don't have to understand the problem, just plug and play. He learned it from the series of lessons in testing theroy or gaming the system.

So yeah some need extra time, and some need help but in reality that assistance can really tilt the scale. Yes people will say I don't understand that some kids need the time or the help, but in life, (or a job, or college acceptance, or real life) you will not be accomidated. So exactly what are we setting some of these kids up for. The expectation that the world is fair is nice but not the relaity we live in.
These are unusual accommodations that some of these celebrity children received. Unlimited time and individual testing are definitely not standard. (Small group and time and a half are standard)
Eyebrows should have been raised with the accommodations and scores.
The College Board isn't so shy about rejecting other students' scores
https://nypost.com/2019/01/03/student-says-she-didnt-cheat-on-the-sat-she-just-worked-hard/

Not unexpected:

OLD promo pic of When Calls the Heart.

268x0w.jpg

New promo pic as the show retools.

53830332_1154383341389265_7671322343871873024_o.jpg

Bye, Bye Lori! :wave2:

Last edited:
These people are going to jail and the IRS is gonna have a field day with all the fraud atop it. Not a pretty picture.
Prison is only one of the possible sentencing options for the charges against Loughlin and Huffman. Much more likey, their sentences would involve probation and community service.
I had another thought too. I wonder if there are 100s of other celebrities, prominent people shaking right now at home, who were not caught. Maybe this turns into a Heidi Fleiss thing.. that this guy gives out more names negotiate with prosecutors. You know a black book on parents bribing schools.
Singer has already admitted full responsibility in federal court Tuesday and pleaded guilty to pleaded guilty to racketeering conspiracy, money laundering, tax conspiracy, and obstruction of justice. Any negotiations are done.

The other issue is the dubious practice of wealthy families 'donating' large sums of money to a college and there is a wink/nod type behavior that allows their child to more easily get accepted as a result of that donation.
That's not the crime committee here. In fact, it's not a crime, period, from what I can find.
Maybe this whole situation will cause greater scrutiny of many supposed "non-profit" organizations who are really running them as a business and using it as a clever way to avoid paying taxes. I think many people have the faulty notion that a non-profit organization means the employees are all volunteers, which is generally not the case. Top people in those organizations are often paid as much or more then their counterparts working in 'for profit' companies.
Could I ask why you believe there isn't already extreme scrutiny of nonprofits by the IRS and other government entities?
Still not seeing the crime for the movie stars here. They paid a consultant. They did not tell the consultant how to do his job. Its a college, they collect money from everyone, every building has a name, every bench, every drinking fountain. It would not be unusual at all to give a school money and expect a favor in return, it is done 1000 times a day
Huffman and Loughlin are charged with conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter